“awesome stay” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #30 of 461 hotels in Florence
Erie, Pennsylvania
“awesome stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

I miss Florence. Love this city like no other. NHPR is a great springboard for staying here. The location is in the hear of everything.

Took a cab from the train station. Upon arrival we were given an upgrade for our five night stay. Our room overlooked Piazza Davanzati. One night there was a lot of partying going on outside around 4am - oh well, that's Florence. Drink more wine and this is not a problem.

The room was large, clean and comfortable. The breakfast was more than adequate. But it didnt change much over the 5 days.

The last night of our stay, the Christmas lights were up on Via Porta Rosa. An old man played accordion a few nights below the window.

There is a tabacchi directly across from the hotel entrance. Literally like ten feet. Cafe, bottles of wine, cig, bottled water, etc.

The pizza place on the corner of Piazza Davanzati is amazing - great food and atmosphere.

I would stay here again.

817 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (117)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2012

Booked a 4 night stay. Very happy with the room and the location. Room was a bit on the small side but nothing was wrong with that. Very clean and a great view of the Duomo from my window!

Breakfast was included and was very nice.

• Stayed November 2012
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

The hotel is set in a stunning heritage building and the interior design is exquisite. The location is brilliant - 5 to 10 minutes walk to most attractions.

Our room was large with a comfortable bed.

The service was very helpful.

Breakfast was great including a selection of healthy antioxidant juices as well as the usual bacon, eggs, fruit, pastries, salamis and cheeses. The breakfast room was striking as was the bar, the lounge on each floor and the business centre.

My partner was highly annoyed by the free wifi as it dropped out about once a minute so it was impossible to get anything done on the internet. When he asked at reception they said there were problems last week but they had been fixed. They were clearly not fixed! It was a shame because we had a number of issues to deal with at home and the internet connection made this a frustrating experience.

We also tried to watch a movie by connecting a device by HDMI cable to the TV in our room as there were no English channels. There was a HDMI input but the menu was programmed to block this. The hotel has tech assistance but only Mon-Fri and we stayed on a weekend.

If you want a relaxing stay in a beautiful building I recommend this hotel. But if you have business or personal matters to attend to that require technology this hotel is not currently set up for it.

Raleigh, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2012

If you care about location, design, service, and an overall boutique, one of a kind experience, then the NH Porta Rossa is the right choice. The room was immaculately clean. The staff was so helpful in arranging reservations for museums, restaurants, and giving some good overall insight about making the most of the city. Breakfast was phenomenal and a great way to start a busy day. We had a standard room and found the size to be fine, and very much in line with our expectations for Europe.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Coralville, Iowa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012 via mobile

We got there an were upgraded to a king suite, without even asking. The rooms are very minimally decorated leaving us to appreciate the very nice wooden furniture. Bathroom and shower are large, clean, and modern. 2nd bathroom nice too. The bed is firm but comfortable (seems to be a European theme so far), but the pillows were soft which was a pleasant surprise.
Staff were extremely friendly and helpful. They helped us find restaurants, booked us opera tickets. Wifi is free!

The hotel is located on a small street just off a quiet piazza as well as palazza Vecchio/Uffizi. We were soooo close to everything and didn't have noise issues when trying to sleep.

We had an issue when booking, for some reason the credit card wouldn't process so we booked through Expedia for a slightly higher rate, but still very nice (compared to others in Florence).

Rome, Italy
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012

We stayed at this hotel and upgraded from a standard to a junior room for a fair fee. The room was very nice with a huge bed and a sizeable modern bathroom. The building is beautiful and has a lot of athmosphere. It could have been warmer in our room and also the breakfast was not great, for that reason only 4 out of 5 stars. Otherwise i would certainly recommend this hotel, the location is perfect also.

Jersey City, New Jersey
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012 via mobile

After reading all the wonderful review, I was so excited to stay here. Unfortunately, I felt so uncomfortable in many ways. I have booked a standard room and happened to a a match box room with a tiny bed with no bathtub. When I checked in, I have asked for a room with bathtub. They told me that all the room was fully booked and no room with bathtub. I have checked the website and several rooms were available. The room was so small that it was depressing! Funny thing was that many people including a couple checked in before and after me were both upgraded for free. When I asked for a room with bathtub ( not askin upgrade), they told me that I need to pay 40 euro extra. Are they discriminating single travelers? I have asked several times for a room with bathtub and each time, they disregard my request and kept upgrading others! So unfair!!!!! I hated this hotel so much and I almost left here. I only stayed here for the location.. I am coming back to Florence with my family on May and originally planned to stay here if it was good this time but I'm sure I won't. Never so unhappy to stay in a hotel and almost made me angry.

• Stayed December 2012

Been to NH Porta Rossa? Share your experiences!