“Awesome option” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #71 of 461 hotels in Florence
Copenhagen, Denmark
“Awesome option”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

This is a lovely hotel, that blends the feeling of old and new artfully. It provides modern rooms and services for those who want that ambiance, but it has also paid special attention to its historic location and past. This means that for those interesting in feeling like they're in the heart of one of the world's great historic cities, you're in luck.

The staff was lovely, attentive, and the services were great. The location couldn't be better. It is conveniently located in my favorite part of Florence to stay in. You're close to the main station, the water, and the city's core. Yet, it is also on a large square and just far enough outside the main tourist mash that you're not overwhelmed by shoulder-to-shoulder traffic when you leave the front door during high season.

Room Tip: Decide if you want a view over the square (which is a bit louder, but also provides a lot to see and...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled solo

1,111 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (133)
  • Arabic first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Great Location, Rooms are spacious and nicely decorated. Roof top pool is absolutely great, after a long day of walking you can go to the roof top pool, and enjoy a nice swim with a beautiful view of the whole city. That alone was worth the price of admission. Hotel is within walking distance to all attraction, and has a good selection of restaurants under in the piazza. Overall a winner.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Westport, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2014

We stayed for 4 nights in June and had a wonderful visit. The rooms are big and clean and so beautiful. Ours looked over the piazza - which was charming and great views - but could be noisy at night. The staff is very friendly and helpful - warm and welcoming and always greeted us with a smile. The rooftop pool area is the best! After full days of sightseeing, we would relax with the amazing views. Breakfast was fine - made to order eggs were extra but delicious. Loved the location and the service and the pool area. We were awakened first morning at 4am because of a truck outside - I called down to the front desk and they apologized saying there was a sewer issue. It was annoying but they were so apologetic that it was hard to be mad at them. Will definitely be back.

Room Tip: If you really want quiet, I would suggest a room NOT facing the piazza. It had great views but tend...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
FilippoBurroni, Direttore generale at Grand Hotel Minerva, responded to this review, 5 weeks ago
Dear Guests,
many thanks for your stay and very kind review, and especially for mentioning our staff’s attitude. We have invested a lot of efforts and care in selection and training and I am very happy that this is resulting in our guests’ satisfaction. I am sorry about the inconvenience with the sewer and thank you for your understanding about this.
We all look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel. Here’s is my direct email: fburroni@grandhotelminerva.com . It would be my pleasure to organize your stay in the best possible fashion.

Philippines
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2014 via mobile

Hotel location is just walking distance to train station, bus, restaurants, interesting places to see.

Hotel staff are so nice, very friendly, very helpful - even though we had a problem with our room coz they gave us the room key at 5:30pm (we arrived Florence at 12 noon)

Room aircon is a bit noisy and not cooling much.
Rooms is big and clean. Bathroom just the right size.

Breakfast - you just have to pay extra if you like sunny side up eggs.

Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
FilippoBurroni, Direttore generale at Grand Hotel Minerva, responded to this review, June 12, 2014
Dear Guest,
thank you for your very benevolent review and understanding. So sorry about your check in. The guests in the room we had assigned to you had a serious issue which, though unrelated to the hotel, led us to grant them a late check-out.
Considering we had kept for you two rooms facing the square and next to each other I appreciate your understanding that it was not possible for us, given the situation of full occupancy, to find another couple of rooms with the same characteristics. To our luck we were able to give you an early check in to the other room (11.30 am, actually). For the benefit our common readers I will add that standard check in time is 2 pm and check out is due by midday.
I am also glad that you accepted our invitation to dinner for the five members of your family and truly hope this helped to make up for a really bad start on our side.
Just a small thing about breakfast: on the buffet, at no extra charges, our guests will find scrambled and boiled eggs. Extras are due only if you wish other kinds of preparations.
I truly hope you will come back to Florence in the future and hope you will contact me directly in this case. It would be a pleasure to arrange things for a most pleasant stay (and check in!). Here is my direct email: fburroni@grandhotelminerva.com
With my best regards,

