“Perfect honeymoon hotel!!!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 460 Hotels in Florence
Daegu, South Korea
“Perfect honeymoon hotel!!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2010

My husband and I stayed at the Hotel David on the second leg of our European honeymoon. It was by far the greatest hotel of the trip. The staff was WONDERFUL, the room was BEAUTIFUL, and the breakfast was EXCEPTIONAL. I was pleasantly surprised by the home-made breakfast dishes. The happy hour was a wonderful break from sightseeing during the day time. We were able to look through our pictures and chat with other guests, feeling refreshed and ready for our evenings out. The staff took great care to make us feel relaxed and welcome. We were greeted with delicious prosecco, beautiful strawberries, and a very kind note from the staff wishing us a pleasant stay and a great honeymoon in Florence. When we grabbed a cab at the train station and told him Hotel David, he started raving about the hotel and told us that we made the best choice in hotels. We wanted to eat dinner at a restaurant that I went to a few years back, but I could not remember the name of it or remember where it was. When we showed the staff a picture of it, he knew what we were talking about. He made reservations for us and wrote out exactly how we could get to the restaurant. My husband and I travel often and are still blown away by our experience at the Hotel David. We will ABSOLUTELY be staying here every time we return to Florence. Can't wait!!!!

• Stayed December 2007, traveled as a couple
HDavid, Owner at Hotel David, responded to this review, March 6, 2010
Dear Guests,

Thank you for your words of appreciation we are so happy you had good time in Florence and at the David. I have red you liked our home made dishes and I have to say we are very proud of that and we see that people do appreciate! Now that you know the way.............

Gabriele Cecioni

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (276)
  • Korean first
Birmingham, Alabama
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2010

My wife and I both commented on how when we return to Florence, we are definitely staying at Hotel David. I don't think there are words to describe how truly wonderful it was to stay there. As in the title of the post, it is so much more than a place to stay. On multiple evenings, we stayed up late chatting with other guests and with the wonderful staff. All of the staff are genuine, friendly, and give advice based on their love for Florence. Unlike many hotels, they do not receive commissions for sending people to their restaurants, so their recommendations can be trusted.

Rooms:
Our room was beautiful, and we were excited to have a real Queen size (canopy no less) bed instead of the 2 twins pushed together like you get at most places. See photos below. The bathroom was not updated but had everything we needed.

The food at the breakfast buffet was the best breakfast food that we had on our entire trip (which included Paris and Rome). The fridge in the room comes stocked, and everything in it is free. There are two computers in the lobby for use, and there is free wireless access that they even customized to work for our iPhones. They allow a free phone call to anywhere in the world per day, and it was fun to call the family from Italy. There is a daily happy hour with wine, juices, bread, dips, crackers, candy, and other nice snacks.

Other:
There is usually a special running - just ask. The common ones are a free lunch at a local restaurant they have chosen for you (excellent food) or reimbursement of a museum ticket of your choice. This is the one we used since Florence does not have a pass like Rome (Roma pass), and the museums are all very expensive. If you do this, I would recommend using it for the Academia or Uffizi gallery. The only negative is that it is not in the main town center and is a good 20 minute walk to all the main sites. This is shorter by bus, but if you have ever used the Italian bus system, then you know this can be an adventure.

Overall, this is probably the favorite hotel we have ever stayed in on any of our trips all around the globe just because of the overall experience. Highly recommended!

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
HDavid, Owner at Hotel David, responded to this review, February 24, 2010
Dear Guest,

I thank you for your post on this traveler community I'm glad you are so positive about your trip to Firenze and about your us. Thank you also for posting your photos........
Next time you decide to come to Firenze we will be here!!

The Woodlands, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2010

Me and my mom went on a trip together this summer to Italy. I made all the plans so I was very nervous about my choices, but I was not let down. My mom was so happy with the Hotel David. It was beautiful and our room so spacious and cozy. The staff was helpful and spoke perfect english. Our room was so cute and the balcony was awesome. There were drinks and snacks in the room and it had a TV, a luxury we did not have in our room in Rome. They had a wonderful breakfast each morning and Happy hour was a perfect time to snack and rest before heading off for dinner. The staff gave us wonderful restaurant activities and even mailed off our post cards free of cost. I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone. And on a side note. When visiting Florence, you must try Trattoria de Fagioli's and I make have totally messed up that name, as I can's quite remember if thats right, but it is one that the hotel suggests so they should be able to help you. It was the best food we had in all of Italy during our stay of two weeks. You must eat there it is amazing!!! Also try Grom and Gellateria de Neri(excuse spelliing) for Gelato. Some of the best in Italy. The mango is wonderful. Feel free to message me with questions.

• Stayed June 2009
HDavid, Owner at Hotel David, responded to this review, February 1, 2010
Dear Guest,

I remember you!! I'm glad you had good time with us and you liked the room with the balcony we gave you. Thank you for posting the photos we will probably use them in our new Guest foto galley!!

