“Quiet and near to central Florence” 4 of 5 stars

You added Montebello Splendid to your Saves list
Montebello Splendid
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Via Garibaldi, 14, 50123 Florence, Italy   |
Ranked #89 of 459 hotels in Florence
“Quiet and near to central Florence”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

We were here at the end of November. The hotel is clean, spacious and well appointed with a short walk to the main attractions. The staff were friendly and we had no complaints regarding service. Whilst we didn't eat in the al a carte restaurant, which was expensive, we had breakfasts there; the choice was good although the cooked breakfast was limited and the same each day. The evening turn down service was a nice touch, the mini bar in the room very expensive and the tea and coffee not replenished throughout our stay.

Room Tip: We were in a double overlooking the balcony. The shutters meant we were not awoken early as the cour...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

585 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

The hotel is very big with place to walk. Restuarant seats outside and a cute patio to smoke and sit and enjoy the view. The rooms are spacious, elegant and beautiful. The staff was very nice and pleasant. A little far from the center, about 10 minute walk but still superb location! I would recommend this to a friend and everyone travelling to Florence!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Knoxville
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

I stayed here back in March, and was so impressed, that I made it my base for the week my son and I returned to Florence during Thanksgiving Week. Didn't disappoint. The service was excellent and the property, impeccable. My son forgot his passport in the room when we took an overnight trip to Rome, and the staff at the Montebello Splendid made sure that the copy they had on file was faxed to our hotel in Rome so that we could check in. Lesson learned, never leave a passport behind if you plan to check into another hotel during your stay! Such a great hotel, and I won't hesitate to stay here again when we return to Florence later this year. It is a short distance from the city center, but perfect to make you explore the less traveled streets on the way to the normal attractions, and the walk along the Arno makes it worthwhile. Excellent property.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Greenville, South Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

This was my 2nd stay at this very nice hotel. Last stay was back in 2005. The hotel itself still lived up to my expectations. The room (shared w/ my sister) was quite spacious. Very clean and excellent amenities (love the slippers and turn down service!). It's funny, though......in 2005 when I went, my best friend's husband commented about how rude the staff was. I didn't really notice. THIS TIME, however, I kind of "got" what he meant. And I think the reason it stood out so much was because this was the 3rd hotel during my trip of 5 hotel stays (city-hopping among Venice, Florence, Milan, Naples and then Paris) and I had some other places to compare it to. I wouldn't call the staff "rude," but they definitely did not come close to being as pleasant as the staff at most of the other hotels I stayed in (and those hotels weren't 5 star, but rather 4 star). Some people may call them "snooty," some may call them "rude," but there was just "something" missing from the staff at this hotel....maybe some smiles and warmth...appreciation for choosing their hotel to stay? And I think it's funny that the front desk is positioned so that when you come through the hotel door (the rotating door), you really don't see the staff member(s) who are stationed at the desk. So, there's no "Buongiorno" or "Buona Sera" each time you return to the hotel (and yes, I did get that at the other hotels...except for Paris). Anyway......the hotel property itself is exquisite. Since I really didn't have to bother w/ the staff while there, my stay was just fine. Wait...I did have to ask the lady that checked us in about a shoe repair place. She did give us directions, but we didn't find that one. We did end up stopping in a shoe shop to inquire about the direction of the shoe repair place and were guided (quite politely) to "Centro Servizi Rapidi" on Via Palazzuolo where I received FABULOUS shoe repair (re-heeled my boot) while I waited! And the owner/shoe repair man "Francesco" (I think that was his name) was delightful!!!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012 via mobile

Never been treated so rude and disrespectful ! Service was outrages the waiter actually yelled at us during our dinner! The front desk argued with us over the price, I should of left then but the place is very nice to look at! I called the front desk twice about a dog barking in the room next door, he said " dog there are no dogs barking here"! "DO NOT STAY HERE" !

• Stayed November 2012
MontebelloSplendid, General Manager at Montebello Splendid, responded to this review, January 29, 2013
Dear ScottPatten,
It’s very sad to reply to this review. Every guest is very welcomed at Montebello Splendid, but of course when we encounter friendly and polite people everything is easier.
You arrived at our hotel by taxi without a reservation. We informed you about the availability and daily rate, and then you started bargaining a rate at the front desk pretending to pay “your rate”. Front desk staff is not allowed to adjust rate according to a guest requirement, nor we are on a street market.
We don’t have either waiters that yell to guests and is pretty useless to mention the details of that night.
Again, you mentioned a dog barking, but when we checked after your first and second call, there was no dog barking in the rooms next to yours – probably he stopped sometimes.
From negative reviews there is always something to learn to improve our service, unfortunately in this case there is just a little.
Kind regards,

Riccardo Fracassi
Hotel manager
Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

This hotel has a wonderful staff, very friendly, courteous, and if you are American, English speaking as well. Our room was very nice, not small, and the price was extremely competitive. My wife and I spent 2 nights here on an 8 day trip in Europe and would certainly come back here. Highly recommend.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Palisade, Co.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

We spent two weeks in Italy starting with Rome, Venice, and the last 6 days in Florence. Montebello is by FAR my favorite hotel of our entire trip. From the second we walked in the door we were greeted by warm, friendly and incredibly helpful people. Front desk helped with directions to everywhere we wanted to go, including finding out how to return our rental car on our day of departure.
I must say a special thank you to the restaurant/bar manager and his AMAZING staff. We had cocktails every evening after sightseeing and I am still raving about the amazing service and attention to detail. Everything from breakfast in the morning to our evening cocktail was served with meticulous care and grace. The hotel itself is beautiful and has all of the amenities one would expect from a 5 star, but the staff here puts this hotel in a category all its own.

If you are driving, it is a bit difficult to navigate to, we finally gave in to the directions on our GPS and sneaked down the wrong way on a one way road. Easy walk to everywhere you want to be.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Montebello Splendid? Share your experiences!