“I left my heart in Firenze” 5 of 5 stars

Hotel Montebello Splendid
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Via Garibaldi, 14, 50123 Florence, Italy   |
Ranked #105 of 461 Hotels in Florence
Oakland, California
“I left my heart in Firenze”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2011

Oh this hotel was beautiful! We stayed here for just one night, but two days, and I squeezed out every last piece of energy I had relaxing here. The location is excellent, very easy to walk to everything we wanted to see/accomplish.

The room was gorgeous and it was good to catch up on some BBC, the robes were so plush, and the bath had a full jacuzzi. It was just what I needed to refresh before the 20 hour journey home!

We'll definitely be back to Firenze and we'll stay here, it might just take me a minute to be able to afford it.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
MontebelloSplendid, General Manager at Hotel Montebello Splendid, responded to this review, May 1, 2011
Dear Rokopuri,
we thank you very much for your enthusiastic review on this website. It’s a real pleasure to understand that you had wonderful time in Florence and that we were able to offer an unforgettable and relaxing experience.
We are always focused offering new services and amenities to our guests, and we are pleased to announce that within May 2011 we will have all new flat Led TV with more than 80 satellite channels. Again we will be glad to offer a new outside lounge for comfortable and relaxing seating tasting a good glass of wine during our happy hours time.
We will be pleased to welcome you again in Florence as soon as you will have chance to travel again to Italy.

Hotel manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2011

This was a beautiful hotel. Rooms were lovely and had numerous little touches that made it feel special. Would recommend this to anybody!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
MontebelloSplendid, General Manager at Hotel Montebello Splendid, responded to this review, May 3, 2011
Dear lindsay5,
on behalf of the whole staff of the Montebello Splendid I’d like to thank you for choosing our hotel and for posting this very positive comment on this website and a very nice picture of our lounge.
We are very pleased you had a wonderful stay and we look forward to welcome you back very soon.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2011

The room size, decor and furnishings were top notch. Amazingly good beds. Very spacious. Old-world charming style. Wonderful garden area. Quiet location, not in the center of the action, but a beautiful 20 minute walk to the center.
Overall, the staff were friendly and helpful. Though the concierge was not up to proper standard, lacking true local knowledge and insight. They were prompt in booking restaurants we selected, but had very limited recommendations (they might know one place, but if it is booked or closed, they had no second choice).
The worst part was the driver they recommened for Chianti. Beside being abhorrently expensive, he had limited knowledge of the area and talked incessantly (not about the area, which would have been welcome, rather about his opinions and fabricated life history). Most egregiously, he talked us out of a going to lunch at a small, private vineyard we had booked so he could bring us to a place he described as heaven. His recommendation was overcrowded with tourists and tourbuses, but was more convenient for him to drive to and he obviously knew the people.
While the driver is the primary problem, I am annoyed that I specifically questioned the hotel on the very high price of the driver and they ensured me of his expertise and said they would not look for any othe service. I could have paid 30 euros on a tourbus and gotten the same experience.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
MontebelloSplendid, General Manager at Hotel Montebello Splendid, responded to this review, May 2, 2011
Dear Youro-star,
thank you very much for staying at Montebello Splendid. I’m very pleased you enjoyed the facilities and ambiance of our hotel.
I regret to understand that you were not happy with recommendations we provided and, on behalf of front desk, I apologize for not being able to satisfy your expectations.
Regarding restaurant recommendations, sound me very strange that we only have one option for our guests. In Florence there are more than 300 restaurants and trattoria and we have a pretty long list of selected and recommended places divided for cuisine, ambiance, budget.
I also forwarded your comment to the owner of the limousine company with your concerns. He is usually very well appreciated by our guests and often specifically required for a second tour or transfer. His friendliness, good English skill and knowledge of the area are always remarked by feedback of other travellers. Anyway, thank you for your feedback – we will invite him to better understand his passengers needs. Once again please accept our apologize for not being able to offer a nice excursion to the Chianti area.
On behalf of the whole staff I wish you all the best and I look forward to welcome you back to our beautiful city very soon.

