“Avoid!!!” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #226 of 461 Hotels in Florence
Antony, France
“Avoid!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

Very noisy hotel with nearly no isolation between walls.
Breakfast of very very low quality, not to say worse : a terrible experience!
Not in the city center.
No amenities for fun at all.
Shower with no pressure, and put in a corner of the bathroom with no real separation.
And many very noisy students there at the same time!!
Avoid!!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
hoteldelapace, Responsabile relazioni pubbliche at Hotel de la Pace, responded to this review, April 23, 2013
The Hotel has a regular separation between room and room, depends on the client trying to respect the other clients on the sides.
We control regularly the groups of students staying in the Hotel, and we can asure anybody there is silence at night but we cannot costrict anybody to be quiet and silent during the day.
Our Hotel is in the city centre of the city, I can recommend you to use maybe a Map you can find on internet and calculate the distance from our Hotel to the Duomo (100 m) which is universally considered to be the heart of the city centre of the city, maybe an Hotel in front of the Duomo is what you needed, but you might have spent the double you spent in our Hotel considering that the categories of thse Hotel is commonly higher...
We do have a Lounge for guest and a piano, a Marble table hosting a number of 10 people and within the room the clients have a Sat TV, but for sure, I repeat, at a different price in a higher category Hotel you might have found saunas, swimming pools an solariums..
I guess anybody seeking for a classic Hotel for just individuals and a lot of comforts should give for granted that it is not a 3 star what they need but maybe a 5 stars accepting to pay a higher rate though...

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
  • Greek first
Pasadena, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here with a group of students. The rooms were big and clean. The location was fantastic, so clise to the centre of Florence and all the main sttractions. We were supposed to stsy two nights but a strike with Greek ports delayed us by a day.
Unfortunately, a student took sick in the middle of the night, reqiring a trip to the emergency room. The staff assisted us in getting an ambulance, making overseas phone calls to the family, and making the student comfortable when we got back. The clerk even called the hospital as his shift ended because hecwas worried about us!
I would stay here on my own anytime. It is a great hotel in a great location.

hoteldelapace, Responsabile relazioni pubbliche at Hotel de la Pace, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
Dear customer,

we are glad to see that you apreciated our help. We Always try to act in the best way not only to make our clients comfortable but moreover to assist them in case of Emergency. Our staff is prepared and trained to attend people in Emergency situation any time.
WE wish everything got solved and the student recovered and we are looking so forward to having you staying here very soon again.

Best regards
Eindhoven, The Netherlands
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

The room was incredibily smelly and I had better breakfast services in some cheap polish hostels. The view from the rooms is awful.
Enough said. Not worth the money.

At least there's a piano in the hall.

hoteldelapace, Responsabile relazioni pubbliche at Hotel de la Pace, responded to this review, April 18, 2013
We apreciate you review... And your sense of respect for Polish people.

Enough said.

Regards
California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013

Spent 3 nights in this dump (I am being generous with that comment) only because it was part of a package....this was the worst part of our trip. The uncomfortable bed, a mattress on wooden slats....have they heard of box springs or are they still living in the 18th century? No hot water if you are taking a shower when an adjacent room on the same floor is also trying to shower. The breakfast they brag it's savory and sweet, just a few kinds of breads and cereal....not much to brag about. They need to visit a few other hotels in Italy and see how it's done. The old man at the counter, pretty rude and arrogant....he must be the owner or know the owner, how else could he get away with treating the guests like dirt. And of course they can't offer free Wi-Fi for more than 1 hour....pay $5 for 24 hours, it was free at the other hotels that we stayed at. The hotel had a sewer smell to it, we noticed this as soon as we walked in the front door. We spoke to other guests, all had the same comments. I really don't understand any of the good reviews, this place is outrageous. Steer clear of this crap hole, compared to De La Pace, you can't go wrong with any other hotel in Florence. The only comment for this dump is the bus stops on both sides of the street.

Room Tip: Can't imagine any good rooms at this hotel!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
hoteldelapace, Responsabile relazioni pubbliche at Hotel de la Pace, responded to this review, April 2, 2013
The veracity, the truthfulness of your remarks are real as your politeness and your elegant turn of phrases.
I will not add more and if it can encourage you, we do not need people of your "depht" as guests of the Hotel De La Pace.
Brewster, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

then we got our room!!!! 4 th floor awful smell in hall way ,Black Mold in the ceiling, sliding closet type door on bathroom with no channel on bottom door swings out room across hall shower flooded they had to change rooms.....was like a college dorm room for kids,step up to bed hit my head on cieling not good for 6 footers anyway staff was good breakfast was good location was good I suspect they are understaffed and owner not keeping up with maintence front door scapes along ground and this a a solid glass door no frame

Room Tip: stay off of 4 th floor
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Madam,

I remember you. I apologize as I did at that time about the inconvenience you had in that room. Unfortunately a seepage of wather from the window located at the top of the ceiling caused the black mold you were mentioning, you haven't had to be assigned with that room, it has been a mistake we lucky solved the same day, if you remember, changing you the room with all our apologises.
We would like to be able to prove that all our rooms are well kept and our maintenance is constant, but unforseen accidents and mistake can always occur however we Always do our best to avoid them.

