“nice public areas, great breakfast, rooftop pool, good wifi” 4 of 5 stars

Grand Hotel Minerva
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Piazza Santa Maria Novella 16, 50123 Florence, Italy   |
Ranked #79 of 461 Hotels in Florence
Atlanta, Georgia
“nice public areas, great breakfast, rooftop pool, good wifi”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2014

the room itself was okay.. slight brief whiff of sewer gas every time you opened the door to the bedroom. little musty, but better than it sounds - good air conditioning, good wifi, very close to the train station on foot (I realized after i took a necessarily circuitous taxi ride. Pleasant staff. Rooftop pool is impressive

The only problem with breakfast was that there is only so much you can eat without bursting...

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (161)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Winchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2014

Even without the rooftop pool, this would be a lovely hotel. Our room was a good size, clean, and quiet - it looked into a small internal courtyard. The staff were always friendly and attentive, and the front desk staff were very helpful. The location is perfect for walking to the main attractions in Florence, and is close to the train and bus stations for day trips (and the airport transfer to Pisa). The hotel is located on a lovely square that has a little bustle for interest, but is not loud or overcrowded.

But best of all was the rooftop pool. It is quite small, but was the perfect place to relax in the afternoon after a morning's sightseeing. The views from the pool area over Florence were fantastic, and it felt like such a treat to be up there.

I would recommend it to any of my friends planning to stay in Florence.

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Middletown, NJ
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 7, 2014 via mobile

Terrible hotel - DO NOT STAY HERE. Our room contained newly varnished furniture, which we were forced to sleep in. The only other room they tried to put us in smelled like cigarettes. I asked to have the Manager contact me, Mr Borroni, and he never did until I stopped by the front desk the next day. We were never given an adequate explanation for making me and my family sleep in a room with oil-based paint fumes, which is known to cause brain cancer (clearly labeled on any varnish can). To add insult to injury, we were never given anything for our troubles, not even measly water bottles in the room we eventually moved to. Completely unacceptable experience.

• Stayed July 2014
FilippoBurroni, Direttore generale at Grand Hotel Minerva, responded to this review, August 12, 2014
Dear Guests,
I am really very sorry that you had a bad stay at our hotel. What you experienced is really far below our usual standards and I perfectly understand your dissatisfaction.
Please allow me to offer some more details as a comment to your review for the benefit of our common readers.
In the morning, prior to your arrival, we had used some wall paint in the room, which is absolutely innocuous. As it seems, the maid did not leave the window open long enough to let the smell vanish: this has been an obvious fault on our procedure, but I can assure you that we would never use dangerous products: please believe me, we value our customer’s and staff’s health more than anything else.
As to my records you were offered another family room (132), more modern and with similar features but with no view on the square (as room 111 had). You initially accepted room 132, your luggage was transferred, but you then thought otherwise and decided to go back the room 111 despite the smell, most probably in hopes that it would vanish during your time at dinner. At around 10 pm you contacted reception stating that the smell was actually not acceptable. You were offered a room for those members of your family who were more affected by the smell (since the other family room was no longer available). That is the room you describe as smelling like cigarettes (117). So you decided to stay all in 111.

Having been informed by my collaborators of your discomfort, I arrived at the hotel at 7.30 the next morning, but preferred not to call you in the room in order not to disturb. I alerted the staff at reception to call me as soon as they saw you and in fact we met at 7.45 am. Two Superior rooms with a view on the square and the Duomo on the top floor were put at your disposal for night 2 and 3 of your stay.

I ordered one fruit baskets for each of your new rooms. Have they never reached your rooms? Well, this is really unacceptable and I will start an internal audit to understand how did may happen. For what it may count I am here apologizing again for this last (but not least) inconvenience.

I hope this bad hotel experience did not spoil your entire stay in our beautiful city and that you eventually took home some nice memories with you. I also hope you will considering visiting Florence again in the future, and maybe are willing to give us a second chance.

This is my direct address: fburroni@grandhotelminerva.com

With my best regards,

Filippo Burroni – General Manager
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

The roof terrace, the pool, and the view are the most memorable things about The Grand Hotel Minerva. Not many hotels in Florence have a pool so this is why we chose The Minerva, We knew Florence would be hot and our children (us too!) would need a swim after our days of sightseeing. Minerva's pool is not huge by any stretch but it served its purpose beautifully. The pool is on the roof and the hotel is very centrally located which makes for a spectacular view of the Duomo and surrounding Florence. But the pool gets really crowded from 3 on so best to get your swim in early if possible. Lunch and tapas (at cocktail hour) can be had on the roof deck which was a real treat. The tapas that were on the menu were not at all memorable but small detail. The staff is extremely pleasant and helpful...remembering our children's names after the first several hours. The rooms at the hotel are average and not remarkable. I think there may be a renovation effort going on as some rooms looked to be more modern than others, Nonetheless, our rooms were a bit of a disappointment but were ok. The hallways were drab and there needs to be attention paid to the elevator button panel...the duct tape is coming off! Coming back to the hotel after a walk around town we were faced with a large tour group from the US checking-in. So, clearly this hotel caters to large tour groups which may be a turnoff for some. Breakfast was nice but not overly so. And the staff was consistantly great and helpul. Also we did laundry which was excellent. So, if you are looking for a decent hotel close to the train station Havd fun!

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the Piazza.
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

We stayed at this hotel with our 8 year old daughter.
Pros:
- amazing location - walking distance to all places of interest and right beside train stn
- rooftop patio with pool (which was chilly) and stunning views
- mini patios on each floor
- decent size rooms and good bed linens
- great breakfast (included) with lots of variety
- A/C worked well

Cons:
- rooms that accommodate kids all face inside at a wall (not the piazza)
- pool was cold and seating very limited

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Winchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2014

I will be recommending this hotel to anyone who is planning on visiting Florence. The hotel is in the perfect location if you are flying in from Pisa (2 mins walk from the bus drop off/ station). The rooftop pool is stunning - beautiful views and great for a cocktail after a hot day of sight seeing. The restaurant has a great tasting menu with lovely accompanying wines (great value too). The rooms were great with all the usual facilities and were kept very clean. The staff were consistently friendly and helpful with our queries.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Cincinnati, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2014

Our family loved this hotel. Location was great, we walked everywhere. Staff was helpful with reservations and recos. Room was large, airy, with comfortable beds and nice linens. The breakfast buffet has cheerful service and good quality food. The highlight is definitely the roof top pool. It has breathtaking views, and is very tranquil. My only complaint of the entire stay is that the pool area is not serviced enough - dirty towels and drink glasses everywhere, and they do not get removed promptly. I would stay here again anytime!

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Been to Grand Hotel Minerva? Share your experiences!