“A very place to stay.” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 461 Hotels in Florence
Kidderminster, UK
“A very place to stay.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2010

If you are looking for a hotel in Florence that offers value and comfort but without the kinetic energy usually afforded a city centre location then Hotel David fits the bill. Before arrival the booking process was easy, considerate and amiable and my emailed questions in the run up to arrival were answered swiftly and fully. This is a hotel with customer service at it's heart.

When my wife and I have city breaks we look for a base to rest our weary heads at the end of a long, exhausting day. Somewhere clean. Somewhere well connected and most importantly somewhere nice to live for 4 days. Hotel David certainly lived up to these expectations.

Getting to the hotel by taxi from Florence airport was no problem and cost the advertised 20 Euros. We were greeted with smiles and a cheerful welcome. Our first impression was that we had arrived somewhere very homely and comfortable. The lounge area just off reception was furnished with extremely comfortable sofas and provided a lot of useful literature: magazines, travel guides, newspapers and also internet access.

Our room followed a similar theme; very spacious and light, extremely clean and amazingly well appointed. In fact I've been to 5* hotels that weren't as well appointed. I'd also recommend the local red wine served in your room on arrival it certainly made light work of unpacking!

We didn't really make use of all of the hotel facilities but they were certainly there and easy to use: relax room, terrace, happy hour, free parking, free calls and internet. The free Wi-Fi was fast and reliable and it was easy to connect to my iPhone. The free room minibar was also very useful and well stocked. All proof that the hotel was keen to go above and beyond what to expect in a 3* hotel.

Most days were spent treading the well worn paths around central Florence but the location of Hotel David provided opportunities to make discoveries all on your own. In particular we would recommend Piazalle Michelangelo with it's magnificent views, San Miniato al Monte which is worth the steep trek up hill, the beautiful Boboli Gardens and a relaxing walk along the River Arno towards Ponte Vecchio. Walking into central Florence takes about 15-20 minutes but can feel double that after a long day exploring. We used the public transportation system which we found very cheap and very easy to use. It helps to have a few words of Italian in your arsenal but generally a good map and a smile will suffice. Tickets for the bus can be purchased at Hotel David or the café next door. The bus stop outside Hotel David runs directly to the central train station and we became so comfortable with public transport that one afternoon we caught the train to Pisa to visit the leaning tower.

Another important aspect of the location is the café next door, part café, part bar, part patisserie, all part of the Italian experience. I enjoyed a beautiful Espresso most mornings at the bar with locals who amused themselves at my pigeon-Italiano but more importantly welcomed me into their daily routine. The day usually ended with a Peroni and a cake sat outside giving our aching legs and feet the break they deserved.

It is hard to fault Hotel David but the only aspect that stands out as below par was the breakfast; under appointed and under staffed this small room felt like an afterthought when it clearly isn't. The tiny plates and hard-to-find cutlery was just a little odd. Having said that the breakfast was adequate and kept us going until lunchtime. And I am being overly critical.

To summarise don't go to Hotel David expecting a central residence with all of the bland monotony usually associated with the box rooms of a chain hotel. This is a manor house with character, it is a guest house rather than a hotel but it makes so much effort it is hard not to classify it as anything less than a very fine place to stay.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
HDavid, Owner at Hotel David, responded to this review, November 8, 2010
Dear Guest,

I thank you for your long post, I'm so happy you understood our way of welcoming our Guests and you loved it! All the Staff is doing it's best to provide quality information for our Guest to help them to fully enjoy their vacation doesn't metter if it's for 1 night or more!
Next time you decide to escape from your rutine here we are!

Gabriele Cecioni

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (263)
Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2010

My parents and I booked a 5-night stay at Hotel David in Florence. We chose this hotel primarily due to the reviews on TripAdvisor and we were not disappointed. The staff are exceptional and the rooms are quiet spacious.

The happy hour every afternoon out in the garden was spectacular. Such a nice touch and a great way to unwind after your day. We also really enjoyed the free internet access and 10 minute phone call back to the states each day.

Taking the local bus over to the Ponte Vecchio was a breeze -- a short walk from the hotel to pick up the bus. I would recommend this option to anyone visiting Hotel David as it was a great way to get over to the main downtown area of Florence.

Lastly, I cannot say enough about a local Tratorria that the staff recommended to us-- Gigi's. A short walk from the hotel and the food is out of this world. I recommend the Tagliatelle Bolognese. We visited Gigi's nearly every night for dinner during our 5 night stay.

A top notch hotel in an amazing city!!

Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
Sydney
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2010

The first thing readers should know about Hotel David is that it is more of a guest house rather than a 'hotel' as such. So our room was spacious and comfortable but rather 'quaint' rather than state of the art or stylish. The bathroom with dreaded shower curtain and quirky bath mat was perfectly adequate but perhaps needs an update. Sadly, there was no kettle or tea-making facilities in our room.

Having made those slightly negative observations, we really enjoyed our stay and Hotel David deserves the high ratings that it attracts. We found the location a real bonus and enjoyed the local bars and restaurants and the walk along the river to the centre. The staff were excellent -- all (day) staff spoke excellent English and were extremely friendly and helpful. The little things like the free happy hour (with generous snacks), free bar fridge extras, free wifi, and the laundry room really set this establishment apart from most others. And what a terrific idea to offer a range of travel guides to consult. Breakfast was delicious (varied and generous) and the waiting staff very friendly and helpful.

We really enjoyed our stay and commend the establishment for their terrific customer service.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
HDavid, Owner at Hotel David, responded to this review, November 3, 2010
Dear Guest,

I thank you for your advices we have already sheduled the upgrade of the last 2 bathrooms we will take the shower curtain off and replace with new glass boxes. We provide free tea and coffee facilities in the relax room but we don't have them in each room despite we are thinking about and probably it will be available for the season 2011 it will be for free but upon request by the time you place the reservation.
I'm so happy you had good time with us and I'm sure you will be back some day and we will be at your disposal!

