“Robbery in the hotel!!!” 1 of 5 stars

Fenice Palace Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Via Martelli 10, 50129 Florence, Italy   |
Ranked #370 of 461 hotels in Florence
Moscow, Russia
“Robbery in the hotel!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

I've got the worst impression on this hotel from the very beginning, the staff was unpolite and unhospitable. Hot running water was either absent or without pressure so it was almost impossible to tale a shower. But the most important thing: the day before we left we were robbed a big sum of money and a credit card from the safe in our room. Judjing by the staff reaction, it was not happening for the first time. The staff didn't show any compassion or interest on our problem and continued being unpolite.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
daniele128, General Manager at Fenice Palace Hotel, responded to this review, October 3, 2012
Dear Madam, I'm sure you remember me, as we talked for a long time on the morning of the alleged theft in the safe of his room, where he was staying with his mother.
You know that I have been at your disposal in order to understand what had happened and we checked the room together, making sure that it is the door to the room that the safe did not have any sign of forced entry. you also possessed "the only key" to open the safe in your room and you gave us a deposit to get it to the reception, asked just because there is only one key, and if you lose it, the money in the deposit are used to change the safe!
I had also invited you to make a police report and we also gave all the directions to the police station which is just a few minutes from us, Three times I asked you to make the police report in order to start the investigation and to enable our insurance to intervene, but you left without complaint and without contact me even if I was always at your disposal.
I am sorry, but as I tried to explain to the owner of this website, it is very risky and dangerous to write some reviews when you are not 100% sure of what you said.
Always we accept any criticism from our guests, but this one destroys the credibility of an activity for over 30 years is part of the reality of Florence, housing more than 35,000 customers a year! Frankly, it does not seem right!

248 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
Melbourne, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

This hotel is the worst hotel I have ever stayed, unfortunately not my first choice, the one I had originally booked was over booked, so my travel agent took a punt, I realised after the experience that I should have paid more for another hotel. You get what you pay for in Italy. The staff were mostly unhelpful. On the third night I could smell the worst stench coming from the bathroom to the point I had to leave the hotel, after 3 nights of constant running water sound in my room and walking around in shoes because it felt so dirty. Spread the word.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
daniele128, General Manager at Fenice Palace Hotel, responded to this review, October 6, 2012
Dear Customer,
your review surprises me because I am not having received complaints during your stay. I and all of our staff at the reception are always on hand to satisfy our guests. I would also like to emphasize the fact that sometimes the bad smell that sometimes you feel the hotel is not caused by our negligence, but the city sewers that on certain days invades all the shops of the street. Also assure you that the floor of your room is clean, because treated and washed every day by our staff, perhaps saw a little used, but our property is already planning to replace it this winter.
regards
Glasgow, UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

Yes the rooms are very dated but when paying the rates being paid, then this is what you get. Breakfast was ok, not great but not that awful, enough to fill you up before a day walking around Florence And from the hotel you are in the best location. The welcome at reception was lovely and every staff member I encountered was helpful and friendly, even when I was speaking to them in very bad Italian. Great recommendation for dinner about 5 minutes away, majority of the other diners were local, so not expensive and great Local cuisine. The shower was not good but the air conditioning worked fine when I was there. In all honesty I would recommend this hotel for those on a budget who want a safe central location.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Valencia, Spain
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

It is so close to the center that you can plan visiting Firenze easily and confortable,
BUT distrust if you arrive to the room and see a FAN..... then the air conditioning is out. There are several rooms which AA doesn't works. It seems to be a coincidence, because they don't tell you nothing about, and the waiter tell you "you must wait a while until it works" but when you come back to the room after a walk, it keeps without working.
Breakfast correct.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
modi'in
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2012

if you want to have good stay in a hotel after a day travel in the city don't go to this hotel..not clean the Ac is not working, no hat water in the bath, the toilet is not working and the breakfast is poor....

Room Tip: don't go there
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2012

The toilet in our room was so near the wall that using it required Houdini like contortions. A fat person or an old person would have no chance.....by splaying legs at 90 degrees we could just get on it but sidesaddle was the only viable option.

The lifts stink and the whole place is dark, smelly and jaded. The showers and baths were also out of commission for our visit.

if this is a four star hotel you might want to consider the five star alternative of a tent.

Avoid at all costs.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Andover, Massachusetts
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2012

Every negative you read here is absolutely true. Unfortunately, I let my AAA travel agent book this and didn't read the reviews until AFTER it was booked and, of course, it was the ONLY hotel that was "non-refundable". After a long day of touring, you want to be able to come back to a cool, clean, comfortable room of which this hotel has none.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Been to Fenice Palace Hotel? Share your experiences!