“A jewel of a place in Florence” 5 of 5 stars

1865 Residenza d'epoca
Via Luigi Carlo Farini, 12 | Florence, 50121 Florence, Italy   |
Ranked #1 of 521 Florence B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“A jewel of a place in Florence”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

You just come in and you feel at home.
Our room, named Carl Hillebrand, was provided with bed linen of high quality, a very comfortable bed, huge bathroom with a fantastic sized walk-in shower.
Very nice view on a private garden: slept wonderfully!
Free buffet with tea, coffee, biscuits and fruits all day long.
Michel, the owner, prepares every morning an excellent breakfast with lots of options.
A jewel of a place in Florence; we could not recommend this b&b enough.

Room Tip: Carl Hillebrand room with a wonderful view over a private garden
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
  • Turkish first
Brussels, Belgium
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2012

Simply the perfect base to explore Florence if you look for an authentic and luxurious hotel (we stayed four nights on our honeymoon trip). This hotel is beautifully designed in typical Florentine style, yet with a modern touch, in order to offer its guests all comfort. Due to the hotel’s small size and the owners’ genuine – yet discrete – hospitality, we really felt “at home” quickly. Everything – from the smallest detail – is made to offer their guests an unforgettable stay: spacious hotel room with domotics, fine art work and high ceilings, delicious breakfast with fresh ingredients, 24h “open bar” (fresh fruit, croissants, etc.), personalized do’s and don’ts in Florence, small honeymoon gift… In summary, this hotel breathes hospitality and luxury.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Naples, Florida, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

This was our favorite B&B out of the three different places we stayed during our vacation in Italy this May. Michel was a wonderful host and made us feel very welcomed. He even woke up early to prepare us breakfast since our train left so early on our last day of our stay. He made the best scrambled eggs (with truffle oil) I have ever eaten in my life. Our room had a beautiful fresco on the ceiling and a beautiful view from our window of a garden below. It was so quiet at night, you would never know you were staying in a city yet it was so close to all of the tourist sites that we never used public transportation the whole time we stayed there. Top notch! Definitely don't miss this B & B.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

I had an amazing experience at 1865. The hotel is incredible with attention paid to every detail from the decor, bathrooms, breakfast. The owners go above and beyond to make your stay comfortable. They offer great restaurant recs, directions, and anything else you need.
I would stay here again in a heartbeat!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
St Louis
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2012

This is the Best B&B we have ever stayed. Every detatl of the space is beautiful, extremely well designed and breath taking. Michel and Cinzia are passionate about all the details and love doing what they do. I will recommend this to all my friends and only hope I will be able to get a room the next time in Firenze

Room Tip: They are all beautiful
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

My husband said it best in his review - Michel and Cinzia are the heart of 1865.

Our stay here was more than I ever expected it to be. We arrived and they warmly invited us in as if we were part of their family ready to stay with them for the week. Cinzia sat down with us and helped us figure out restaurants that worked with our itinerary. Her suggestions were excellent. They were always ready to help and answer any of our questions. Even prior to our arrival, Michel was quick to respond to my inquiries.

Breakfast every morning was wonderful with fresh breads, cheeses, hams, fruits and other special treats. If Michel offers you eggs, do not hesitate, say YES. I must admit I miss his special scrambled eggs with white truffle. There is a 24 hour espresso bar in the breakfast room available all the time and during the day you can find treats like fruit and/or fresh pastries.

The room was as spacious, beautiful and flawless as in the photographs. I felt at home during my entire stay. I did not want to leave and when the time came I was actually sad to say goodbye to Cinzia and Michel. There is no doubt that when we return to Florence, we will be staying here again. We told them, we hope they always have a room for us.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

What an amazing place! It's hard to come up with the words to describe a place I loved this much, but I'm going to give it a shot.

There are so many amazing things to rant and rave about with this hotel. The rooms are spacious and beautiful!The fresco on the ceilings are amazing. It's old world and completely modern at the same time. No matter what I rant and rave about at this hotel, if its the spacious room, the modern and spacious bathroom (unlike most in Europe), the cleanliness of hotel, the complimentary liquor, the great little espresso machine ready and waiting for you 24/7, walk-ability of the location of the hotel... all of it is great but not the highlight of the hotel.

The highlight of the hotel and what really truly makes this place GREAT are the OWNERS. Michel and Cynthia, from the time we checked in they made us feel at home! With most hotels you come in contact with hotel employees (3) times... Check in, if you run into them for your room cleaning, and check out. Not so with this place, at all. Michel and Cynthia are intimately involved with the daily running of the hotel and making sure you are happy.

Breakfast is served. Our first morning at 1865 we woke up for breakfast, and boy was I happy we did. I woke up early for our tour and went out to the dining area and joined some of the other guests at the dining table. Shortly there after I was greeted by Michel and given a short lesson on how to operate the Illy espresso maching in the dining room so I could get my caffeine fix! After my lesson Michel asked me "Enzo, can I make you some eggs?" I took him up on his offer as did my wife when she joined us shortly there after. The eggs were amazing as were the assortment of hams, cheese, breads, pastry and other goodies that awaited us each morning for breakfast, even on mornings where my wife and I left extra early for a tour or some other adventure, Michel made sure there was something waiting for us for breakfast in the morning!!! This became our morning ritual, and part of that ritual was Michel or Cynthia asking about our prior day in Florence and what we had planned for the days ahead. This conversation was very valuable as the insight and recommendations that Cynthia and Michel offered were SPOT ON! Everything from the restaurants to the laundry, hands down TOP NOTCH! Their local knowledge shows they really care about their guests experience in Florence and clearly not doing it for some kickback from a vendor. Some of the restaurants that were recommended were very busy and I was happy to have the reservations that Michel and Cynthia made for us!

SO while I could go on and on about the amenities and features of the hotel, I'm going to leave you with this... Michel and Cynthia are what makes this a great place to stay. You can find most of what else this hotel offers at other hotels, but you would be very hard pressed to find SERVICE, ATTENTION TO DETAIL, and GENUINE CONCERN for the guests that Michel and Cynthia exhibited day in and day out of our stay!
I felt like I was staying with family and I look forward to staying with Michel and Cynthia again at their very beautiful and comfortable hotel!
I absolutely loved my stay at 1865 Residenza d'epoca and I was very sad to leave and go on to our next hotel in Rome.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to 1865 Residenza d'epoca? Share your experiences!