“It was.” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #57 of 461 hotels in Florence
Chicago, Illinois
“It was.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

I am a seasoned traveler, I've visited many places all around the world since the youngest years of my life, and I lodged at many hotels of every amount of stars. I mean, I have an informed opinion about traveling and lodging based on experience. On Summer of 2010 I stayed at Hotel Pendini for a week with two of my granddaughters. It was a wonderful experience: located in the hearth of Firenze in an impressive historical building, the rooms were spacious with high ceilings beautifully hand-decorated, and antique high-quality furniture, plus a nice breakfast and professional staff. A place to feel comfortable. I've returned to Hotel Pendini 4 years later, on August 2014, with my husband. Everything is different now. It was renovated, gentrificated: low ceilings, small rooms, plastic floating floors crackling under your steps, No detail of bad taste was saved for later. No mirror in the room, only in the bathroom, very tiny bed tables and an annoying clanking bed. Internet service was slow, some ammoniacal smell on the aisles, the staff unfriendly. We stayed just for one night.

cborghigiani, Direttore at Hotel Pendini, responded to this review, 2 days ago
Dear guest,

I have received you last review on the Pendini and thank you for finding time to write this comment.

I am sincerely very surprised to read your comments on the renovated Pendini. In 2010 the Pendini was old and inadequate hotel with old fashioned bathrooms and did not comply with any safety regulation. the air conditioning was unefficient and no internet wifi system was not in place.
the thorough refurbishment we started in late 2010 and completed last winter has given this hotel a totally different image and all this is acknowledged by hundreds of outstanding reviews posted by our customers.

I suppose you stayed in a big room facing the square ant the Duomo during your visit in 2010 and on last stay you have been assigned of a room facing the street of the courtyard and this is probably the difference you have noticed.

II really do hope that you will consider trying again as I am very confident that we can provide you with the same experience and level of comfort that a majority of our guests are very willing to attest to.

best regards

166 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
  • Greek first
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 6 days ago NEW

We stayed here in July 2014 in a quad room. Room was large and the bathroom was updated. The beds were good to sleep in and the hotel is location in an excellent central location so you can walk everywhere which was great. We had a car so the hotel were able to organise garage parking for the 3 days we were in florence. As it is situated in Piazza della Republicca, at night it is pretty loud. One of the restaurants played load music till early hours of the morning (we ended up having to buy ear plugs for my daughter who found it hard to sleep because of the noise). The breakfast was good (not extensive) but enough to fill you up until lunch. We would stay again because of the location and room standard (my daughter on the other hand may not agree). Staff were very friendly and happy to help.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

We stayed at Hotel Pendini for 2 nights during our Europe trip. It was a good choice of hotel for us, since it is very centrally located, and we could walk everywhere. Location was perfect.
It is in very impressive historical building!

Room are huge and spacious, we had our two kids with us, they had their own bed, still there was plenty of room. Washrooms were very clean, and amenities were good. We had room overlooking the square which was a cherry on the top.

Breakfast was very good, and had many options. Though considering the size of the hotel and number of the rooms, it gets very crowded in breakfast room. There are two ways to enter the breakfast room, so one could be sitting in the waiting area while people could be walking straight in the Breakfast room. Hotel should either increase that space, or probably have better way of managing the people waiting for the breakfast.

Internet access is through Facebook which is not good unless one has other fake account for such permissions. We do not like to disclose the information, but there is no option.

Considering the size and reputation of the hotel, there should be more amenities provided like : Bar, Safe, Complimentary water.

One key is really impractical, as due to this reason, we always had to drag full family out and in.

Overall the hotel is beautiful and good.

We enjoyed our stay, recommend this hotel to everyone if you need central location. If above mentioned points does not matter to you, then this is great option!

Room Tip: Take the room overlooking into the Square!
Calgary, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

The location of this hotel is wonderful and the rooms are spacious. We enjoyed the central location and it was not too busy. Breakfast was good. The staff was ok.

