“Great hotel.. good location” 5 of 5 stars

Veneto Hotel
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   33 Via Reparata, 50129 Florence, Italy   |
Ranked #407 of 461 Hotels in Florence
parchman
“Great hotel.. good location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2009

Stayed two nights and no complaints whatsoever.

Staff on front desk were very helpful when I needed help. Don't understand the criticisims on here. Have no worries about staying here. This is a great hotel with friendly staff in a good location. Highly recommended.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
leicester
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2009

To put it simply... AWFUL!
This review really relates to both Hotel Veneto and B&B Adre which they advertise as well.
We arrived in the evening to find a building (Adre address) with scaffolding around it and no sign, just push buttons on a door which nobody answered.
After phoning the proprietor, we were escorted to their main hotel (Veneto) around the corner. Take note..the photo's on that hotel site bear no resemblance whatsoever to the hotel. It is dark,dank and more like what you would expect in a 50's Bronx film or somewhere shady in Columbia.
We were offered what we thought to be a better room in the hotel as it was cooler than that of the scaffolded building site called Adre.
I cannot describe the deflation we felt on seeing the room. We should have walked out but it was debatable whether we could find accomodation at short notice so we stuck it out as we were only there 2 days. We spoke to other residents and it seems the rooms were consistent in poor quality.
Plaster was coming away from wall, switches damaged, taped up wiring to air con, dingy paintwork, windows that wouldn't shut. A coat of paint would have made a difference!
The hotel is rated 2 star, I cannot imagine what for as I have been in ungraded accomodation that would rank 5 star in comparison.
I also suspect they have false positive reviews on both sites.
See my Adre review for pics of Veneto.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple

Travelers are raving about these Florence hotels

PERTH
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2008

nice clean room & bathroom. 15min walk to main train station. walking distance to all sights. ok breakfast included. helpful staff

• Stayed July 2008
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Thessaloniki, Greece
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2007

Well, if you guys respect yourselves, wherever you travel in Italy, start from a 3 stars hotel if you don't want to complain later and feel sorry for the trip! Anyway, keep in mind to look for a key posted at the entrance, by the front door, for each registered hotel. The hotels that don't have that key are illegal!!!

Hotel Veneto can be good or bad; depends from where you look. It has advantages and disadvantages like everything else in life.
The best thing is of course its location - in the middle of "everything", close to every main museum or objective made you came to Florence (so, no need for taxi or public transportation...just a nice walk on the beautiful streets of the old town).

For the ppl that don't know, the hotel has two buildings, one of them used in case of "emergencies", when the main hotel is full. If you are offered a room in the old building, you can pass it and look for something else. Better to spend 25 euro more and stay in decent conditions. The only nice thing for the room in the old building is the person who plays the piano so wonderful. The rest is just a hard experience, especially for ppl used with a higher standard.

The room in the main building, the one we've got, was ok except for the shower. Missing a bath tube, the water spread allover the bathroom and after shower you should fly in order to get out of the bathroom. The building is old and constructed in old Italian fashion, meaning that you can hear your neighbours chatting sometimes. It can be disturbing and quite annoying for the sensitive ppl of for the ones who would appreciate a nice nap during the afternoon, between two museum visits. It is true that the breakfast is lame, poor, but considering the prices anywhere in town, you can have your tea or coffee (especially if the Romanian young lady is on duty) and few slices of toast with butter and gem; better than nothing. I don't know how are the rest of the meals, because it was too hot when we've been there and ate only in the evenings, to the restaurant next door (food is excellent, service is excellent, prices a bit high for the portions you get, but you don't go to Florence to eat food, but art and culture, so...).

The personnel was excellent since the first moment. Actually, we had a reservation to a hotel close by, which room was like a jail room, with toilet inside, smelling awfully. We ran away from there as fast as we could and tried to find something else according to our budget. The gentleman in the reception offered us a room for one night in the old building, promising a better one next day, in the main building. And so it was. We stayed for 5 days altogether but i never saw anybody smoking, especially the manager, Mrs. Maddalena, who was very kind and carry since the first moment. It is true that the place looks like run by a family and this thing makes you feel somehow that you belong over there, in Florence, even only for few days. You feel like being at home in the Universe.

Bottom of line, for its price and stars, you get the best conditions you can get in Italy.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Shower
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Slovenija
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2007

A BIG LIE – datas of this hotel wrote on the web!! Rooms are in old building at 3rd floor Via XXIV Settembre. Not on Via Santa Reparata as it is said in the description. There's no internet, TV, fridge etc. Rooms are not an approximation to what the photo on the web shows. They are dirty with extremly small bathroom. The owner yelled at tourists all the time and was extremly rude to everybody. She blackmail for the price, don't want to accept credit card etc. KEEP AWAY OF THIS HOTEL!

