“Very good hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #78 of 461 Hotels in Florence
Paris, France
“Very good hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2014 via mobile

The rooftop pool really makes this hotel. I was told that they are studying how to extend the elevator to give easier access to the pool and bar. I am handicapped, and it was a struggle. They also need to put a handrail next to the stairs in the pool for handicapped; people were kind enough to help me, but it is dangerous without a "corrimano".

Anyway, I came here to refresh my Italian while my wife is on a tour that I could not do. The staff mostly has English, but they would tolerate my weak Italian. Mi ha piaciuto molto!

Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
FilippoBurroni, Direttore generale at Grand Hotel Minerva, responded to this review, July 11, 2014
Dear Guests,
Thank you very much for having stayed with us and for your very benevolent review. You are correct: while renovating our rooftop and pool we have prepared the way for the elevator to reach also this level. It will need some further construction works and we hope that it will be available for the next season, although I cannot give an exact deadline. These kind of delays may result difficult to grasp if you are not familiar with very old building and city skylines protected by “Belle Arti”, the government agency that makes sure that arts cities remain true to their past. This means that you cannot simply build a new room on a rooftop, but you have to find a way for the elevator within the pre-existing walls. It is a very good regulation in order to maintain our city as beautiful as it is even if you look at it from the sky, but of course it causes technical difficulties (that we have solved, but it will take longer and much more work than one could imagine).

Regarding the railing to get into the pool itself, we are getting it ready. It should be there in the next couple of weeks. I am sorry that the delay related to this item has caused you some inconvenience.

As you say, most of our staff, and for sure all our staff at reception and at restaurant speak English, but I would like to encourage any of our guest who want to practice their Italian to do so with our staff: we are no teachers but we are very honored when people learn and want to practice our language and nobody will get impatient if you are not fluent with it.

I hope you will visit us in the future to show us your improved Italian if you have had the chance to practice it in the meantime or to refresh it again while sipping a drink on our rooftop.

With my best regards,

Filippo Burroni – General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (161)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2014

This hotel is in a really good location and the staff are first class. However the carpet and walls to the bedroom (we were on the 2nd floor) needed some attention. Also our room was small and you couldn't get past the chair on the way to the bathroom without knocking you legs. Our bedroom also needed a paint job and the voile type curtains in the bedroom and bathroom certainly needed a good clean. The windows also needed a really good painting. BEWARE though there are mosquitoes in the rooms and the mosquito machine is not plugged in until you ask. By then it was too late for us and we were badly bitten. However it was all spotlessly clean throughout.
We enjoyed our first dinner in the outdoor restaurant so much we went back a couple of nights later to have the same again but far from as good as the first one.
The rooftop pool is lovely but small with a fantastic view of the city.
We stayed one week in the hotel but I think 4 nights would be enough.

Room Tip: We had a classic double and I wouldn't recommend it.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
FilippoBurroni, Direttore generale at Grand Hotel Minerva, responded to this review, July 4, 2014
Dear Guests,
Thank you for having stayed with us and for your very generous praise of our staff. I am sorry that the room you were assigned was not satisfying. We run regular maintenance checks to offer a well kept product but apparently something in our procedures has not been working the way it is supposed to. Please accept my apologies for this. For the benefit of our readers I would like to suggest everybody who is not satisfied with their room to speak as soon as possible with reception. Our staff is well trained assisting in proposing alternative solutions which may not always be available at the same moment of the request, but most likely can be offered for the following day. Considering that you have stayed one week with us, it is a real pity that you have not communicated your dissatisfaction to our front desk: I am sure that a room change would have been possible.
As to the restaurant it would be helpful to have ore details in order to investigate this issue which is really peculiar. So far I have had only very good records regarding our quality standards for our Summer Grand Carte.
A small note about Mosquitos. In Florence there are Mosquitos and especially during humid summer days. We do not activate the mosquito machine if not requested since its tablets are chemical products. They are not dangerous to humans, of course, but still we prefer that they are used only if our customers agree to it.
I hope you will want to give us a second chance if coming back to Florence in the future. I would be very pleased if you would directly contact me so I can organize your stay in the best possible way. Here is my address: fburroni@grandhotelminerva.com.

Filippo Burroni - General Manager
Copenhagen, Denmark
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2014

This is a lovely hotel, that blends the feeling of old and new artfully. It provides modern rooms and services for those who want that ambiance, but it has also paid special attention to its historic location and past. This means that for those interesting in feeling like they're in the heart of one of the world's great historic cities, you're in luck.

The staff was lovely, attentive, and the services were great. The location couldn't be better. It is conveniently located in my favorite part of Florence to stay in. You're close to the main station, the water, and the city's core. Yet, it is also on a large square and just far enough outside the main tourist mash that you're not overwhelmed by shoulder-to-shoulder traffic when you leave the front door during high season.

Room Tip: Decide if you want a view over the square (which is a bit louder, but also provides a lot to see and...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2014

Great Location, Rooms are spacious and nicely decorated. Roof top pool is absolutely great, after a long day of walking you can go to the roof top pool, and enjoy a nice swim with a beautiful view of the whole city. That alone was worth the price of admission. Hotel is within walking distance to all attraction, and has a good selection of restaurants under in the piazza. Overall a winner.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Westport, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2014

We stayed for 4 nights in June and had a wonderful visit. The rooms are big and clean and so beautiful. Ours looked over the piazza - which was charming and great views - but could be noisy at night. The staff is very friendly and helpful - warm and welcoming and always greeted us with a smile. The rooftop pool area is the best! After full days of sightseeing, we would relax with the amazing views. Breakfast was fine - made to order eggs were extra but delicious. Loved the location and the service and the pool area. We were awakened first morning at 4am because of a truck outside - I called down to the front desk and they apologized saying there was a sewer issue. It was annoying but they were so apologetic that it was hard to be mad at them. Will definitely be back.

