“Five star indeed!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #100 of 460 hotels in Florence
Portland, Oregon
“Five star indeed!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2013

We went high end this time - wonderful hotel - great location - quiet - lovely street - Florence is intimate city - easy to walk from one end to the other. Montebello is a lovely property - great breakfast buffet and free internet included. Only complaint - one guest who came into breakfast room dripping with sweat from her just-completed run - shouldn't be allowed! Not cheap!!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
MontebelloSplendid, Direttore generale at Montebello Splendid, responded to this review, August 1, 2013
Dear Sandyco,
Thank your for staying at Montebello Splendid and posting your positive experience. It’s a real pleasure to read your satisfaction about the service, the location and the food and beverage options. I totally understand your concern about the sweat guest having breakfast, but honestly we can’t do anything about guest manners or education. We would like that people feel like home, but of course it is appreciated if they consider that there are other people around. I’m very sorry for that but I hope you can understand our position.
On behalf of the whole tema, I wish you all the best and I say arrivederci to the next visit to Florence.

614 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Tokyo, Japan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2013

We stayed for three nights at this hotel last August (11 to 13). We flew in to Florence via Frankfurt which arrived early in the morning, way before check-in time. Yet, when we arrived at the hotel, the receptionist by the name of Francesca was really kind and arranged a room which was available. Perhaps, my daughter must have looked dead tired after a long flight. The room was a spacious twin bedded room enough to keep our three luggages. We were able to rest a littler before our outing since the weather was really warm in Florence. The location of the hotel is a little far from the center but it was really quiet. The only problem I had was the electric tap which I had trouble in charging my cell phone. Somehow the tap seemed very 'loose', if this is the right term to use. (This was the same in Rome.)
Breakfast was really good with enough fruits, cheese, bread to choose from and the service was friendly. Not many kids were around so our children (although not that young) were treated really nicely.
I would like to stay there again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Tucson, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

We stayed in room 54 of this hotel when our tour changed the itinerary. We were looking forward to staying at Hotel Brunelleschi, but we were switched to the Montebello Splendid Hotel. I was not impressed.

First, the hotel was in a poor location; far from the city center. You must walk a long distance before getting to the shops, restaurants and attractions.

The lobby seemed old and outdated and the hallways to the rooms were kind of dark and dingy. The room was small, but the beds were comfortable and the bathroom was clean. The only view we had was looking out into the small and unimpressive courtyard. However, the courtyard in the front of the hotel is nice.

The service was unfriendly and unpleasant.

There are much better choices in Florence and I would not stay here again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Dear Jodi101,
Many thanks for your review about your recent stay at Montebello Splendid. I regret to read that you were not impressed by our hotel. The hotel Brunelleschi was overbooked and relocated your at our hotel. Rooms were assigned randomly to your group and many other direct feedback are very positive. I’m not also very sure that you would have a better view and larger standard room at the original hotel, but this doesn’t change that much.
Our lobby and lounge were refurnished just few years ago, respecting the neo-classical style that an old city like Florence teach worldwide.
On behalf of the whole team I wish you all the best.
Wokingham, Berkshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013 via mobile

I booked through last minute.com and thought I got a reasonable deal it is amazing though how the cost creeps up when you add on 20 euro's each for breakfast and 30 euro's for car parking - maybe I didn't get such a good deal!. Price aside the hotel is in a quiet upmarket residential area and the room was very spacious in fact it felt more like an apartment. It is a pleasant 10 - 15 minute walk into the centre of Florence. The bed however was scrumptious and the sleep quality excellent. Despite my moaning about the price of breakfast I will admit the range of food and quality was good.

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
MontebelloSplendid, General Manager at Montebello Splendid, responded to this review, June 11, 2013
Dear benhamparty
Thank you for staying with us and for sharing you positive experience at Montebello Splendid. I’m very pleased that you enjoyed the hotel location and the quality of the sleep. Our quite area and comfortable beds is a kind of our signature.
I recommend for the next time to book the B&B rate arrangement, so you can have our delicious breakfast at a very competitive price. If you consider 20 euro to expensive, what would you think of our competitor’s rate that is between 30 to 45 euro?
Parking in Florence is very expensive and at charge for any visitors as it is in Rome, Milan, Paris, London, New York etc.. Parking in the streets is allowed only for resident. Florence is a medieval town with more than one thousand year history and developed in an era when cars didn’t exist. At any hotel you stay in the city centre you will be charged from a minimum of €25 to €45 valet service excluded (as our competitors 5 stars hotel do). The public unsecured parking cost is €3,00 per hour in the spot in the city centre. The Montebello Splendid is one of the 3 hotels in the city centre that have a private underground garage directly connected to the lobby. Before stating that the 30 euro charge is exorbitant, you should check at other properties where you also would be charged for each valet service. I assure you that many of our repeater guests really appreciate this facility and consider it very convenient compared to the service offered by other hotels they stayed before.
On behalf of the whole team, I thank you again for staying with us and I wish to be able to welcome you again in our beautiful city.

