“April Travels” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 461 Hotels in Florence
Langley, Washington
“April Travels”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2013

Hotel staff was wonderful, from the greetings when we arrived, to giving us extra water when we left. 4 poster bed was like heaven, and everything in room was immaculate. Breakfasts are great, and the afternoon wine and cheese offerings are a welcome respite after a days touring in Florence. We will definitely come back, and recommend to all savvy travelers.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
HDavid, Owner at Hotel David, responded to this review, May 23, 2013
Dear Guest,

I thank you for choosing to stay for your vacation here at Hotel David we are happy you had good time with us and we wait for you next time you decide to come to visit Florence!
Gabriele Ceioni

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (262)
Huntingtown, MD
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

We just got back from an 18 day trip to Italy. I found all of my hotels on TripAdvisor and we were happy with them all but Hotel David just stands out in my mind for their wonderful, friendly service. One other hotel, Hotel al Codega (in Venice) had service that was just as attentive, but I guess the casual demeanor of the staff at Hotel David was more appealing to me so this hotel gets the top spot on my list of hotels for this trip.

As others have mentioned, the staff is just wonderful at Hotel David. I had messed up my reservations at two of the hotels. I'd made the reservations a year in advance and my records at home got messed up and we arrived at Hotel David a day early. When we arrived, the desk staff was looking through binders of emails etc looking for record of our reservation. It was making us really nervous but then they found the messages and we saw that it was my mistake that we were a day early. Luckily, they had a room and were able to accommodate us.

As you can see if you look through the pictures that reviewers have posted, each room is a bit different. Apparently, the room that they'd reserved for us was a bit nicer than the room available when we got there and they offered to let us stay one night in the first room and then move. I wanted to unpack and get settled in without another move, so I didn't take advantage of the offer, but I thought it was going above board for them to even suggest it.

The next day we were going to the Accademia at 8:30 in the morning, right as they opened. It was raining so we wanted to take the bus rather than walking. We couldn't quite understand where the bus stop was, so Micael just dropped what he was doing and walked us over to the stop. Again, a very service oriented touch.

They fill your honor bar fridge with sodas, bottled water and juices and the first fillup is FREE. There is no alcohol in your room fridge but on the first floor they have a real honor bar setup with bottles of beer, prosecco, wine etc. You just fill out a slip listing what you've taken and give it to the staff at the reception desk and they add it to your room charge. In this little bar area, they also leave out sliced cakes left from breakfast, appetizers from the happy hour, etc. and you can take these for free.

The wine wasn't great at the happy hour but they have carafes and carafes of it, along with a table full of various appetizers. Normally, we leave a hotel in the morning and don't come back until 10 or so at night when we are ready to drop. We made a point of stopping twice for the happy hour and really enjoyed meeting and talking with our fellow travelers. It was a nice touch.

Breakfast is good as well. In a lot of places in Italy "American coffee" is nothing more than espresso with extra water and doesn't really taste "right" at all. I think Hotel David must have a real percolator/drip coffee machine because this tasted like what we expected. Breakfast had two types of eggs, ham/bacon, wonderful fresh fruit salads, and breakfast cakes. If the weather is nice, they have outdoor seating available.

Another wonderful touch that I've never seen in ANY other hotel is that they allow you to use their reception phone for a free 10 minute (not that they really time you) call home each day. We called a different family member each day and that was really fun.

The hotel is in a great location, if you're comfortable with a bit of walking. It's not right in the middle of the touristy part of Florence – which I prefer because it's quieter with less hustle-bustle. It took us about 20 minutes each morning to walk down the river and over one of the bridges to the sights. If you're not so comfortable with a lot of walking, there are two bus stops right by the hotel that will take you into the tourist section.

I don't think I've ever felt more welcome in any hotel. I'd recommend this hotel without any reservations whatsoever. I hope to go back to Italy again next year. If we decide to go to Florence again, I will DEFINITELY stay at Hotel David.

