“Great stay” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Indianapolis, Indiana
“Great stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2014

Although not a trendy location, it was either within walking distance to tourist locations or convenient to transportation. Room was recently renovated-while not what Americans would call spacious; it was very nice with plenty of space to spread out. For a mother and daughter with separate luggage, it was great to have two sturdy luggage racks and a bright bathroom. Staff was very helpful. Although I am not really a person who likes to eat breakfast before 10 a.m., I found the staff in the buffet area to be very nice and anxious to please. The lady with the red hair, sorry don't know her name, did a good job of directing other staff.
I would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: We did not upgrade, but found a basic room to be quite adequate. When in Florence, you don't wa...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (171)
  • Arabic first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2014

Except for some noise due to hotel construction, I was impressed by the Minerva. It's a short walk from the train station, and in the Piazza Santa Maria Novella, which is a beautiful square. The hotel staff were excellent. I didn't have a room with a view, but with Florence at the doorstep, who cares.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2014

This is a great hotel right near (walking distance with luggage) the train station right in the Piazza Santa Maria Novella. Because it is near the train station, it is right near the hop-on hop-off bus stops making it easy to access the main attractions. We had a recently remodeled room that was nice and modern. Breakfast was okay, room was a good size and staff was helpful. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2014

The staff was wonderful , the hotel is dated and not a 4 star by any countries standards. Old furniture , uncomfortable beds and musty smells.
Location not great unless you want to be near the train station.
Piazza is the less popular type and not attractive and homeless people living in it.
Would not recommend it if you want luxury, comfort, and a homey feel. Food not bad.
Service very good , but not worth it, much better choices available.

Room Tip: Top floors are the only tolerable rooms
Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
FilippoBurroni, Direttore generale at Grand Hotel Minerva, responded to this review, April 21, 2014
Dear Guests,

I am very sorry that you were so disappointed by our premises. I hope you have nevertheless good memories of our city and that you will come back to visit it in the future. Please excuse me, but I find it hard to fully agree with your description of our rooms. I prefer not to comment on this any further and will suggest our common readers to check other reviews on this same website to get a more complete picture. Please let me add what follows. We do constant maintenance and I am proud to say that cleanliness is one of our strengths. As to us being a 4 stars: we successfully work since decades with all major international tour operators and corporations and none of these has ever questioned our 4 stars rating. This is what really counts for us: official rating originating from local regulations would be irrelevant in itself. This said, if you look for fancy brand new design, there is most probably much better choices in Florence. I think we offer an elegant and friendly service (thank you for pointing this out) in a comfortable and well-kept hotel in a great location for visiting the city.
The Piazza: it is one of the most renowned squares of Florence, crowded with local restaurants and other hotels (among them other three 4-stars and even one 5-stars). The façade of the church of Santa Maria Novella, designed by Leon Battista Alberti, features marble stones directly from the Renaissance. Sometimes some homeless people linger on the square and even sleep on it, I would not deny that, but unfortunately this happens a lot in squares in Italy and southern Europe in general. I understand that this can be unpleasant, but I would like to reassure our readers adding that I have been working here since 15 years now and have no records of any harm caused to any of our guests.

I hope you will come back visit us if not for renting a room, for enjoying the view of the city with a drink from our bar on the rooftop terrace.

With my kindest regards,

Filippo Burroni – General Manager
Tehran, Iran
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2014

everything was perfect. the location is very strategic, very near to attractions and train station. very clean, well-designed and very nice and friendly staffs. there are 2 good restaurants also opposite side of the hotel.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2014

We had the junior suite facing the santa maria novella and the mountains- room was very spacious and clean. The location is just perfect, its 2 mins away from the railway station and 5 - 10 mins away from Duomo by foot. We stayed there for 3 nights.The breakfast was so so, not much of variety in the buffet..the only thing that annoyed me was after 10.30am the waitress just want you to leave, they will make sure that they close the buffet at exactly 10.30, as if they have another shift to attend elsewhere. My suggestion to the hotel would be to give your guest some more time during breakfast ,even if its past your deadline.

Room Tip: Go for the junior suite - its spacious with a great view facing the santa maria novella
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
FilippoBurroni, Direttore generale at Grand Hotel Minerva, responded to this review, April 10, 2014
Dear Guests,
Let me first of all thank you for booking our property and for your words of appreciation regarding its location and your room. But I would like to especially than you for pointing out an intolerable attitude from what seems to be a specific member of our staff. Usually our staff are praised for their helpfulness and cheerful attitude and your remark is really something I would like to investigate further. I would be very thankful to you if you would write me directly indicating the exact dates of your stay in order to properly address this issue.
I hope you will give us a second chance if coming back to Florence and, should this be the case, I would be very pleased to make anything possible to let you have a memorable stay.
With my kindest regards,

Filippo Burroni – General Manager
San Antonio, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2014

Unbelievably friendly, helpful staff the entire weekend. Great location. We had a room on top floor facing the piazza and with windows closed it was quiet. Rooms are very spacious and bed was comfortable. Nice breakfast buffet. Had booked as we were intrigued by rooftop bar but it was under renovation. They also have a seasonal rooftop pool. Guess we need to head back in the summer.

Room Tip: Upgraded to Superior room and it was very nice - top floor. Had room 506 with nice hardwood floors...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family

Been to Grand Hotel Minerva? Share your experiences!