“Beautiful hotel and amazing staff and services” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Package Deal
Ranked #1 of 459 hotels in Florence
Frederick, Maryland
“Beautiful hotel and amazing staff and services”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

We absolutely loved the Hotel David. The entire hotel is very clean and beautifully decorated. Every morning a huge breakfast is laid out to suit everyone's tastes and in the evening they have a free happy hour with snacks and wine. The also offer other drinks in their self service bar for reasonable prices. The staff was very helpful with restaurant recommendations and reservations and also with giving directions. It's just a small walk to all the sites and you can also use the bus system. Everything was perfect about this place!

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the top floor.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
HDavid, Owner at Hotel David, responded to this review, April 8, 2013
Dear Guest,

I thank you for your review I'm so happy you had good time with us and you loved our way to welcome our Guests, we wait for you next time as a repeter Guest!

1,703 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (186)
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

Hotel David was a choice that turned out to be a home run. We walked to all the attractions in Florence with no problem. Plenty of restaurants nearby as well. The accommodations and staff were thoroughly pleasant. We stayed at seven hotels on our trip and they were all quite good but both my wife and I agreed Hotel David was our favorite. They served a complete breakfast every morning and the evening "happy hour" was a most congenial atmosphere with excellent snacks and wine. Our room was beautiful, furnishings and bathroom top notch. The folks at the desk, the young man serving breakfast, all were very cordial and informative.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
HDavid, Owner at Hotel David, responded to this review, April 5, 2013
Dear Guest,

I'm so happy you carry back home good memories of your trip to Florence and also to be your n.1 hotel makes me very honored to be able to welcome you!
East Coast, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

Husband and I went to Italy for our Honeymoon and Hotel David was our hotel for our entire stay in Florence (3 days). We stayed here based on reviews and it did NOT dissapoint! This is some distance from the city center but the weather was gorgeous and we didn't mind the morning or evening walks or taking a taxi when time was a concern!

Our favorite part of this hotel was the evening happy hour with all the guests in the hotel. Wine and snacks before heading out on the town was perfect and was a greaty way to meet other guests and travelers! We actually got a dinner reccomendations, site seeing advice, etc. during these social times with other guests--perfect!

The staff was also very helpful in answering questions, providing maps, making suggestionst, etc! Overall we had a nice experience and wouldn't hesitate to return.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
HDavid, Owner at Hotel David, responded to this review, April 4, 2013
Dear Guest,

I thank you for trusting us and coming to stay with us for a so special event! Already planning to return for your anniversary!

Oxford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

We stayed in room 29 for 7 days - Hotel was everything we wanted. Quiet, excellent breakfasts, very clean [possibly embarrasingly so for someone as basically untidy as me] - Also it is situated alongside the river and thus no problems with walking into the centre daily. Easy access via steps to the Piazza Michaelangelo and the two old churches adjacent to that Piazza.
More importantly, my partner's passport was stolen whilst away from Florence on a day trip and only discovered late at night on the final night. The hotel reception staff could not have been more helpful with practical help and advice - arranging taxis, phoning the carabinieri, allowing us to use their phone to contact the embassy/airlines etc. Whilst obviously an unwanted experience, the hotel staff helped us to overcome the problems and made us feel welcomed [almost family] guests. For me, this would be the only place in Florence I would want to stay in, in future.

Room Tip: I can only speak of Room 29 - Double en-suite, quiet, comfortable, clean - we had a full free mini-b...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
HDavid, Owner at Hotel David, responded to this review, April 1, 2013
Dear Guest,

I thank you coming to stay with us, we remember you for sure and I hope you ended up with no problem! See you soon....with your new passport!
Evanston, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013 via mobile

Just left the Hotel David after a 4 night stay. Booked it based on the reviews in Trip Advisor. I admit I was a little concerned with the location, and the distance from the city center. Overall we were pleased with the value and the wonderful service. The free breakfast was certainly not the best we've had. I was surprised there was canned fruit, not fresh as we had in all our other hotels in Italy. None of my family drinks wine and I think the happy hour may have inflated the rating for this hotel. The staff is wonderful and it is a very good hotel, I just don't understand why it is ranked number one. We used the hotel as a base for a day trip to Venice. We took advantage of the D bus, for the trip to the train station and for the trips to Ponte Vecchio, but we always ended up taking a taxi back to the hotel, due to being tired and the rainy weather. If I come back to Florence I would try to stay closer to the city center. The beds were rather hard and not the most comfortable. There was no temperature control in the room and it was cold until the central heat kicked on.