Best regards
Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

On an EF tour; checked in; get into room and horrible racket from the heater and loose floorboards from previous water damage. Very terse manager said he could not do anything, but turn the heater off (no mention of sorry, will get it fixed as soon as possible). Once the heater was off, you hear the sound of running water from within the walls very loudly. Very difficult to sleep, but better than the heater. Other family members in room 2 floors up had a faint smell of sewage; no additional rooms so had to spray perfume to exist in the room.

very unhelpful staff at front desk and very poor service at the continental breakfast.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
We are simply shocked that the person which left this review dared not only to write about our Hotel but moreover dared to add remarks about it considering that not one only but two colleagues at the Reception that night had to contain him screaming and yelling (visibly conditioned by too many drinks) down at the Front Desk late at night, waking up part of the other passengers from the EF tour, guests of the Hotel, and kicking the wooden desk of the Lobby while swearing. I am simply speechless. You should just thank my colleagues they preferred to call your team leader whom sent some people of your Group to calm you down out of the entrance instead of calling the police...
We have decided not answering you remarks in this review as we don't even find it necessary.
We just find really silly mentioning the colored inconveniences of the room of a general other client on another floor to give reason and strength to your unhappiness staying by our Structure, when nobody of your Group complained after all.
Hurley, New York, USA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

On arrival in Florence, it seemed moments, and I was easily on the street of the hotel on my walk from the train station. One drawback is that you have to know that the streets in Florence are numbered up one side of the street and then down the other....so e.g., #1 could actually be directly opposite the highest number on the other side of the street. Also, in spite of their use of sub-numbering, like 1a, 1b, etc., to indicate numbers in between already established addresses, they sometimes have numbers way down the other side of the street, as is the case with Hotel de la Pace, # 28 Lamarmora. # 29 is on the left moving away from city center, and # 27 is right next to it....but # 28 is positioned half way down the next block, and on the right hand side....so it's good to to keep these strange things in mind in Florence. Also, while you leave city center on Ricasoli, it changes names three times up the street, the last name being Lamarmosa.
The Gallery Accademia is on the way and on the same street as the hotel (on Ricasoli), and I decided in advance I would visit the Accademia right off the train if the line was reasonable since entry is very difficult to obtain without reservations. However, my walk was so fast, and being 2:00 PM, I figured I would check in at the hotel and rush back down the street to get the museum in.
When I got to the hotel, even though check-in is for 2 PM, the room was not close to being ready. I asked to leave my bags, so I would not waste time standing and waiting. They said I could, but when I wanted to get my camera out of the bag, the woman sent to put my bags in lock-up, went back behind the counter and she and the other clerk on the desk went about both dealing with another guest while I stood ignored, camera in hand, waiting to catch their eyes, to take my bags in. It's hard to believe but while I was standing right there, they completely forgot and/or ignored me until I had to make a point to get them to put up my bags. Not a good start, but I was off to tour the city, and in my element as I took off for the Accademia and the Uffizi, which it turned out I was able to see all within 5 hours of getting off the train. I was on a cloud of pleasure, with the rest of Florence awaiting me next day and the biggest challenges already accomplished, and several sights right near the hotel to start me off.
Now I hasten to point out that all I need in a room is warm water for a shower, and a bed, as I am away most of every day. These were my key problems at Hotel de la Pace. The bed was covered with filty bed covers which I stripped when I got into the room. I couldn't believe that covers with fresh stains and dust on them would be placed on guest beds. I am nothing close to a neat-freak, but these were so bad, I started to cover them with towels before I put my gear down on them, and then finally just gave up and tore them off both beds. (The room had twin beds.) Fortunately the bath towels were heavy and large and I was able to use them for blankets in this cold room, and wore pants and hoodie to bed. The AC was on and I asked the night attendant to regulate the heat for me. He was not able to do it, and it was not to be accomplished for the entire 3 nights of my stay. Somehow, the fan for the system stayed on and even though the room was not super cold, the fan made it colder than it should have been. There were no hangers in the closet at all, no glasses to drink from, and the fridge was barely holding a cold temp within (dirt and dust were caked on the connections in back, though the coils appeared clear). The night agent got me some hangers, ice and a cocktail glass. He was the only bright light in my whole stay at this place. He would do anything to help that he could. After helping me plan two day trips for my 3d day, I changed up and had him book a tour for me to Pisa, San Gimignano, and Sienna which worked out perfect. This is one top drawer hotel agent!
Next morning I advised the now 4th different desk agent of my stay of the problem with the heating. She came to me at breakfast to advise me they could change my room. Pleased, I completed breakfast, a basic continental of rolls, cereal, juice, coffee, cookies, and the like. But, on getting back to the room, I realized that with all my things already spread out for me to head out to do the city tour, I hadn't the time to spare to pack it all up and move to another room without wasting precious minutes I needed to complete my 1-day Florence city tour-de-force. So as I left the room, I advised the desk that I could not afford the lost time to pack and move, and for them to please do something for me to make the current room more livable, since I had also found the bath mirror light had blown out, the night table lamp had a short in the wiring, and there was no cold water. She muttered, "Well don't complain, then," since I couldn't pack and move, and I understood I was losing my chance for a better situation, but my deal on tour, is the sights, and it was too much to lose even a moment, but, the agents should at least have tried to do something.
The upshot is, the maintenance service did not replace the mirror light for 2 days, blankets were placed on the bed, and the bed covers were left off the beds on a sideboard, but still kept in the room. The soap bar I partially used was removed and not replaced, and I used two gel paks for shower in the middle of the next night when I found there to be no hot water in the morning. The used paper cover for the removed bar soap was never taken away, just left on the sink the whole 4 days. The gels I used the second day, were taken and never replaced, so I used the one soap bar that remained the last two days. My final evening, the water was cold in the wee hours as well, so it was a frisky shower experience for me at 'Hotel' de la Pace.
The coup de grace came on the final evening, when the same filthy bed covers were moved from the sideboard and again placed on the beds again. I couldn't believe it!
This is a definite below zero star place for me.

