“Great if you're craving Asian food!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #473 of 1,970 Restaurants in Florence
Cuisines: Japanese, Thai
Dining options: Reservations, Delivery, Late Night
Dining options: Reservations, Delivery, Late Night
“Great if you're craving Asian food!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2014

As Thai food is hard to find in Florence, Niwa was a great surprise! It's not a proper Thai restaurant but more of a fusion Asian restaurant, serving things like spring rolls, great spicy Thai soup but also good sushi. We ordered pad thai which wasn't of the quality we are used to (very big flat noodles) but we know this now for next time. We didn't try a lot of the Japanese menu but the Japanese dishes also looked good. great place if you want a change from Italian food!

Florence, Italy
“Finally!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2013

My husband and I moved to Firenze back in August and have been searching for good Asian food ever since. We found great Chinese food in Siesto, but were still looking for Japanese and Thai food. Well, we finally found it! Niwa was wonderful. We sampled three appetizers - the edamame, the vegetable tempura, and the vegetable spring rolls. The tempura and spring rolls were so light and delicate, not over-battered and greasy. The flavors were even better, and the sauce that came with the spring rolls was heavenly. It had much more a bite than most sauces I'm used to with that kind of appetizer, but it was welcomed! The only problem I had was with the edamame, and which is why this isn't a five-star review. I prefer my edamame steamed, so the pod is nice and crunchy and the beans just pop out. At Niwa, it seems they boil their edamame, which makes the pod very soft and mushy, allowing it to go into your mouth with the bean and have the sort of waxy inner-lining of the pod (which doesn't taste great) fall out as well. They could have also had just a pinch more salt, they weren't salted enough.

The sushi was excellent - my husband had the tiger roll and I the modified california roll. Both were presented beautifully. The desert we got was the crepe with gelato flambé. What a nice and surprising treat! They put anise seed on the top of the crepe and used sambuca to feed the flambé. It was a lovely combination of flavors.

While some people here complained about the service, we thought it was great. Two warm towelettes were brought to our table so we could refresh our hands before our meal. I mean, yes, the sushi took a while, but that's to be expected with good, fresh, hand-rolled sushi. It just doesn't happen in five minutes. Our appetizers were all brought out at the right time, with enough space in between them to make us hungry for more! Several servers were very attentive to us, and this on a busy Friday night where we walked in without a reservation and were seated right away.

Upon paying the check we were asked if we would like a complimentary digestive, and they were brought out right away.

All in all, a great experience! We look forward to going again and trying the Thai portion of the menu!

• Visited October 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Chandler, AZ
“Modern decor, tasy Thai food!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

My wife and I were visiting Firenze and staying at the AC Hotel Firenze around the corner and found Niwa to be a pleasant surprise!

We only ordered the Miso Soup and Chicken and Cashew Nuts entrée and were very satisfied and surprised at the quality.

I'm typically skeptical of Asian restaurants that serve food from multiple nationalities (i.e. Japanese and Thai, as in this case), but what we tried was excellent and the service and ambiance are great too.

We only saw locals eating here and it's a great break from Italian food if you're traveling the country from abroad.

Highly recommend if it's convenient for you to stop by.

Visited June 2013
Hamburg, Germany
“Okay Food but Expensive with Small Portions and Slow Service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

My wife and I were looking for something different to eat to take a break from all the Italian food we were having. We both love Thai and she loves sushi so we figured with the overall positive reviews this place was worth a try. I have to admit that the restaurant is very pretty and well put together but it seems they have to charge too much for their dishes to make up for all the money they spent on interior decorating.

There were a bunch of different sushi rolls and Thai dishes available. My wife decided not to go with sushi because the price of the rolls were so high. I got a chicken dish with basil and garlic and she got a similar dish with noodles and tofu. I was fairly surprised when they brought out the dishes. My entree looked more like an appetizer than an actual meal. It also didn't come with any rice which is a first for me and Thai food. It tasted decent but was not worth the money spent on it and I was very disappointed. I left hungry and had to eat some food when I got back to the hotel. My wife thought her dish was alright but wasn't all that impressed.

It took forever to get someones attention at times. I don't mind being left alone while I eat but having to emphatically wave someone down isn't good either. I was taken aback at the 5 euro service charge. Sometimes having the tip added in can save confusion while traveling but for that amount of tip I would actually expect attentive service. The food was too expensive for the quality and this restaurant was not worth visiting.

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
US
“Waste of money”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

First off you have to pay a cover charge of €5 euros, which sets the tone really. Despite it being empty, service was so slow it was 30 minutes before we got to order because they were concerned it's other menial tasks. We spent a lot of money on small, average tasting dishes, and we're all in all completely unsatisfied. Don't waste your money here.

• Visited April 2013