“Modern decor, tasy Thai food!” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Japanese, Thai
Dining options: Reservations, Delivery, Late Night
Dining options: Reservations, Delivery, Late Night
Chandler, AZ
“Modern decor, tasy Thai food!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2013

My wife and I were visiting Firenze and staying at the AC Hotel Firenze around the corner and found Niwa to be a pleasant surprise!

We only ordered the Miso Soup and Chicken and Cashew Nuts entrée and were very satisfied and surprised at the quality.

I'm typically skeptical of Asian restaurants that serve food from multiple nationalities (i.e. Japanese and Thai, as in this case), but what we tried was excellent and the service and ambiance are great too.

We only saw locals eating here and it's a great break from Italian food if you're traveling the country from abroad.

Highly recommend if it's convenient for you to stop by.

Visited June 2013

Hamburg, Germany
“Okay Food but Expensive with Small Portions and Slow Service”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2013

My wife and I were looking for something different to eat to take a break from all the Italian food we were having. We both love Thai and she loves sushi so we figured with the overall positive reviews this place was worth a try. I have to admit that the restaurant is very pretty and well put together but it seems they have to charge too much for their dishes to make up for all the money they spent on interior decorating.

There were a bunch of different sushi rolls and Thai dishes available. My wife decided not to go with sushi because the price of the rolls were so high. I got a chicken dish with basil and garlic and she got a similar dish with noodles and tofu. I was fairly surprised when they brought out the dishes. My entree looked more like an appetizer than an actual meal. It also didn't come with any rice which is a first for me and Thai food. It tasted decent but was not worth the money spent on it and I was very disappointed. I left hungry and had to eat some food when I got back to the hotel. My wife thought her dish was alright but wasn't all that impressed.

It took forever to get someones attention at times. I don't mind being left alone while I eat but having to emphatically wave someone down isn't good either. I was taken aback at the 5 euro service charge. Sometimes having the tip added in can save confusion while traveling but for that amount of tip I would actually expect attentive service. The food was too expensive for the quality and this restaurant was not worth visiting.

• Visited June 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
US
“Waste of money”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

First off you have to pay a cover charge of €5 euros, which sets the tone really. Despite it being empty, service was so slow it was 30 minutes before we got to order because they were concerned it's other menial tasks. We spent a lot of money on small, average tasting dishes, and we're all in all completely unsatisfied. Don't waste your money here.

• Visited April 2013
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
“Great service.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012 via mobile

I had just arrived Florence and was completely famished. Rummaging through tripadvisor and found this restaurant. Thinking I'll have trouble communicating with them since I'm a Chinese and didn't understand Japanese, I conversed with them in simple English, hoping they'll understand. To my surprise, they speak fluent English. It was until halfway eating I heard them speaking Chinese, and the awkwardness lightened. They were really friendly, helping us find a hotel which is just on the next street.
The only thing that I want to criticize is that the food took hella long to serve. Not a good thing when you're hungry.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Florence, Toscana, Italy
“Great Thai, not so great Japanese”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

We didn't really like the Japanese food there. But in contrast, we love their Thai food. Especially the sweet and sour soup, simply delish...

Give it a try if you are in Florence and you are bored with all the pastas and pizzas. You will not regret it.

• Visited November 2012