All the best,

Scottsdale, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013

If your looking for a very nice and cozy hotel that is close to almost everything in Florence, this would be a good choice. We actually stayed here twice in the same trip, once for 3 days prior to leaving for Milan and then when we returned from our cruise for one additional night. About a half a mile from the train station, Pointe Vecchia, some really good leather stores and some of the best 'local' restaurants, enjoy your stay here. Not the least expensive hotel we could have chosen, but very well appointed and friendly people. You'll need to know at least a few words in Italian, although they do speak English. Easier on them if you know how to ask for a taxi, where are a few good restaurants, how to get to the train station on foot, etc. Pointe Vecchia is quite close and many shops line the street along the riverfront which is 2 blocks from the hotel entrance. Easy walk to the Pointe. Book the hotel with breakfast included of which they do a nice job of setting up the buffet with fresh fruits, pastries, eggs, yogurts, and fresh juices.
No Pool or spa that we could find, but I wasn't really looking for it either.

Room Tip: ask for room 206
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013 via mobile

We spent six days at this beautiful hotel. We loved our room and had a fantastic balcony but found the bathroom very small and cluttered. Some people would have had trouble with the tub/shower as you practically had to step over the toilet and bidet to get into the tub. There was also no space for toiletries and personal items.

That said, the rest was perfect. Front desk staff was very friendly and helpful and the hotel restaurant and bar were great. We also found several good restaurants in the neighborhood. We loved the location as it got us away from the busiest part of the city while being within easy walking distance from all the places we wanted to see. Would definitely recommend this hotel for your visit to Florence.

• Stayed May 2013
MontebelloSplendid, General Manager at Montebello Splendid, responded to this review, June 3, 2013
Dear Farende,
Thank you very much for posting your positive review about your long stay at Montebello Splendid. I’m very pleased that in the whole period you stayed with us you had chance to appreciate the homelike style and friendly attitude of the staff. We all are committed to offer a pleasant and memorable stay in Florence. I’m also very pleased to read the you enjoyed also the hotel quite location with plenty of services just steps away.
On behalf of the whole staff I’d like to thank you again for staying with us and to say to you arrivederci to the next occasion.

1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2013

I cannot warn you enough to stay away from this hotel. I have stayed in a very wide variety of hotels from bottom of the heap in the middle of no where in a pinch to 5 star. This hotel above all others was the worst experience of my 45 years of living. First of all, we arrived to a room with torn Duvets. Then while putting away our clothing into the closet we found a huge amount of dried vomit in there. Apparently, this is not new for them. A friend of ours in Florence actually cringed when I told him we were staying there. He stated that many of his business associates ( he has a large textile business) had stayed there and all had NEVER returned to that hotel secondary to the rudeness and uncleanliness. Even if I had been able to give a zero I would have given a one simply because of the beauty of the courtyard.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Kathy A
We all are terribly sorry for not being able to offer you a good experience here in Florence. My colleague noticed your rude reaction in front of the inconvenient occurred and we were sure that this would have been the final result.
No excuse, in one of your 4 duvet in the room there was a small scratch that the maid didn’t notice when replacing. It was promptly replaced with a new one. In the room assigned to you there is a walk-in closed with a sliding door inside the wall. My colleague confirmed that there was some dust on the back of the door which is usually kept open. She apologized with you and arranged for the prompt cleaning and a special gift from our side. No way it was vomit.
We do have a large amount of repeat guests both leisure and business that appreciate the location, the cleanliness and the great value for money of our hotel. Of course this type of small inconvenient can always occur even if we all are committed to offer immaculate service. We will keep high the level of attention in order to avoid similar episode in the future.
Once again, on behalf of the housekeeping, I renew my apologize and I take this opportunity to wish to your family all the best.

Hotel manager

Been to Montebello Splendid? Share your experiences!