San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2011

I traveled to Florence for a work trip and this hotel was arranged by our Florence office, so I arrived unknowing...and what a surprise awaited!
The hotel has been remodeled, but trying to keep the old world charm with modern amenities. Lovely decorated, decent size rooms, great bathrooms and toiletries provided. Breakfast was quite the spread...and great coffee available all day.
The staff was friendly, offerring suggestions for dinner or attractions.
Close to walk to major attractions, yet off the beaten path of too many tourists. I was able to leave the window open at night and the neighborhood was quiet.
I'm returning again next month and have already booked this hotel again!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
MontebelloSplendid, General Manager at Hotel Montebello Splendid, responded to this review, April 28, 2011
Dear Sandogjen,
Thank you very much for staying at Montebello Splendid and for sharing your great experience on Tripadvisor.
We are very pleased to read your satisfaction and this represent our greatest reward. I’m also very pleased you appreciated the attitude of our staff and our food and beverages selection.
We will be glad to welcome you again on the next visit and consider you as our repeater guest.
On behalf of the whole team, I wish you all the best and I remain at your disposal for any assistance you may need.

Leeds, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2011 via mobile

My wife and I had a very enjoyable four nights at this lovely hotel. The room we had which was a standard double was far from standard. The bed was very comfortable with lovely quality bedding. The room was spotless with a huge bath and shower. I only have two gripes. One is that the turndown service and towel changes were rather erratic. Often not happening at all without prompting. The other was that there is only one English speaking TV Channel, CNN. Which I think is out of order for a hotel of this quality. However, it didn't spoil out stay, but a decent choice should be available.

• Stayed April 2011
MontebelloSplendid, General Manager at Hotel Montebello Splendid, responded to this review, April 26, 2011
Dear denniscotler,
Thank you very much for choosing the Montebello splendid for your long stay in Florence and for sharing your positive experience on tripadvisor. I’m very pleased you enjoyed the comfort of our beds and had a comfortable stay.
Regarding your concern about TV channels, I’d like to inform you and all the future guests, that an investment of $100.000 will take in every rooms a new flat wide TV screen and a modern satellite system with up to 80 Italian and International channels. This improvement will take place within the May 2011.
I hope that next time you will visit Florence and staying at our hotel you will be able to enjoy also this new feature.
On behalf of the whole staff, I thank you again for staying with us and I wish you and your wife all the best.

Puerto Rico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2011

I had the opportunity of spending two nights during new years at this fantastic hotel walking distance to the florence main attractions. Service is superb - Breakfast menu (one of the best during our stay in italy) - Parking facilities (quite expensive $25 euros per night near the hotel) Room - quality and comfort great!! Nicely appointed bedroom and large and comfortable bed and pillows! Lobby is antic and elegant !! Great selection away from the crowds but not too far away of the city attraction...

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
MontebelloSplendid, General Manager at Hotel Montebello Splendid, responded to this review, March 3, 2011
Dear Fontcar,
I’m very pleased to read your great satisfaction about your recent stay at Montebello Splendid and I’d like to thank you for taking time sharing your experience on this website.
I hope you will have chance to come back soon and experience the new enhancement that we have planned to offer our guests, including great promotion regarding our food and beverage and some other surprises. Our goal is to offer an homelike attentive service and a competitive value for money to our guests.
I’m sorry that when you arrived our underground garage was already full; you noticed that parking in Florence is a big issue and expensive in general. Rates start from 25 to 45 euro for external garage.
Once again, on behalf of the whole staff of Montebello Splendid, thank you for staying with us and for the nice words you wrote about us.

Wiltshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2011

We have just returned from a two night stay with our 6 month old daughter. It was supposed to be a valentine trip but I couldn't leave the baby. The hotel was very accommodating. The suite we had was stunning and we ordered dinner to our room, which was prompt and delicious. Breakfast was lovely in the conservatory. The server luisa was very attentive and kind to us with helping with the baby.
An absolute 5 star hotel, located in quiet area and short walk to all sights.

• Stayed February 2011
MontebelloSplendid, General Manager at Hotel Montebello Splendid, responded to this review, February 24, 2011
Dear Duckanddickie,
thank you very much for your contribution to this website, sharing your extremely positive review.
It was a great pleasure to have you and your beautiful little daughter; I hope that her as well will have somehow a great memory of her first travel to Florence!
I’m very glad you enjoyed your stay with us, including the food of our restaurant and the attentive and home-like service provided by our staff.
On behalf of the whole team at Montebello Splendid, I wish you all the best and I look forward to welcome you again in Florence very soon, maybe when your daughter will have chance to really appreciate the beauty and richness of our town and its surroundings.
Thank you very much for staying with us.

Hotel manager

Been to Hotel Montebello Splendid? Share your experiences!