See you back to Firenze!!

Perth
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2010

My family of 5 including 3 daughters under 13 had a wonderful stay at this warm friendly and very welcoming hotel. We where there around christmas and there was a huge christmas tree in the hotel lounge. The hotel has many inviting features including a happy hour, free broadband and a wonderful breakfast in a beautiful dining area. This was all supported with friendly and capable staff who showed genuine concern for us in ensuring we had a great stay. Our room was comfortable and well appointed and provided a welcome relief at the end of the day of exploring Florence. I would recommend this hotel for anyone who would like a stay where they feel part of the family and not just a guest in a convenient location in Florence.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

Feeling to be at home is not a marketing strategy but is simply the atmosphere that you feel entering the Hotel probably because all the Staff spends long hours here and has to be like home!

We remind our Guest that we are 15 minutes walk to the city center Ponte Vecchio (3 minutes by bus) and we have the new Ape Calessino special convertible shuttle car (from April to October) available for a non walkers lovers!!

Edinburgh,Scotland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2010

I have never been happier staying in a hotel than I was in Hotel David. They just do everything right. The reception rooms are lovely and our room was big, spacious and with furniture to match the building and you can't go wrong with a 15 ft ceiling! The double glazing is excellent so there was no street noise. Everything beautifully clean and a lovely breakfast. Best of all was the so,so helpful staff, everyone of them so good at what they did and thank you Chiara for finding a very nice restaurant for New Year's eve. Then there was the happy hour with nibbles and wine and the internet and the other services. Ok for some people this might not be central enough but it is only a 15 minute walk and the bus stop is just outside. If you are walking to town remember to look over the wall just beyond the bridge as you could see a kingfisher!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your words of appreciation all the rooms that give to the garden have double windows to provide quiet sleeps to everyone and the good size of the rooms give you the idea to be in a old villa than in an Hotel!!

See you next time you plan a trip to Firenze!!

Jakarta, Indonesia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2010

For comfort, location, and helpful staff, Hotel David is hard to beat. The old building and large rooms have charm, parking is easy, access to the hotel by road is not difficult (if you avoid the old city center), and the major cultural attractions of Florence are a short walk along the river away. Staff was really exceptionally helpful in every way.

The only shortcoming we noted was inadequate breakfast facilities. The hotel was full, and at times it was easier to get a pastry at the cafe next door than to find a seat in the small dining room for breakfast.

We walked back and forth to town many times. The river front offers nice views and an easy way to walk into town. The Ponte Vecchio is about 20 minutes by foot, as is the Uffizi.

Driving out of town into the Tuscan countryside and returning are relatively easy with some guidance from the hotel staff. You can be in Greve in Chianti in about an hour, and the country roads are fun to drive with endlessly enchanting views.

We are looking forward to our next visit to Florence, and will certainly stay again at the David.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

You are right our location is good to do almost everything: we are close enought to explore the city center by foot, we are on the way to explore the Chianti area by car and we are 10-15 minutes drive to highway access.

To be honest I noticed that since we have upgraded our breakfast our Guests stay much longer ih the breakfastroom than befere and this may cause sometimes the inconvenince you were noticing. I'm working on this and I'm sure it will be ok for the season coming.

Barnsley
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2010

Having already stayed at this hotel before, we were already aware of the great, out of town location, that was (for us anyway) within walking distance of all the sights of Florence. We also knew that the staff were incredibly helpful and friendly, and that the hotel aways maintained a high standard of cleanliness. Once again, these points were reinforced when my wife and I stayed at this hotel in October 2009. The staff made us very welcome, even remembering us from our previous visits. When I pointed out that we had returned to Hotel David to celebrate a landmark birthday for my wife, the hotel presented her with a complimentary bottle of wine on the day-a very nice touch. The breakfast was very good, although a lot of it was unacceptable to me since I follow a strict gluten-free diet. When I brought this to the attention of the staff, they proceeded to provide suitable alternatives which were acceptable, without any hesitation, so both of us were able to enjoy a more-than-adequate breakfast every day. The same applied to the early evening nibbles provided by the hotel. Every evening around 7pm there was a self service buffet of various snacks, with complimentary wine and fruit juice. Once again, the staff were able to provide me with suitable gluten free food so I could enjoy the buffet too. I was really pleased with this. The hotel staff also printed off a list of gluten free restaurants in the centre, and gave me directions too, so I could eat out safely. Wonderful. Shame we had to leave. I will definitely stay at this hotel again, and would recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Everytime you come back to the David there is something new: all our room are different and our services are upgraded every year; it happens like in your experience that at your check in you are recognized as a regular customer because it's normal to remember the people here!
We provide since last year gluten-free food for our Guests it better under request but as in your experience we always have some available at the Hotel!!

See you next time then!

Gabriele Cecioni

Been to Hotel David? Share your experiences!