Sayville, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2014

We stayed in 2 rooms, Junior suite for my husband and daughter, nice size and nice amenities. My sons had a room with 2 twin beds together, also nice size. We were located not on the square (Santa Maria Novella) but in the back, overlooking more of a courtyard. The view was beautiful. Unfortunately, next door was an ambulance company (at least that seems like what it was, given the ambulances parked outside). You could hear sirens at night, and the workers outside being noisy at night. The church bells ring from the church early in the morning, which could be perceived as quaint if you are early risers, which we are not, but you are in Italy after all and churches are everywhere. There is a roof top pool which had just been renovated, in which we did not use since it was not warm enough yet. They are still working on the roof top bar, which was awkward while visiting the pool area. Breakfast was typical continental, croissants, cereal, fruit etc., good coffee. Option to get eggs, pancakes for extra euro. My daughter and I got pancakes (8 euros), mine were very cold, so that was disappointing. Nice and cordial staff in restaurant and at desk. Location easily accessible to sights.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
FilippoBurroni, Direttore generale at Grand Hotel Minerva, responded to this review, June 9, 2014
Dear Guests,
thank you for staying with us and for reviewing our hotel on Trip Advisor. I am sorry that your nights were troubled by some noise coming from people and sirens of “Fratellanza Militare”. This is an old non-profit institution born in 1872. Most of the people there are volunteers offering their services for free in their spare time. The management and most members are well aware of the presence of our hotel rooms not far away from their courtyard, and keep noise to a minimum, avoiding to disturb our guests. Since turn over at “Fratellanza Militare” is understandably high, it is possible that some new members have behaved in a not particularly attentive manner. I have already made an appointment with their “Presidente” to remind him of the importance of our guests’ comfort in order to avoid similar circumstances in the future.
As to our breakfast, please accept my apologies for a cold pancake, this is obviously something diverting from our standards and I have already shared your precious feed back with my collaborators in order to investigate this issue and prevent it from happening again.
As to your definition of it being “typical continental” I would like to say that I cannot fully agree with it. Our breakfast offers a variety of food ranging from what you listed in your review (croissants, cereal, fruit) to scrambled and boiled eggs, sausages, cherry tomatoes, 3 kinds of cheese and 4 kinds of cold cuts, including the famous prosciutto crudo (raw ham). All this is served on the buffet at no extra charge. Some other things, such us pancakes and omelettes are prepared on request and are considered as extras, as specified on the menu.
Our pool: really too bad you could not take advantage of it. This spring has been unusually cold and I understand its water temperature may have been not comfortable enough for taking a bath. Right now temperatures in Florence are definitely much higher and the pool is definitely much warmer (yesterday we had almost 35° Celsius - 95° F in Florence) and our guests were really lucky to be able to plunge into water after a day sightseeing. Having renovated the entire rooftop area we also implemented a heating system for the pool which will be operating in 2015.
I hope you will come back to Florence in the next years and, should this be the case, I trust you will consider again Grand Hotel Minerva for your stay. Here is my direct email address: fburroni@grandhotelminerva.com. Hopefully you will contact me directly so I will be able to arrange your stay in the best possible fashion.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2014

The hotel was situated in a fantastic area of Florence with all of the major sights within walking distance. We stayed in one of the suites and although different to what you may expect in the UK the room was recently refurbished and spotlessly clean.

The staff throughout the hotel were really helpful and I don't have a bad word to say about them.

This trip certainly earned me brownie points from the wife!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2014

Location: 5 mins walk from Florence SMN Stn. Convenient walking distance to sights , river and restaurants.

Room: Our Deluxe superior room was spacious facing the Piazza Santa Maria Novella, noise is inevitable from the square with a festival food market in the piazza during our stay. We were not asked if it is a wheel-chair accessible room. Normally in the US , guest will be informed, for the shower area is enclosed by a folding partition with fault, water flooded the bathroom after shower. There was no bathtub. little counter space as well. A bowl of fruits was offered by the management.
A very filthy ragged floor rug caused me serious allergy that I had to request housekeeping to remove. The furnitures are very substandard.

Service: Breakfast was included, choices are limited but good enough to start a day.

I believe there are other choices, but location for this hotel is a merit.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
FilippoBurroni, Direttore generale at Grand Hotel Minerva, responded to this review, May 28, 2014
Dear Guests,
Let me first of all thank you for having booked our hotel.
I am sorry that our premises have not fully satisfied your expectations. I will try and answer your points for the benefit of our common readers.
Our cleaning procedures are very strict and I am really surprised that in one of our rooms there has been something so dirty to be causing allergies. Please accept my apologies for this embarrassing inconvenience. I will discuss this with my housekeeper and we'll go over our procedures again in order to understand what may have happened and to avoid similar situations.
As to our wheel-chair accessible rooms, I am sorry that its bathroom was not satisfactory to you. At the same time I would like to add that we are very proud of having 6 rooms out of 100 which can accommodate guests on a wheelchair, three of them being superior room and three classic rooms, so there is more for those who may have special needs. I would also like to inform our readers that these bathrooms are spacious ones and only have a walk in shower but no bathtub. Bars needed to move around in a wheelchair are fixed upon request prior to arrival. So far we have never felt the need to warn guests in advance when assigning these rooms, since no one has expressed these request before. In all earnestness it would be almost impossible to do that because specific room numbers can only be confirmed at the moment of arrival. We guarantee the main features of the room confirmed on the reservation and its category of course, but running a 100 room hotel in a city, with all its possible last minute changes (early departures, cancellations, last minute booking or requests) makes it really impossible to know with reasonable anticipation what room number a guest will have in order to communicate it.
On the other hand we encourage all our guest to inform us of their special needs or requests and wishes before their arrival. We will do our best to comply with them.
Filippo Burroni - General Manager

Been to Grand Hotel Minerva? Share your experiences!