• Liked — only position of the hotel
  • Disliked — stuff, cleaness
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Singapore
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2007

This hotel gave us the worst experience ever in the whole of our italy trip. On the last day of my trip with another friend, my silver paper bag with some of my belongings (thank God they were of low value) were actually stolen in the room itself! We always make sure that our doors were locked before we went out. Funny enough, after a long day at 11pm, we unlocked our room door to discover my bag was missing. We confronted the receptionist about it and he called someone. This very unprofessional and extremely rude Italian lady (yes that chain smoker ppl are talking about), who claims to be in charge, came in and argued (what courtesy!) with us at first sight! Here was how she dealt with us:
- always cutting in before we could explained clearly the problem. She refused to listen to us even when we do sound polite.
- refused to believe our claims, defending and insisting her cleaners/staff are 'honest' without doing any proper investigation
- extremely aggressive in her attitude towards us, cursing us in Italian and screaming at us
- touched our belongings without permission when we allowed her to our room (no. 302 in a building across the main one)
- she was already smoking a cigarette when she came into our room (we are non-smokers) and threw the cigarette out of our window in frustration, cursing a swear word in italian
- told us to get out of the hotel (we had already paid for that night, and luckily it was our last night in Florence) in the middle of the night, us two young girls!
- told us to go to the police station ourselves without helping us get a taxi
- she expected us to return in 30 minutes after our complaint with the police, screaming that she had a child to take care of (without considering us foreigners alone in a foreign land where we could hardly speak a word of Italian, and it was already close to midnight)

Our room was also in such a poor condition when we first came in:
- frame of the door was weak and rotting
- back wall of the cupboard had already collapsed
- no fan or air-conditioner unlike other 2-star hotels we stayed in Italy, making the summer heat unbearable
- TV had bad reception
- security of customers highly in question
Note: We were told by the tourist information board that such hotel qualities are ILLEGAL in Italy!

All these were very opposite their claims in their website, and is DEFINITELY not 2-star quality. It was also rather obvious that the lady's extreme and defensive attitude greatly weakened the hotel's reputation and heightened our suspicion in their involvement with the theft. After all, she claimed that only THEY have access to our rooms.

We had reported to the police about the burglary that night. The next day we complained to the tourist information about this incident which you guys are now reading. Thankfully on that fateful night, we found another hotel nearby that had room for us.

So PLEASE DO NOT stay in Hotel Veneto unless you want to risk getting your belongings stolen, highly unprofessional services or being cheated of your stay and what you paid for!!!!

Stayed June 2006
Edo de Mexico, mexico
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2006

I was visiting some european cities with my daughter for a month.I can't complain about almost anything.When you book a room at a hotel that is not 5 stars , you must be ready to deal with small, uncomfortable rooms, maybe not so neat,etc
But what I never expected was that a reservation made online, wouldn't be respected.
When my daughter and I arrived to the hotel there was a young woman who wanted our passports.She wrote down some information from them and gave them back to me. After that I was waiting to get a room key and some information about breakfast , facilities ( hehe) etc.instead of that she just said SORRY BUT I HAVE NO ROOMS
I couldn't believe what i justhad heard. I told her that i had booked the room a month ago.She said SORRY the hotel was overbooked, so i have no rooms.
I was really upset and I told her that she would need to solve it right away because I wouldn't leave nor try to find another hotel.
After she realized that I wouldn't leave she made a phone call asking somebody to get a room somewhere else.

I told her that I wouldn't pay an extra dime for a room at other hotel, and I added that what she did , not respecting a reservation that was confirmed online was a bad mistake, and that I would complain.

Her answer was that she didn't care and that nothing would happen if I complained to the webpage I used to book a room there.

After some minutes, and for some reason she changed her mind.Suddenly another maid showed up and led us to a building not far from the hotel.
The building was dark,dirty and the key to open the lift didn't work, until another guest opened it.
She guided us to a room that was a complete mess, it looked like nobody had cleaned it in ages. The matress couldn't be worse, the bathroom was so tiny that taking a shower there was a nightmare.
I read the former reviews, so I don't need to add much more.
As I said at the beginning of this review, you should expect almost whatever when you book a budget hotel room , but having problems with an online reservation should be a good reason for anybody, who wants to visit Florence, to avoid this terrible hotel.

• Stayed June 2006

Been to Veneto Hotel? Share your experiences!