“lovely hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #9 of 461 hotels in Florence
London
“lovely hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

I loved this hotel. The service was excellent right from the initial booking enquiries to car parking service, to allowing our (very well behaved) little dog stay. Our room was perfect and very comfortable. I'll stay there again when in Firenze.

Room Tip: we asked for a room overlooking the garden - I'm not sure this made any difference or if all the...

1,480 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (175)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Minneapolis
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

We booked this due to the good reviews and central location. I would first note that Florence is quite compact and pretty much anywhere in town is "central" and within walking distance of the sites.
Our room was on the first floor and apparently the smells and sounds from the main floor restaurant waft up. I'm sure others notice the smell as there was an air freshner plugged into the outlet in the room.
The most concerning aspect was the lack of someone at the front desk one night - we returned from dinner and waited for a couple of minutes for someone to appear and give us our room key. Finally I just walked behind the desk and grabbed our key off the wall. At no time did anyone appear or question us. The evening clerk seemed to be sitting in the back engrossed in his computer. Someone could easily grabbed any key and gained access to a room.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
GUELFOMANAGER, Manager at Il Guelfo Bianco, responded to this review, December 28, 2012
Dear Ophelia89,
I am sorry you had such a bad memory about your stay with us. As you wrote you choose your hotel because you read good reviews and luckily people who stay with us are always very happy about the rooms , the staff and also they are so happy when they eat at our restaurant. First of all I would like to point out that our restaurant is open just for lunch (we closed at 8,30 and we do not serve dinner). The restaurant is on the low floor on the back side and our chef start to cook around 11 am and closed the kitchen at 3,00 pm. We do serve all express dishes so our chef cook everything day by day. We do have a large van above the kitchen and usually nobody never complain about smell but often they are so curious when they smell good food and they always ask us the recipes. A couple of months ago we did print also several recipes to give as gift to our customers for this reason. I could guarantee to you that it’s first time someone complain about the smell and sounds from the kitchen. However we will do our best to avoid this kind of problems in the future. In the afternoon our chef make some cakes and I could guarantee to you that our guests are always so excited when they arrive and they smell chocolate of fruit cakes . Often they do follow the smell and they do ask a slice of cake ……
I really do apologize because you didn’t find anybody at the front desk when you come back after dinner. It could happen that the night auditor leaves the front desk when someone from the rooms need help as we do not have porters or chambermaid here all night long and we try to solve problems immediately. Reading the reviews (I read you left 24 reviews regarding the hotels and I read all of them I realize that maybe you are more comfortable when you travel in a different kind of hotels where there are many people on duty 24 hours a day (of course it’s only my opinion which could be also wrong and it’s not absolutely a suggestion for you.
All the night auditor know that if they need to leave the front desk to get the upper floor they must close the main door. I will talk with them again to be sure all of them obey this rule. I am sorry you had the feeling the evening clerk was sitting in the back engrossed in his computer. We usually care a lot about our guests (luckily many people have nice words about our staff) but we have also a lot of works to do with our computer. Sorry you had this feeling . Once again I do apologize for it but trust me we are very careful about people who came in and we have a very good camera system to have always the situation under control. With you we have been not able to leave you a good memory and we are sorry for it we will work on it to be sure to avoid this kind of reviews in the future. You have my word we will do it.
I wish you an Happy New year. Best regards.
Antonella Rocchini
Seattle, WA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2012

Everything about Il Guelfo Bianco was excellent. Our rooms were spacious and charming (my husband and I had a view of the surprising garden in back of the hotel). We got excellent advice about nearby restaurants. The location cannot be beat. And the breakfasts (those beautiful, perfectly ripe September tomatoes!) were absolutely splendid. I'd have forgone pasta and every other Florentine specialty if I could've had breakfast at Il Guelfo Bianco for every meal.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

Pickup service and all in the hotel were brilliant! They were always ready to provide assistance/advice! The room was big enough for 5 of us and we had a wonderful stay! Walking distance to colosseum, restaurants and "mini-mart"

Room Tip: Room with balcony way to go!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Smithtown, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012

This was my second visit to this small scale hotel, and it proved to be as wonderful as the first.

From arranging car service to and from airport(incredably same driver as 3 years ago) to the very familar faces among the staff.

The very delightful breakafast adds to the feel of coming home.

Spacious room which was nicely appointed and satisfied all our needs,was just as lovley as we remembered from 3 years ago.

this hotel has maintained its charm and quality and value over a three year period.

Quite an accomplishment in these days and times.

its old world charm and central location makes this hotel a winner

we will come back again

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Cambridge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012

We booked this hotel because of the reviews on trip advisor and we were not disappointed. The staff were very friendly and helpful, the hotel is very close to the centre and our room on the first floor was clean, comfortable and looked great. This hotel is excellent value!!

Alghero
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

My wife and i really enjoyed our stay here last week. The staff were very helpfull and friendly and the room was clean and very comfortable. It's close to all the major attractions and there are lots of great resteraunts withing walking distance.

Room Tip: Stayed in Room 111 it was really nice with a courtyard view.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Il Guelfo Bianco? Share your experiences!