“Traveling Alone...” 5 of 5 stars

You added Hotel Montebello Splendid to your Saves list
Hotel Montebello Splendid
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Via Garibaldi, 14, 50123 Florence, Italy   |
Ranked #105 of 461 Hotels in Florence

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

This is our favorite hotel in Italy! An incredible attentive staff, beautiful rooms and suites.
The hotel is two minutes from the US Embassy along the river in a magnificent neighborhood.
The restaurant cuisine is five stars in a an elegant setting. We look forward to our stay every year.
Owner and GM are at the front desk everyday.
See you in the summer,
Russell and Diana
Naples, Florida

Room Tip: Ask for Gabriel
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
MontebelloSplendid, General Manager at Hotel Montebello Splendid, responded to this review, January 29, 2013
Dear Russel and Diana,
Thank you very much for your great review about your stay at Montebello Splendid. It’s always a pleasure to welcome you back to Florence and we all are waiting for your next trip.
We are always very excited when we can offer our services to nice people as you with whom we can always have a very nice cultural exchange and pleasant conversations.
All the best from the whole staff and see you soon.

Riccardo Fracassi
Hotel manager
Armonk, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

Nice hotel. Not 5 Stars.
If Westin is 5, then this is 4
Hotel staff was fine, but not 5 star
However- The price makes a difference. There is value.
Other 5 star hotels were twice the amount.
I would not tell someone not to stay there. If your looking for real 5 star level
then go with Westin if u can afford
Otherwise this hotel is value

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear Frookie
Thank you very much for staying with us and for the nice words about our hotel. I read carefully your point of view and I’m glad you well appreciated the value for money of the Montebello Splendid, a family owned independent hotel. Our hotel is a boutique hotel with an home-like style which is very different from what you can find in the big hotel chain you mentioned which is exactly 3 times bigger and structured than us. Our room rates and F&B rates are usually 30-50% more convenient compared to other 5 stars hotel. Despite that we are committed to offer very nice and clean luxury rooms and friendly and flexible service. We are glad to welcome and assist tourist during the whole stay in Florence and let them feel comfortable with no dress code or too much formalities.
I’m sorry you didn’t like the philosophy of our hotel, but of course I would be very glad to welcome you back and do my best to let you experience the best of Florence.

Riccardo Fracassi
Hotel manager
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

We were here at the end of November. The hotel is clean, spacious and well appointed with a short walk to the main attractions. The staff were friendly and we had no complaints regarding service. Whilst we didn't eat in the al a carte restaurant, which was expensive, we had breakfasts there; the choice was good although the cooked breakfast was limited and the same each day. The evening turn down service was a nice touch, the mini bar in the room very expensive and the tea and coffee not replenished throughout our stay.

Room Tip: We were in a double overlooking the balcony. The shutters meant we were not awoken early as the cour...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

The hotel is very big with place to walk. Restuarant seats outside and a cute patio to smoke and sit and enjoy the view. The rooms are spacious, elegant and beautiful. The staff was very nice and pleasant. A little far from the center, about 10 minute walk but still superb location! I would recommend this to a friend and everyone travelling to Florence!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Knoxville
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

I stayed here back in March, and was so impressed, that I made it my base for the week my son and I returned to Florence during Thanksgiving Week. Didn't disappoint. The service was excellent and the property, impeccable. My son forgot his passport in the room when we took an overnight trip to Rome, and the staff at the Montebello Splendid made sure that the copy they had on file was faxed to our hotel in Rome so that we could check in. Lesson learned, never leave a passport behind if you plan to check into another hotel during your stay! Such a great hotel, and I won't hesitate to stay here again when we return to Florence later this year. It is a short distance from the city center, but perfect to make you explore the less traveled streets on the way to the normal attractions, and the walk along the Arno makes it worthwhile. Excellent property.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Greenville, South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

This was my 2nd stay at this very nice hotel. Last stay was back in 2005. The hotel itself still lived up to my expectations. The room (shared w/ my sister) was quite spacious. Very clean and excellent amenities (love the slippers and turn down service!). It's funny, though......in 2005 when I went, my best friend's husband commented about how rude the staff was. I didn't really notice. THIS TIME, however, I kind of "got" what he meant. And I think the reason it stood out so much was because this was the 3rd hotel during my trip of 5 hotel stays (city-hopping among Venice, Florence, Milan, Naples and then Paris) and I had some other places to compare it to. I wouldn't call the staff "rude," but they definitely did not come close to being as pleasant as the staff at most of the other hotels I stayed in (and those hotels weren't 5 star, but rather 4 star). Some people may call them "snooty," some may call them "rude," but there was just "something" missing from the staff at this hotel....maybe some smiles and warmth...appreciation for choosing their hotel to stay? And I think it's funny that the front desk is positioned so that when you come through the hotel door (the rotating door), you really don't see the staff member(s) who are stationed at the desk. So, there's no "Buongiorno" or "Buona Sera" each time you return to the hotel (and yes, I did get that at the other hotels...except for Paris). Anyway......the hotel property itself is exquisite. Since I really didn't have to bother w/ the staff while there, my stay was just fine. Wait...I did have to ask the lady that checked us in about a shoe repair place. She did give us directions, but we didn't find that one. We did end up stopping in a shoe shop to inquire about the direction of the shoe repair place and were guided (quite politely) to "Centro Servizi Rapidi" on Via Palazzuolo where I received FABULOUS shoe repair (re-heeled my boot) while I waited! And the owner/shoe repair man "Francesco" (I think that was his name) was delightful!!!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Hotel Montebello Splendid? Share your experiences!