“Lovely hotel, great value for money” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Package Deal
Ranked #10 of 461 hotels in Florence
Frankfurt
“Lovely hotel, great value for money”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

We stayed at il Guelfo Bianco back in August. The rooms were lovely (very charming in a typical florentina style) and very clean. The service was always friendly and informative. The location is extremely central. Also loved the food served at their bistro (downstairs), they offer simple and delicious toscana dishes - all ingredients from their organic (bio) farm. It can get a little difficult to reach it by car, as only residents are allowed in that area. So if you are going in, please make sure that you notify the hotel ahead of time, so that they can make the necessary arrangements and help you prevent a juicy fine!

Room Tip: During our stay we tried 2 rooms due to the fact that the hotel was a little full and we were reques...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

1,486 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (177)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

Il Guelfo Bianco is a beautifully restored building that houses an exceptionally well-decorated hotel just a short stroll from the Museo Accademia and no more than a leisurely 10 minute walk from the Duomo. Staff were, for the most part, very pleasant and helpful. I believe that judgments of the hotel will depend on the room assigned. Our traveling companions occupied a deluxe room on the second floor toward the rear of the building, far from street sounds. It was capacious, quiet and quite lovely in every respect. Our room, on the first floor, faced the front of the hotel, and was subject to all the street noise. If one kept the windows closed, the noise was not a problem; sound insulation was superb. Unfortunately, with windows closed during our December visit, the room was far too warm for us, with the temperature reaching 24 degrees Celsius. The front desk responded to my complaint by cutting off the heat to our room, but the temperature remained uncomfortably warm with windows closed. Our deluxe room was also about 30 to 40 percent smaller than that of our traveling companions. Based on our experience, I would request a room off the street side. I would be remiss if I failed to mention the very nice breakfasts served cheerfully each morning. Very good, indeed. All in all, I believe that Il Guelfo Bianco is a fine establishment that offers guests a great value and I would not hesitate to return if I could be assured of securing a non-street-front room. On that basis, I give it a top rating.

Room Tip: Per my review, seek a non-street-front room.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Reading, PA
2,894 helpful votes 2,894 helpful votes
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

This charming and beautifully appointed hotel is very conveniently located. You can easily walk to all the major sights. The staff are pleasant and professional.

Prior to our first visit, I had numerous emails with various staff to decide which room to book. After I made my decision, they agreed to assign that room to me. Now, I supppose because they have become very popular, they are reluctant to guarantee a particular room - even if booked months in advance. Fortunately, we have been able to get the room we wanted for all three of our visits. It is a beautiful, spacious room with high coffered ceilings and antique furnishings. It is quiet since it faces the courtyard.

The breakfast is one of the best I have ever had. Everything is fresh and very tasty. Their brochure explains where where the milk, olive oil and many of the other products come from. It is obvious everything is of the highest quality. I just wish breakfast were served earlier than 7:30. The major museums in Florence open at 8:15. The three days we were at the hotel, the breakfast room was very busy at 7:30. There was only one (very hard working) person who was setting up the buffet and taking and preparing the hot beverage orders. If breakfast were served earlier, perhaps everyone would not come at the same time since I am sure many of the "early birds" were there for the same reason we were - to get to the museums for 8:15 reservations.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Phoenix
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

All I can say is thank you for your wonderful hospitaility I enjoyed for my first visit to Florence. The room, breakfast and location were excellent. When I return, I will be staying at your place again. Now if I can just figure out how to get your staff to make me an expresso in my home in the states. Great time and experience.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

This was our second stay at the Il Guelfo Bianco in Florence. We had 2 rooms for 3 nights and our family of 4 enjoyed the hospitality very much. The hotel location is excellent and the staff is very helpful and knowledgable which helps considerably. The rooms are comfortable and very clean. The inlcuded breakfast has a variety of wonderful items which helps begin the day. We will gladly stay in this fine hotel on our next trip to Florence. Good job, well done.
Thank very much.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013 via mobile

I booked this hotel for 4 nights for my parents and I. My parents loved the quaint feeling of the hotel, thought the staff were very gracious and enjoyed the spacious room and bathroom. The breakfast is a great value, with delicious cold cut meats, cheese, yogurt, granola, fruit AND they have an espresso bar so they make you lattes, cappuccinos etc!

We also loved the welcome drink we received.

The only thing i thought the hotel might be able to improve upon was the wifi, which is a little inconvenient to use since you have to re-enter a username/ password everytime you want to use it.

• Stayed December 2012
GUELFOMANAGER, Manager at Il Guelfo Bianco, responded to this review, January 8, 2013
Dear mussmoto05,

I wish to thank you very much for the nice words you had for our hotel and we are so happy you liked our breakfast.
Regarding the wi-fi I wish to inform you and all the TripAdvisors readers that we do have a line available only for the hotel guests which is offer free of charge. . When we settle the wi/fi system we could choose between a system where you have to enter an user and a password or a system where you have to enter only a password. If the system requires only a password you need to enter it only once and then you can surf always if the system requires both (user and password as our system) every time you wish to surf you must enter user and password again. That’s why when a customer arrived we always print for him/her a paper with user and password.
I really hope to welcome you here again and I remain with my best regards
Antonella Rocchini
Knoxville, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2013

The location cannot be beat! The breakfasts were wonderful, all fresh and organic ingredients. The coffee was the best in all of Italy that I tried (and I tried a lot of coffee). The staff were very helpful. Caution driving to the hotel, there are limited traffic zones, read about this if you do not know what they are. Follow the directions given by the hotel, not Google. Parking is expensive.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with family

Been to Il Guelfo Bianco? Share your experiences!