Portland, Maine
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2010

My 19-year-old son and I (55) stayed in this hotel for 10 nights in August 2009. The hotel is small - it is a converted charming old villa in a neighborhood of old affluent residences. The room was rather small but adequate, It had a decent, clean bathroom, AC, and a balcony with a nice view. Free WiFi in rooms, free parking, mini bar, happy hour each afternoon (everyone seemed to love it). Good breakfast. The location is very convenient, near Arno river and not far from most sites (15 minutes walk to downtown). All staff members were helpful and very friendly. If I happen to go to Florence again, I certainly will choose this hotel.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
HDavid, Owner at Hotel David, responded to this review, November 8, 2010
Dear Guest,

I'm glad you carry good memories about your stay in Florence after so long time, I read you took advantage of our freebies but you missed the 2010 ones like the relax room and the self chatering terrace!
We will be at your disposal anytime you decide to come back to Florence.

Maine
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2010

I recently stayed at Hotel David, having booked based on all the glowing reviews here on TA. This lovely little hotel lived up to the praise. I stayed in Room 22 (see photos), which looks out over the courtyard area and some neighbors' lawns. It was comfortable and quiet - I'm a very light sleeper, so I did use earplugs for the occasional passing ambulance, etc and had no problems. The hotel has beautiful accents that make it feel like a Tuscan guest house, but includes all the amenities of a modern hotel like ensuite bathroom, shower, AC, wake-up calls, Internet. The happy hour and breakfast room were great places to connect with other travelers. I was traveling alone and found the neighborhood very safe; I walked to several neighborhood trattorias at night for dinner (another plus for staying out of the touristy areas - I too recommend Trattoria GiGi!) And yes, it's a 15 minute walk to the city center, but if you're not ready to do a LOT of walking in Florence, you didn't plan well!
What sets this hotel apart is the service - Sabrina, Chiara and all the staff were friendly, efficient and very helpful with restaurant recommendations, bus schedules, and even found me a softer pillow! When I arrived early on a rainy morning, they showed me to the Relax Room where I had a hot cup of tea, and then came to find me to let me know that my room was ready and I could check in early.
I would highly recommend staying at this graceful hotel, it will certainly enhance your Florentine experience!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo
HDavid, Owner at Hotel David, responded to this review, October 29, 2010
Dear Madam,

I thank you for coming to stay with us I'm so happy you keep good memories about your stay. I'm glad you liked the new room we have done and you appreciate our efforts to give you all the facilities you need to make your stay as pleasent as possible!

washington dc
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2010

Sure, Florence is overrun with tourists and can be a bit much, but it is worth putting up the the crowds and lines just to stay at the Hotel David. The staff was friendly, the place was lovely, even the shower was great. It is (thankfully, in my opinion) not right in the center but a lovely short walk along the Arno to all the sites. They have a great breakfast and a lovely happy hour with good wine and fine food as well. Best place I have ever stayed in Italy. It is wonderful!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
HDavid, Owner at Hotel David, responded to this review, October 27, 2010
Dear Guest,

I'm so happy you liked our location and you had good time with us I'm sure you will be back some time and we will be here.

New York City, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2010

This is my first negative review on this site. After coming from a wonderful La Canonica di Fungaia in Tuscony (see my review), I am very surprised at the high rating of the Hotel David on this site.

At best, the amenities are poor, and at worst the night staff is rude.

First, I am not talking about all staff members. I believe this lady’s name is Gabriella, I only got it over the phone after the incident, and by providing her description, so I am not sure of the name. She is the only person there over 60 yrs of age (my guess) and she runs the place late night, hence the title of my review. To say that she’s generally not friendly, would be an understatement. She’s like one of those cranky shopkeepers who get mad at a customer for requesting their service.

During our last night stay, we realized that we’d have to leave much earlier than we planned, at about 3 AM. To be on time, we needed help ordering a taxi, helping us get a train schedule to Venice and printing boarding passes. We were told by the day staff that only one of their computers was able to print, but that they would allow us to use that computer if we needed to print. We heard them say it to other guests as well.

When we asked for Gabriella’s help, she said that she didn’t know how to use the computer which prints and she couldn’t let us print the boarding passes because we could “put a bomb” in the computer. She was willing to order a taxi, but didn’t know anything about train schedules. She ended by saying that we should have planned better. Thanks, lady!

Besides the fact that she was unhelpful and rude, she was also extremely ignorant to make her bomb comment, even if the hotel didn’t know that my husband is a doctor and was there for an international conference, which they did.

As to the amenities: the shower curtain was short, so the water dripped to the floor with your every move; the bidet was missing a faucet, thus could only function as a tub (it those who wished to risk their health wanted to use it that way); the towels were worn out, and only one per person, and since there was no heat in the room, your towels were still wet in the morning if you took a shower at night. We did have a lovely balcony, and the day staff was very friendly.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
HDavid, Owner at Hotel David, responded to this review, October 26, 2010
Dear Guest,

This is the first review after 20 July 2009 with a score of 2 of 5! I delieve we cannot make any better. I apologize if Gabriella was not polite as she should have been and because was not able to provide what you needed; on the other side very unlikely you realized at 3 o'clock in the morning that you had to leave and if you had come at the reception at the time you realized you had to leave it would have helped her and yourselfs!
There is one thing we can do to learn something from our mistakes: we have already organized, for those who do everything at the last second, an sos internet corner with printer available h 24 to avoid any furure problems!!

Gabriele Cecioni

Been to Hotel David? Share your experiences!