“Not what I expected” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #15 of 461 Hotels in Florence
La Jolla, California
“Not what I expected”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2011

I really wanted to like this hotel, as do so many TripAdvisor reviewers. And there is a lot to like: the location, the good breakfasts, the charming new bistro "Il Desco", the antique wood furniture, an elevator, spacious rooms, helpful and charming Antonella at the front desk. However, when I booked and the hotel confirmed a "Twin Deluxe Room", I certainly did not expect one of the two beds to be a fold-out sofa. Not only was it less comfortable than a real bed, but it was musty, and three times I found small spiders crawling on the top sheet. When I mentioned this to a man at the front desk, he shrugged. I wound up sharing the real bed with my companion, which was not our preference. The room very large and nicely decorated, with carpeting that matched the covers on the real bed. But the carpeting was heavily stained and left the soles of my white slippers quite a dark grey. The mirror on the inside of the bathroom door had not been cleaned before our arrival and remained heavily splashed and spotted until the morning of the fifth day of our stay. Some torn paper and a small hair band stayed on the hall carpet outside our door for the same five days before finally being vacuumed. Loved the fresh and, in many cases, organic foods at breakfast. The two people working in the breakfast room could not have worked faster or harder than they did to clear tables, stock the buffet, and serve coffees. Unfortunately, there were too few staff members for the task, and messy, used, uncleared tables do not make for a pleasant atmosphere, even out on the attractive patio. I will look for an alternative on my next trip.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
GUELFOMANAGER, Manager at Il Guelfo Bianco, responded to this review, October 3, 2011
Dear Mrs Julia,

I do remmeber you and your husband : two lovely people. First of all I would like to thank you for the nice words you had for our hotel even if I am sorry you hadn’t a good memory about your stay. When you booked the room you asked to have a twin de luxe quiet near the elevator. Our hotel is housed in two palaces next each other and all the rooms are different. We have several rooms you can reach them climbing a couple of steps , some you can get directly by elevator, some rooms overlooking Via Cavour (main street but we have triple glasses and double windows because when we open the hotel in 1989 was a very busy street while now its’ 70% pedestrian so it’ s no more so busy). We decided to assign that room to you and your husband because it was near the elevator and in a quiet position. That room has a large bed and a sofa which can be a bed when people prefer to have two separated beds. We haven’t room with two double beds: our room could be with two single beds, one large bed or a large bed and a sofa bed (even if our sofa bed have a real mattress and not just a soft and thin one).
I spoke with the chambermaid regarding the cleaning. If it was not perfect as it has to be always here, I have to say “sorry”. However I am at the hotel every day and I am always available for the customers so I would appreciate if you advice me about it.
I am happy you like the food we served for breakfast. You wrote that not all people working there were doing a good job. They all say sorry even if we know the word “sorry” sometimes is not enough. Maybe we had to do a better job alltogether to leave you a good memory about your stay with us.

I will really appreciate if you decide to come back and I will promise to you our staff will do the best possible to offer to you and your husband a pleasant stay. Please give us a second chance :-)
Take care and best regards.
Antonella Rocchini

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (196)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2011

We spent 6 nights in this charming hotel and found everything to be delightful. Our daughter was getting married in Florence and the wedding planner made the recommendation. The layout is charming and the decor is wonderfully authentic. The food was amazing...so fresh and delicious. The location was perfect; we were able to walk to everything. Service was wonderful and the staff was always cheerful. The breakfasts were the best of any hotel.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2011

My wife and I just spent 8 nights in this wonderful hotel for our 40th wedding anniversary trip to Florence and Tuscany. The entire staff is uniformly cheerful and helpful. Dario, Daniele, and Antonella were always ready to assist us with reservations, suggestions, and more. The breakfasts got us off to a good start each day with choices which were fresh, delicious, and plentiful. The extended breakfast schedule is great for both early risers and those who might need a little extra sleep one morning. Great location -- only a 10 minute walk to the train station if you need to meet an early morning tour bus or catch a train to a nearby town. It's also an easy walk to every museum, church, etc. A great choice for anyone visiting Florence!

Room Tip: Our room on the 4th floor was very quiet.
Antwerp, Belgium
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2011

Hard to imagine one would wish to stay anywhere else for the money in Firenze. This is a perfectly located hostelry built from an old palazzo. Its rooms are well-decorated, quiet, clean and the staff is perfectly gracious. You can walk to EVERY ATTRACTION, even at MY AGE, without difficulty! I think that Sra. Antonella works far too hard and should take a few days off, but it pays off in the repeat visitors this place gets. She promised me a "French bed," which was larger than a single, and indeed it was. Also placed me next to a quiet courtyard on 4th floor where I could linger. Breakfast can be taken indoors or out, and is quite lovely and filling. All fittings and fixtures were fine, adequate lighting and ooh--- olive oil toiletries. I regret only not asking for restaurant recommendations from the cheerful staff as I heard other guests raving about where they dined. I would definitely stay here again and recommend it highly. As far as Europe goes, I live here and say: Forget the European capitals --- put Firenze and Bologna at top of your list, enjoy this hotel, you won't regret it.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2011

My wife and I spent 10 days in Italy. We arrived in Rome and stayed 4 nights (1 night at one hotel and 3 nights at another hotel. We then went to Rome and stayed at Il Guelfo Bianco and then travelled to Venice for 3 nights. The nicest place we stayed was Il Guelfo Bianco. The Staff was fantastic and the rooms were clean and large. Prior to arriving they helped up arrange a trip into Chianti and also a cooking class. They were always helpful and has great recommendations for restaurants and gelato. The hotel was also the least expensive of any of the hotels we stayed in in Italy. My wife and I cannot wait to return to Florence and will definitely stay at Il Guelfo Bianco again....Awesome

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2011

My boyfriend and I stayed here for four nights and couldn't have been happier with our hotel selection. From the moment we got there, the staff was well-prepared for our stay, hospitable, helpful and efficient, which continued through the remainder of our stay. Our room faced an inside courtyard and was incredibly peaceful and quiet. The room itself was charming, cozy and very clean. We had our own private patio that was HUGE. It was pretty sparse but had a table and a couple of chairs. The breakfast was generally pretty good and, once again, the service during breakfast was outstanding. Best of all was the location. The hotel is located a few blocks north of the Duomo on a street that gets less foot traffic than most of the streets in the center. From the hotel you're no more than a 15 minute walk away from most destinations in the center of Florence.

We didn't really have any gripes, but if we had to nit pick, the shower water temperature fluctuated and was a bit unpredictable. The room was a bit on the small side. Also we did have one evening when we arrived back at the hotel around 2am and the front door was locked. We knocked on the door for about 10 minutes before a woman from the night staff heard us, but this wasn't a big deal.

Overall, this was an absolutely fantastic hotel and we would highly recommend it to anyone making a visit to the beautiful city of Florence. Thank you Il Guelfo Bianco!

Darwin, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2011

My husband & I travelled to Florence in September, 2011 and stayed at Il Guelfo Bianco. We only have positive comments to say regarding our stay in this hotel. A special thank you to Antonella for helping us arrange our Renewal of Marriage Vow Ceremony and we would also like to thank Francesco on the front desk for his warm and friendly manner. The room was lovely and the breakfast was perfecto, a nice blend of Italian flavours and the Espresso was always a good start to the day. The hotel was in a good location and within walking distance to Florence attractions. We will most definately stay again on our next trip to Italy. Grazie.
Anita & Andrew Young

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Il Guelfo Bianco? Share your experiences!