Room Tip: My review is already very comprehensive, but maybe I could add that this room I had was on the groun...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Dear Sir,

I start with answering your note about the streets numbering.
You need to understand that the urbanistic set up so as the the buildings numbering change from a Country to another and you do not need to consider it "weird" just because it is different from the system used in the Country where you live.
In Florence so as in the rest of Italy we name the streets and we assign a number to every single building. This number is not casual as we start numbering the first building of a street with the lower number and we proceed numbering the rest of the street with an increasing number. Nevertheless we number a street using pairs number on a side (usually the right side of a street) and dispairs numbers on the opposite side. This system is thought to help and not to hinder people to search the addresses they are seeking for. Reguarding the names of the streets I can remind you that the name of the streets is well shown at the top of each street beginning, the fact that the street were our Hotel is located changes name twice is an isolated case and via Ricasoli has a different name because it is the continuation of the street of our Hotel but across a square.
In order to inform you about the free services our hotel provide its customers with I would like to remind you that we are glad to help our clients to make reservations in to the several museums of the city. All the clients need to do, is contacting us via phone or via e-mail previously asking the Receptionist on duty which museum they might be interested to, the date and at least the time, moreover I would like to remind you that to whoever is able to wake up early in the morning and showing up in front of the museums such as the Uffizi Gallery and the Accademia, which are the main museums in Florence, renouncing to the privilege to take their time to visit the city, the reservation is not even necessary as the queue out of the entrance is not too long.
As about the Hotel inconveniences I can detailed answer your remarks as following:
- you are right, Sir, when you assert the check in time is 2:00 pm, however sometimes the occupancy of the Hotel is so high that our cleaning staff is running out of time to set up and clean all the rooms in time however they hustle to be on time. But I would also like to underline the fact that we allow our clients to occupy their rooms until 12:00 am the last day of their stay and nevertheless we acquiesce to storage free of charge all their baggages when we cannot check them in yet. Obviously you need to understand that in a moment in which the Receptionist on duty is overbusy with more than a client at the front desk, the Receptionist try to attend as many clients as possible, so I explain this distraction not as as a carelessness but as a lack of time dealing with all the coming up customers at the same time.
You pointed out the fact that the covers of the bed of your rooms had dust and fresh stain which cannot be possible as every room is daily occupied during this season and it is evident that a room must be set up and clean everytime a client leaves and another one is coming up, so I need to apologize because I am sure that if you mentioned this inconvenience you might have noted something wrong on the bed blanket even though I am more than sure it was a ring of a bad cleansing which has not been noted by our cleaning service, if you informed the Receptionist on duty at the Front Desk there would be no problems to substitute it to repair the inconvenience right the way, as my colleague on duty during the evening/night have been doing, providing you with hangers, glasses, ice when asked.
The room had twin beds because the Agency or the Tour Operator you made the Reservation through di not specify how the room should be set like, but with a good communication with the front desk we would have been changing room from the first day not waiting for the last one or at least re-set up you room with a unique bed. The heating system in the room you occupied at the ground floor was to be honest not adjustable cause of a sudden glitch, a small damage that only the technicians could solve, but they were not able to come before tha the end of that week, that is why my colleague could not solve your problem in any other way if not assigning you a new room.
I apologize again for the cleaning staff whom have been so distract not to pay attention to the refills and the reparation of the lights broken, however the fully booked Hotel with a person of the cleaning staff sick has not been helping the situation.
You pointed our Hotel as one of the worst for you, but I guess it was maybe one of the worst experience you might have lived, a bad situation that with all our apologizes it might be avoided with a better communication with the Front Desk.

We wish you a better experience on you next journey.

Best Regards

Been to Hotel de la Pace? Share your experiences!