“Grand, but a bit tired” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Package Deal
Ranked #143 of 461 Hotels in Florence
New London, New Hampshire
“Grand, but a bit tired”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

We stayed in Florence over New Year's Eve. The Grand Hotel Baglione was extremely convenient to the train station and easy walking to the Duomo. While the lobby and staff were impressive, our room was tired and well worn for its price. It was very noisy within the hotel and there were other guests in the hotel smoking in their rooms and hallways. Breakfast was more than ample and served on the top floor of the hotel with an incredible view. We received excellent dining tips from the staff. Unfortunately the room experience would cause us to research other hotels if we were to go back soon.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
BaglioniHotelmanager, General Manager at Grand Hotel Baglioni Firenze, responded to this review, March 28, 2013
Sorry, sorry sorry! Actually, we had quite a quite a big sudden problem in our water distribution system. As it is your third time you give us the pleasure to welcome you, you are aware that this situation is completely unexpected and unique. I would like also underline that iIn a very short time the inconvenience has been fixed.
Thank you for your patience and I wait for the pleasure to welcome you for your next fouth time in our beautiful city.
Warm regards.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Salt Lake City, Utah
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

We booked this hotel through Costco, and were not disappointed. Our room was not on the street side and had a great view of the Duomo. We had a junior suite, which gave us plenty of space for a couple and a teenager. Agree with another review, the bed was rather noisy and would creak when I rolled over, not unbearable and didn't wake up my partner. The breakfast buffet had a nice assortment, and I was even able to obtain my daily cappucinno- just ask. The staff were very helpful with all our questions and also to make dinner reservations- check out Cuco just down the block. Excellent food.
We did have difficulty getting the heat to turn off at night, we would turn it down and after a few hours it would reset to "hot". If we opened the window, it let in enough cold air (lows at 32F) to keep the heat going. Just an annoyance, but not really a problem.
The facilities were spotless and the service was great. I would recommend this hotel to others.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Prague, Czech Republic
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

1st night our room was noisy/bad smell so next morning we claimed the reception and got new room which is ok and nice.
Hotel service is very good/very kind concierge and breakfast is also nice in good-view terrace.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Giv'atayim, Israel
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

Very close to the train station which was great for us :)
The location of the hotel is located between the main attractions (walking distance ) and great streets with amazing restaurants ( especially the restaurant called -pizzeria tiraballa ) the rooms are big and spacious with amazing open view , the rooms are very clean and the service is professional and kind with plenty of smiles and greetings . Huge HUGE beds!
The view of the restaurant is spectacular! The only thing that was out of place was the room floor which was made of wood and splinters could get into your foot... And the noise was very loud and screechy .. Especially if you don't want to wake up whom ever is with you ...
The bathroom was clean and the tub was huge ! Water flow was amazing and the tub fills itself in seconds.
We recommend this hotel we enjoyed it a lot and will come back to it !
Worth every penny

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Geneva
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 28, 2012

Our stay in this beautiful city was greatly enhanced by staying at The Grand Hotel Baglioni. From the moment we arrived the service, friendliness, and the beautiful room we were given was exceptional.

We had a wonderful room overlooking the street on the 3rd floor which same might find a little noisy with the window open, but we found exciting as we were experiencing the pulse of the city and once closed one could not hear any noise due to the double glazing I presume.

We also found the ease of getting to the hotel from the Train Station (200 metres) through the shopping underpass very convenient andsafe (even with a lot of luggage) and everything was within walking distance of the hotel.

The breakfast food is fantastic and the view as you eat on the top floor of the famous Florence dome it breathtaking!!

We could not find fauit with anything except the rain, which still didn't curb our enthusiasm for the hotel or Florence and we aren't always this easily pleased.

A big thank you to the staff at the Baglioni for making this the experience we hoped for, especially coming all the way from Perth, Western Australia.

Room Tip: On any floor, but we stayed on the 3rd Floor overlooking the road which was only noisy if the window...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Napa, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

Spent 3 nights in Florence and stayed at the Grand Hotel Baglioni. We booked through Costco travel and took a leap of faith with buying the package deal that included this hotel. Never having been to Italy before, we had no idea in how to discern from one hotel to the other. Was it a safe location? Is it centrally located? Was the staff hospitable to English speaking tourists who are trying to parle (speak) Italiano?

Well the short answer is yes to all these concerns. But let me tell you more.

It is just a couple of blocks at most, from the train station. When you exit the train and head toward the exit on the left side of the station (standing with the trains behind you) as you face the escalators, the hotel is at the 11o'clock position. You can use the escalators and find your way thru the underground mall to avoid having to cross the streets when you get more acclimated.

Our rooms had a classic grandeur to them. Tall ceilings with designs on them. Wood paneled windows, wooden floors that squeak, tall windows (we were on the traffic side, so we heard a lot of city noise) towel warmers, and a bidet (trying to figure how that worked is a story in itself)

But what made me want to write a review, is the integrity of the staff and their commitment to hospitality. I didn't know it, but I left my iPhone in the hotel safe. I didn't know I had done that. It wasn't until I was already at home when I got an email from Hotel Baglioni Concierge that I had left my iPhone in Italy. So through multiple email communications and getting the right delivery address and the logistics involving packaging up my phone, sending it through a safe and competent carrier, the iphone was delivered to my house intact.

If it wasn't for their quality of service, their commitment to excellent hospitality and the honor of following things through to the very end, I never would've received my phone. I could have easily been frauded or taken advantage of, but they protected me.

I wholeheartedly recommend this hotel. Their honesty and the security I felt and experienced, not to mention the beauty of this hotel, made this English speaker feel at ease during and after my stay. Next time I go to Firenze, whenever that may be, I will be staying here.

Room Tip: Bring ear plugs if you're not used to city noise and you get a room on the street side. Being a...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Noosa, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

Fantastic location 3 minutes walk from the train station.Helpful reception staff. The rooms are grand and room 307 was massive and clean and furnished in period furniture with an extremely comfortable king sized bed with no outside noise.Bathroom facilities first rate for a classic period hotel. Beautiful bowl of excellent quality fruit in the room on arrival and an exquisite bunch of roses delivered as requested. The walk around Florence tour guide booked through the hotel failed to materialise as Lucca had forgotten the three hour tour. Guess it was not the the hotels fault but very dissapointing and a bad start to the stay.This hiccup was forgotten when the previously arranged champagne arrived on ice and we toasted Firenze on the roof top garden and this makes up for any shortcoming the grand dame may have.The restaurant is rated five star and the setting is fantastic with great views over the roof top of Florence but the food was good rather than great . The waiters were first class.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

Been to Grand Hotel Baglioni Firenze? Share your experiences!