“Good but bed bugs in room 102” 4 of 5 stars
Review of NH Collection Firenze Porta Rossa

You added NH Collection Firenze Porta Rossa to your Saves list
NH Collection Firenze Porta Rossa
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Via Porta Rossa,19 | Porta Rossa, City Centre, 50123 Florence, Italy (Formerly NH Porta Rossa)   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
€15 for your next stay
Ranked #27 of 461 Hotels in Florence
“Good but bed bugs in room 102”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013 via mobile

Just wrapped a two-day stay at this hotel with our teenagers and my parents. We booked 4 rooms - all beautiful and right in the heart of Florence's best shopping district. We checked on the first day and everything was going great until I received a late evening call from daughters in room 102. They had found two bugs on their bed. Thinking nothing of it, I told them to kill the bugs and get some sleep. Five minutes later they called again having found another. I went to their room and looked at the round brown bugs they had disposed of in the toilet. I did not recognize the bugs. I checked their bed and did not see anymore. I then checked the upholstered headboard and found several reddish orange small bugs crawling up and down. At this point I suspected these bugs were bed bugs. I called the front desk and they immediately moved the girls to another room. I googled images for bed bugs and realized that the bigger bugs were adult bed bugs and the smaller ones were nymphs (younger bed bugs). I immediately had the girls take a warn shower and bagged their PJs in a ziplock bag. The girls hardly slept the night because the were disturbed by the bugs and were worried about them popping up in their new room. I checked the new room, the boy's room and my room but did not find any evidence bed bugs.

When I told the hotel I did not think it was right to charge me the one night for the girl's room after the hassle and inconvenience (because I will now have to take precautions to ensure I don't bring any bugs into my own home) they still charged me for the one night for room 102- despite the fact that we were paying for 8 nights in total.

Again, the hotel is beautiful and in a good location, but do not stay in room 102. The front desk said housekeeping had checked the room the next day and not found anything. They did not check the room in the evening so I don't think that proves there are no bugs.

• Stayed March 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (141)
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

When we checked in at the hotel they had upgraded us to a junior suite.We asked for recommendations for places to eat a quick lunch and dinner later that night. Great recommendations! When we got to the room it was beautiful! Amazing high ceilings!

They had a great buffet breakfast too! I have no complaints and would recommend this hotel to a friend any day!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Durham, NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

I booked this hotel based on the reviews and again Trip Advisor has not failed me. The hotel is located perfectly in Florence. There is great shopping close by as well as centrally located to all the tourist sites. The staff was freindly and helpful and had some good restaurant recommendations. Since I was travelling by myself I booked a single room which is smaller by all other reviews I have read, but large enough to be comfortable. The room was clean and comfortable. I would recommend anyone to stay here.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

I only stayed at this hotel because my regular location was sold out, however,I was pleasantly surprised. Centrally located with a fantastic breakfast!

Concierge was happy to store luggage while we toured and suggested several fabulous restaurants.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Miami
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

This hotel is located in a GREAT centric area! Super close to all the main sites and we walked back and forth to the hotel everyday in no time! We were welcomed by Laurent, who was super nice and immediately upgraded us to a junior suite since we were on our honeymoon. The room was fabulous! A huge bed in the middle of the room, high ceilings and tall windows, a little seating area and 2 TVs. The decor of the whole hotel is beautiful and they did a really nice job combining the classic architecture of the building with the modern decor inside. We had breakfast every at the hotel everyday and it was yummy too!

I do have one negative thing to say about the hotel itself but I still gave it 5 stars because we only suffered through it one night and overall there were so many more positives to counter it! ...The room we were upgraded to was on the first floor overlooking the street and so happened that it was a Saturday night and the noise coming from the street was SOO high we couldn't sleep. Keep in mind, we are totally ok with street noises in Europe and have stayed at other hotels overlooking the street and we don't really care much- but this was very loud. It sounded mostly like people coming back from partying or something and shouting and yelling while walking and it was kind of echoing inside our room all night until about 4-5am when it started to settle down. Sunday night was totally quiet so we decided not to switch rooms because that was our last night in.

That being said, we still think it's a GREAT hotel and would definitely recommend it and stay here again but will make sure to stay in a room facing away from the street or a bit higher up.

Great stay!

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing away from the street for a quieter night sleep.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

I have been staying at the NH Porta Rossa now on an off for the past two years whenever I am in Florence for work and it is as close to home as one can feel in a hotel. The building which is right in the middle of the old centre of the city is stunning and the rooms are luxurious and have a very beautiful old tuscan charm mixed with modern comforts. The hotel staff are extremely lovely and helpful and really go out of their way to make you feel welcome and at home in the hotel. I don't think anything I write would give this hotel justice but if there is one place to stay in Florence that makes you experience the beauty of the city and the charm of its people before even stepping outside, it would be this one.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

Stayed two nights here and had a perfect experience. Our room was huge, more like a suite even though we booked the cheapest room.

Staff is wonderful and very helpful. Breakfast is included and has tons of good options. Also free wifi, although a bit slow.

Location couldnt be better. I would stay here every time I come back and highly recommend.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Been to NH Collection Firenze Porta Rossa? Share your experiences!