“It's good...the best?” 4 of 5 stars

Update restaurant details
Ranked #52 of 1,868 restaurants in Florence
Cuisines: Dessert, Italian, Ice Cream, Family Fare
Dining options: Late Night
Description: From this very charming location it is possible to enjoy unparalleled views of the Uffizi Gallery, the Vasari Corridor, and Ponte Vecchio-all while enjoying our homemade, hand-crafted ice cream with its basic, natural and authentic ingredients of the highest quality.
Regina, Canada
“It's good...the best?”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013 via mobile

We are renting a flat above the shop and so we end up there most nights for gelato.

Most flavours (that we've tried) are very flavorful and very tasty - limone ans pistachio are favorites. The size/value is good...I've paid 6 euro for more but it melted way before it could be eaten so 3 euro for a medium cup seems about right. I've had better melone but I like the fact that the combinations and flavours aren't so muddled and unnecessary as to become inane

• Visited June 2013

90% Recommend
  • Greek first
florence italy
“Not Anymore The Best Gelato”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

When Cantina del Gelato first opened, I used to go there daily for a delicious ice cream. I must tell you that since they received their trip advisor card, the place has steadily gone down hill and the quality of their ingredients is now of the lowest quality. I asked the owner why the ice cream didn't have the flavor it used to have and he said perhaps the ingredients were not the same quality everyday. They should be the same standard each day. Local people have taken their business up the street to the Stregga Noccioli which served fabulous ice cream EVERY day. The Cantina sells to tourists who pass by once and for the most part, are not familiar with good quality gelato. If you visit, the on;y flavor to have is Chocolate which is quite good. The rest is absolutely bland.

• 1 of 5 stars Food
cantinadelgelato, Proprietario at Cantina del Gelato, responded to this review, July 5, 2013
We feel really sorry that you think our ice-cream isn’t good as before, but we can guarantee that we didn’t change anything after receiving our trip advisor card, wouldn’t make any sense to do that, our ice-cream is a 70 years of family tradition in doing real home-made ice-cream!

We just use products that we can be sure of its quality. Probably was a misunderstanding, what I meant about the ingredients, was that they don’t have always the same taste, or every apple do you eat tastes the same?! It doesn’t mean that we buy low quality products, just means that we REALLY use fresh products, and using them it’s IMPOSSIBLE that every time the ice-cream has the same taste, but for sure the quality is always the best. We invite you to come with us to buy the products and also to visit our laboratory to see it by yourself! We hope to see you again!
“THE Best Gelato in Italy”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2013

I stay two weeks in Italy so i try new places for the ultimate gelato. From Rome To Sicily up to Firenze and as incredibly as it is i found Cantina del Gelato very close to Ponte Vecchio (Firenze) was not expensive at all. (2.50€ for up to three flavors) and believe me when i say it is THE BEST gelato in Italy!!! Hazelnut, Mascarpone and Italian Cream were my flavors. After that my quest for THE BEST gelato was over.
Keep up the excellent work!!!!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Jersey City, New Jersey
“Best gelato in Florence hands down”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2013 via mobile

Best gelato in town hands down. Recommended by the locals. The prove is excellent as well. The kiwi flavor is phenomenal.

Green Bay, Wisconsin
“Best gelato in all of Italy!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2013

We traveled all across Italy, from Milan, to Venice, to Florence, to Rome, to Pisa, Cinque Terre, etc. and tried gelato in each city. This was BY FAR the best gelato we had tried on our trip! We initially planned to go to another gelato place, which was recommended by Rick Steves, until the locals advised us that it was not that good. We then asked them where in Florence is the best place to get gelato, and they said, "Cantina del Gelato"! It took a bit of searching to find this place, it's a bit secluded and not near the main attractions, but trust me, the searching was worth it! This gelato shop is located across Ponte Vecchio along the water. It's a very small shop, and owned by just one man. At first I wasn't sure if I wanted to get gelato there because you weren't able to see the gelato (it's in metal tins) before purchasing, but after sampling the bacio, I was completely in love. I mixed two flavors (bacio and crema I believe) and they were FANTASTIC! This gelato tasted very different from any gelato I had ever tried, and it was very fresh. They have lots of flavors to choose from, at very reasonable prices. It's a must go in Florence!