Room Tip: If you really want quiet, I would suggest a room NOT facing the piazza. It had great views but tend...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
FilippoBurroni, Direttore generale at Grand Hotel Minerva, responded to this review, June 19, 2014
Dear Guests,
many thanks for your stay and very kind review, and especially for mentioning our staff’s attitude. We have invested a lot of efforts and care in selection and training and I am very happy that this is resulting in our guests’ satisfaction. I am sorry about the inconvenience with the sewer and thank you for your understanding about this.
We all look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel. Here’s is my direct email: fburroni@grandhotelminerva.com . It would be my pleasure to organize your stay in the best possible fashion.

Philippines
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2014 via mobile

Hotel location is just walking distance to train station, bus, restaurants, interesting places to see.

Hotel staff are so nice, very friendly, very helpful - even though we had a problem with our room coz they gave us the room key at 5:30pm (we arrived Florence at 12 noon)

Room aircon is a bit noisy and not cooling much.
Rooms is big and clean. Bathroom just the right size.

Breakfast - you just have to pay extra if you like sunny side up eggs.

Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
FilippoBurroni, Direttore generale at Grand Hotel Minerva, responded to this review, June 12, 2014
Dear Guest,
thank you for your very benevolent review and understanding. So sorry about your check in. The guests in the room we had assigned to you had a serious issue which, though unrelated to the hotel, led us to grant them a late check-out.
Considering we had kept for you two rooms facing the square and next to each other I appreciate your understanding that it was not possible for us, given the situation of full occupancy, to find another couple of rooms with the same characteristics. To our luck we were able to give you an early check in to the other room (11.30 am, actually). For the benefit our common readers I will add that standard check in time is 2 pm and check out is due by midday.
I am also glad that you accepted our invitation to dinner for the five members of your family and truly hope this helped to make up for a really bad start on our side.
Just a small thing about breakfast: on the buffet, at no extra charges, our guests will find scrambled and boiled eggs. Extras are due only if you wish other kinds of preparations.
I truly hope you will come back to Florence in the future and hope you will contact me directly in this case. It would be a pleasure to arrange things for a most pleasant stay (and check in!). Here is my direct email: fburroni@grandhotelminerva.com
With my best regards,

Sayville, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2014

We stayed in 2 rooms, Junior suite for my husband and daughter, nice size and nice amenities. My sons had a room with 2 twin beds together, also nice size. We were located not on the square (Santa Maria Novella) but in the back, overlooking more of a courtyard. The view was beautiful. Unfortunately, next door was an ambulance company (at least that seems like what it was, given the ambulances parked outside). You could hear sirens at night, and the workers outside being noisy at night. The church bells ring from the church early in the morning, which could be perceived as quaint if you are early risers, which we are not, but you are in Italy after all and churches are everywhere. There is a roof top pool which had just been renovated, in which we did not use since it was not warm enough yet. They are still working on the roof top bar, which was awkward while visiting the pool area. Breakfast was typical continental, croissants, cereal, fruit etc., good coffee. Option to get eggs, pancakes for extra euro. My daughter and I got pancakes (8 euros), mine were very cold, so that was disappointing. Nice and cordial staff in restaurant and at desk. Location easily accessible to sights.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
FilippoBurroni, Direttore generale at Grand Hotel Minerva, responded to this review, June 9, 2014
Dear Guests,
thank you for staying with us and for reviewing our hotel on Trip Advisor. I am sorry that your nights were troubled by some noise coming from people and sirens of “Fratellanza Militare”. This is an old non-profit institution born in 1872. Most of the people there are volunteers offering their services for free in their spare time. The management and most members are well aware of the presence of our hotel rooms not far away from their courtyard, and keep noise to a minimum, avoiding to disturb our guests. Since turn over at “Fratellanza Militare” is understandably high, it is possible that some new members have behaved in a not particularly attentive manner. I have already made an appointment with their “Presidente” to remind him of the importance of our guests’ comfort in order to avoid similar circumstances in the future.
As to our breakfast, please accept my apologies for a cold pancake, this is obviously something diverting from our standards and I have already shared your precious feed back with my collaborators in order to investigate this issue and prevent it from happening again.
As to your definition of it being “typical continental” I would like to say that I cannot fully agree with it. Our breakfast offers a variety of food ranging from what you listed in your review (croissants, cereal, fruit) to scrambled and boiled eggs, sausages, cherry tomatoes, 3 kinds of cheese and 4 kinds of cold cuts, including the famous prosciutto crudo (raw ham). All this is served on the buffet at no extra charge. Some other things, such us pancakes and omelettes are prepared on request and are considered as extras, as specified on the menu.
Our pool: really too bad you could not take advantage of it. This spring has been unusually cold and I understand its water temperature may have been not comfortable enough for taking a bath. Right now temperatures in Florence are definitely much higher and the pool is definitely much warmer (yesterday we had almost 35° Celsius - 95° F in Florence) and our guests were really lucky to be able to plunge into water after a day sightseeing. Having renovated the entire rooftop area we also implemented a heating system for the pool which will be operating in 2015.
I hope you will come back to Florence in the next years and, should this be the case, I trust you will consider again Grand Hotel Minerva for your stay. Here is my direct email address: fburroni@grandhotelminerva.com. Hopefully you will contact me directly so I will be able to arrange your stay in the best possible fashion.

Filippo Burroni – General Manager

Been to Grand Hotel Minerva? Share your experiences!