Unfortunately there are a number of small issues that added up to make this a hotel I could not recommend.

1. They only provide 1 key (2 guests). Because they utilize a system where you need to keep a key in the slot to have electricity on, this meant we could not charge our phones, cameras etc except at night. As we were in Florence and booked to enjoy many amazing things, this meant we often did not have enough time to properly charge things (we needed an adapter).

2. The wifi they provide requires that you log in using your Facebook, Google or other personal account. This also means that you agree to allow them to view all your contacts, likes, or other personal information. I have a dummy account for these types of requests but my teenage daughter does not and promptly logged in. There is NO need for the hotel to collect this private information and is, in my opinion, an invasion of privacy.

3. This was the only hotel in our 3 week journey to Europe that did not provide a small bar fridge. Another guest notified me when I was arriving and told me he was requesting a move but his room would cost more!

4. Finally, and ultimately the deal breaker, we searched high and low but could not find a safe in our room.

The overall impression I have is that this hotel, while being central, reasonably large and providing good breakfast, has some serious deficits. I am sure I could find equivalent accommodation in Florence with those few extra, thoughtful items mentioned above and without the invasion of privacy. The hotel does not seem to be focused on an easy, worry free stay for their guests.

dear Guest

thank you for choosing the Hotel Pendini for your visit of Florence.

We apologize to learn that your stay with us has not been fully satisfactory.
the hotel Pendini has recently completed a renovation which has involed a all departments of the hotel including new air conditioning system new bathrooms and new public areas.
in the next few month we will complete also the furniture of the rooms including safe and minibar.

for the internet connection our system requires you provide your email but you can altenatively use anothor method whic h is available at the reception together with of a wide range of adaptors. the red electrical socket available in every room is set on purpose to charge devices and receives always electricity whenever you leave the room and remove the key from the slot.
the staff at our reception are always at disposal for any information you may require to make your stay in Florence and at the Pendini a very enjoyable one.

best wishes
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

A very charming hotel with a rich 100+ year history. We enjoyed looking at the many photographs of the hotel over the past decades. We loved the proximity to restaurants, shops, railway station and Ponte Vecchio. Rooms were very small but comfortable. Ours overlooked a courtyard. The hotel itself had a large family/sitting room, adjacent to the breakfast room, which everyone could enjoy. Breakfast was lovely with many choices, hot and cold meats, eggs, croissants, fresh fruit and a delicious italian breakfast cake baked fresh every morning. We were very impressed with the service staff who were very efficient, friendly and helpful. We even treated ourselves to high tea for 5 euro each which included a variety of tea and a selection of florentine biscotti. We travelled with our 2 sons (18 & 20) who were equally impressed with the hotel. We would definitely consider returning to Hotel Pendini when next in Florence.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

dear Guest,

I am delighted you enjoyed your recent stay with us, thank you for sharing your experience!

I hope we will now be your home away from home whenever in Town and I very much look forward to welcoming you back.

best wishes
Lucignano, Italy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Friendly and welcoming staff, perfectly comfortable room with nice linens and well appointed, spotless bathroom. Had a lovely drink in the sitting room, amiably attended to by Gerry. Breakfast was ample and delicious.

• Stayed August 2014
Queens, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I travelled alone in a big city and found the location to be perfect - centrally located to museums, shops, Ponte Vecchio & more. The staff was very friendly and quite helpful. Marco was on in the evenings; he was very helpful. The hotel is charming, clean & comfortable & reasonably priced. Your stay includes a breakfast with many choices. I would go back.

• Stayed August 2014
Dear Guest

I am thrilled you enjoyed your recent stay with us, thank you for choosing the Pendini

Word of mouth remains the truest and most powerful form of referral and your personal recommendation means the absolute world to us. Thank you so much for taking the time to tell others about our hotel and our service.

We look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Best wishes

Been to Hotel Pendini? Share your experiences!