HDavid, Owner at Hotel David, responded to this review, May 23, 2013
Dear Guest,

I remember you, we had a nightmare for 5 minutes but ended up well......We all thank you for making the reservation so in advance and we understand that it's hard to keep notice of all reservation for a long trip...but at the end everything was ok!
See you next time then!
Collingswood, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2013 via mobile

We did not review the hotel David before now because I think we did not want to admit that we had left. We arrived on a rather cool day at the beginning of December 2012 .

My wife and I had never been to Europe staying in one city for one week. We were greeted with absolute professionalism and absolute sincerity. Our room overlooked the River Arno and the medieval and Renaissance reality of the hotel that is not quite in the center of the city, but is actually placed on the city walls . The hotel David is on the San Nicollo neighborhood at the far end of the border between there and piazza Michelangelo.

We found the Pontevecchio walk was about 15 minutes. Walk to the Duomo is about 25 minutes. We found the taxi drive to those areas is less than 3 minutes and the price was less than 5 euros.
The neighborhood is full of trattorias and the sweet Wine Bar, Which we particularly recommend.

Naturally, the recommendation of the hotel David has to do with the actual place and the worwondeful staff. We believe that we have never been treated as well, or as humanely, as by Chiara very warm staff of the hotel David.

The neighborhood itself is filled with lovely local restaurants some recommended by the hotel David some that we found on our strolls on the Rainy Streets where we found farmacias as well as reasonable places to purchase local clothes, local groceries, and the basic sense of a residential neighborhood.

I do not believe, especially if you are a traveler accustomed to doing it yourself, that you will feel is well treated as if the hotel David. You can be an independent traveler there, but you will also find a warm American /English Breakfast , the happy hour where you can meet with your fellow travelers from all different countries in all different classes and types, as well as a home away from home ;where you can decorate the Christmas tree, check out your e mail and breathe deeply and sit back and think about the day you had in Florence.
All of this can be done while sipping aperitifs, sharing experiences with your fellow travelers, and realizing that you can live life as a slower pace men who have ever considered.

The hotel David has been one of the few places in this world where we can say this is possible. We are so fortunate to have found it, and that's when they said they were sold out, that they had room for us when they heard our story of desire for real Tuscan experience.

By staying at the Hotel David, our trip to Florence and our trip to Europe became a trip home.

HDavid, Owner at Hotel David, responded to this review, May 22, 2013
Dear Guest,

It's not the fist time that Guests don't want to leave ones here......and this makes all of us happy to be able to live this wonderful experience together with you all!
We realized that it's the Guests, together with us, who make the place special and magic and it's something you have to feel it's difficult to explain but this is the way it is....
Rochester, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

Hotel David was the most wonderful experience that we have had in staying at hotels all over the world. The staff was friendly, helpful and extremely attentive to our every need. The owner greeted us and took us on a tour of his home and property and made us feel very welcome.
When you walk in to this hotel there is a very special feeling that you have found a home away from home. Thanks Gabriel for a wonderful experience...wished we could have stayed longer.

HDavid, Owner at Hotel David, responded to this review, May 22, 2013
Dear Guest,

Best place ever.....I like this! Nice to see that this place can be special even if it is only a nice hotel....discover yourself!
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2013

It feels like home that's what makes this number 1. The hotel is very comfortable, has good sized rooms and bathrooms, is spotlessly clean, great sitting room, happy hour (free drinks and nibbles), breakfast, great coffee and the lovely cakes but most importantly, the wonderful staff.
We had an unexpected extended stay due to a medical emergency and the management and staff at this hotel were second to none in helping us with translation and anything and everything that was asked of them. They accommodated us at every turn. The lovely Chiara and Vittoria, the ever helpful Micael, the breakfast room staff, the cleaning staff and manager Gabriele all deserve praise for their attitude and helpfulness.
We hope to come back one day and enjoy your beautiful city and wonderfulhospitality again but without all the hassles we had this time.
Gabriele, you run a friendly and professional establishment and it's a credit to you and your staff.
We can't thank you enough for everything you did for us. You deserved to be number 1 in Florence.

Room Tip: Room 6 - big room for family and quiet. No. 1 for it's great bathroom and big comfortable four...