“Baglioni: if you like a maze ...” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Hotel Baglioni Firenze

You added Grand Hotel Baglioni Firenze to your Saves list
Grand Hotel Baglioni Firenze
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Piazza Unita Italiana 6, 50123 Florence, Italy (San Lorenzo)   |
Offers & Announcements
Complimentary bottle of wine
Ranked #171 of 457 Hotels in Florence
Brussels
“Baglioni: if you like a maze ...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2013

I stayed in the Baglioni for business. Hotel has old grandeur but is not very actual. On arrival in april I found a very warm room around 1 AM in morning. I called front desk for AC and they explained me that AC consisted of opening the window...
The Hotel has a lot of small corridors and so you are running up and downstairs before reaching your room like in a maze.
Elevators small and often not working during our stay and finally a small bar that closes very early.
There are more luxurious hotel in Florence...

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (153)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Cardiff, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013

This hotel is in an excellent location being within easy walking distance of Santa Maria Novella train station and most of the places of interest. Our room, which overlooked the church of Santa Maria Novella was beautifully appointed and very clean.
The staff were efficient but nothing more and we didn't find any of them particularly helpful or personable. Strangely, the clientele this hotel attracts appear to be of a similar ilk with nobody wishing to say "Good morning" or "Buongiorno" so having been ignored outright on more than one occasion we stopped bothering!
We decided to give the hotel restaurant a try on our first night and although the service was good, the food was disappointing and we were both still hungry at the end of the meal. Also, it is expensive. If you choose the T-bone steak, don't agree to it being carved at the table or you will end up having just one between two instead of one each and you will still be charged for two. Yes, it probably was a larger steak but you are better off with individual steaks. Breakfast was sub-standard for this class of hotel and on some mornings, was chaotic with people crowding around the various serveries waiting for them to be replenished. There are boiled eggs or some decidedly unappetizing scrambled eggs on offer but don't ask for a poached or fried egg as you will have to pay extra for the privilege. Really!
Would we stay here again? Probably not. Having experienced the wonderful service at the Grand Hotel Vesuvio in Sorrento we noticed the difference here immediately. Oh, don't bother trying to speak Italian here. The staff, being multi-lingual will either reply in perfect English or very rapid Italian....not very encouraging when you're trying hard to learn the language!
On a more positive note, our chamber maid was helpful and changed our hard pillows for softer ones when we explained we were unable to sleep.

MG

Room Tip: We had room 301 which was beautiful but not very peaceful as it overlooks the square and you can hea...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

Loved the hotel. Right next to the train station and within a 15 minute walk of all the sights. Felt very safe walking in the area late at night. Definitely will stay at the hotel again. Was a little pricy but enjoyed the overall stay.

• Stayed April 2013
Berkhamsted
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2013

This hotel reflects the old grandeur of Florence itself. It is located near the railway station and all places of interest, the Galleria Uffizi, Piazza del Duomo and the Ponte Vecchio, are in comfortable walking distance.

Overall the hotel makes a refreshing change from the sameness of today's chain hotels. It has that great feeling of understated grandness. The dining room is on the roof and offers wonderful views over the city's rooftops, the staff are very helpful and the rooms are comfortable.

Overall a great base for a visit to Florence.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

I stayed here for 2 nights in April with my wife. The hotel is located right in the centre of the city. Great for walking and exploring. Convenient for the train station, Cathedral, Palazzo Vecchio, Ponte Vecchio etc. The hotel building is beautiful. Very Grand. Lovely reception area and very well decorated throughout. Its a big hotel so not so personal, but its not to be expected of such a big Grand hotel. We stayed in a standard room and it was a very good size, decorated with dark wood and with a good size bathroom. Very happy with our stay.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

On many previous visits to Florence I have enjoyed an evening drink on the roof terrace of the Baglioni, with its fabulous views over the city. This week, on Tuesday 16th April, I and my wife went in to enquire about whether the roof terrace was available as a place to have a drink that evening. The man at the concierge desk very abruptly said 'No', and that one could only use the terrace area if eating lunch or dinner. His attitude was abrupt and verged on rudeness. The staff at my own hotel, when I later told them about this were surprised and concluded, as did I, that either the hotel has introduced a new policy with the sole aim of making money (a failure, as when I looked across to the Baglioni terrace later from another location, it was virtually empty), or else this particular man was just being obnoxious for the sake of it. I actually got the impression that his two younger female colleagues were perhaps embarrassed by his attitude towards my wife and me - a middle aged couple making a simple enquiry. I have visited Florence many times, and part of my mission on this latest visit was to scout out some potential places to stay for a visit I am organising to Florence next year for 8 professional people from the UK. As a result of my experience this week, there is no chance of me considering the Baglioni for my organised group next year, nor indeed for anything else. My advice to anyone considering using this hotel is to avoid it - on the basis of my experience this week they simply do not deserve your custom. If you want an evening drink with a view, use The Westin whereb they were welcoming, polite and utterly charming.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
BaglioniHotelmanager, Direttore generale at Grand Hotel Baglioni Firenze, responded to this review, April 24, 2013
First of all, I would like to thank you for the preference given so far. I am pleased to know that until now you were able to appreciate the beautiful view and our rooftop bar service. I regret that this time you weren’t able enjoy it because the terrace is closed to the public until May, when the current renovation and gardening will make it in its usual splendor. Currently, it is only open in the inner area where we serve only breakfast, lunch and dinner.
I was very surprised that you did not feel a warm welcoming from our front desk staff. If they in anyway offended you, please accept my apologies. Our entire staff is always here to treat our customers with respect, as well as show them our wonderful hospitality.
I also regret that you consider our hotel "to avoid" having tried a very small part of our services that are so much appreciated by our loyal customers.
Warm regards.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013

The Grand Hotel Baglioni. A fantastic hotel in a great location . The staff are helpful, friendly and very pleasant, they honoured our request for a room with a view without any uplift in cost, a nice surprise on arrival. The panoramic view from the restaurant was amazing as was the breakfast. The decoration was of typical Tuscan oozing with history. Overall a great experience.

• Stayed April 2013