• Stayed March 2013
HDavid, Owner at Hotel David, responded to this review, April 1, 2013
Dear Guest,

Doing this job you learn that despite you do your best there is always someone who is not 100% satisfied but this helps to improve when the criticisms is constructive!
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

Just got back from Florence and a wonderful stay at the Hotel David. Everything everyone says is true! Just adding a few notations from our visit. Should you want to be adventurous, you can take the "Downtown Shuttle" bus from the airport to the train station (SMN). RIGHT THERE (where the shuttle ends at the front of the station) is the D bus that will take you to within 1/4 block of the front of the hotel. Forgot the name of the stop (sorry) but you get out at the turnaround that is right next to the Pont alle grazie. At this point, this will cost about 8 euros/person, with the only dilemma is making sure you purchase the D bus ticket from the newspaper stand at the station. Cab is about 20; like I said, this is about adventure and not savings! There are also two nice restaurants within walking distance, the Osteria San Niccoli and the Hosteria Del Bricco. You can map them out- they are between the two bridges (San Nicole and Alle Grazie), and very pleasant. This hotel has figured out a lot about tourists- all to our benefit. The afternoon wine and snack break is both refreshing and a great way to meet fellow travellers. And the staff could not be nicer, more personable and more patient.

Room Tip: 312 had a nice little balcony with lemon trees!!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
HDavid, Owner at Hotel David, responded to this review, March 30, 2013
Dear Guest,

I'm very sorry you had to go for adventure and I still don't understand what had happened....
To resume for next adventure experences D line takes from Hotel David to SMN main train station and the cost of the ride is Euro 1.20 pp for 90 minutes pass for any bus.
The Staff of hotel David is at your disposal for any problem it might happen during your stay!
Colchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

Often I don't agree with Trip Advisor but you can truly believe the hype - we absolutely loved our stay at the Hotel David.

We had room 31 for 5 nights and it was amazing: lovely feature bed, our own sitting room and a beautiful terrace with great views and a large spotlessly clean bathroom with a great walk in shower.

I had pre ordered sparkling wine and strawberries as it was a 50th celebration and they were ready in our room (despite us being a little early) and beautifully presented plus they had added a cake which was a welcome surprise.

The hotel is a 20 minute walk into Florence but I definitely agree with those that think this is a bonus - there are lots of options if you don't want to walk (taxi rank and bus stops outside - even the hop on hop off site seeing bus stops close by) and having a day in Florence and then coming back and chilling out on the terrace before the fabulous happy hour - bliss. We met some lovely people and it was great to chat and share recommendations over a glass (or two) of wine and nibbles. There are some great restaurants nearby and reception are happy to make recommendations – we also loved strolling into Florence along the river.

The breakfast room is sunny and spotless – eggs and bacon, rolls, pastries, fruit, yogurts, cheese, ham and coffee either self service or made to order (always with a smile).
Finally, we really must highly praise all the staff. They couldn't have been more helpful and everyone always had a smile on their face - they could teach the five star hotels a thing or two about customer service. They always knew which key to give us without having to ask and they made us feel really special. Fantastic.

Along with the staff it is the little touches that make all the difference – happy hour, complimentary stocked minibar, computers and a free call each day. We would recommend this place in a second and have already done so to friends and family. We definitely intend to come back. Thanks for a wonderful stay.

Room Tip: Room 31 was awesome.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
HDavid, Owner at Hotel David, responded to this review, March 28, 2013
Dear Guest,

We thank you for coming to stay with us and I'm honored to read so many good words of appriciation we will always do our best to keep hotel David like this!

Gabriele Cecioni

Been to Hotel David? Share your experiences!