“As serene as the Mona Lisa herself!” 4 of 5 stars

You added Hotel Monna Lisa to your Saves list
Hotel Monna Lisa
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Borgo Pinti 27, 50121 Florence, Italy   |
Ranked #112 of 461 hotels in Florence
“As serene as the Mona Lisa herself!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013 via mobile

We were recommended this hotel by a friend and were not disappointed. Quaint and quirky in equal measure, the Mona Lisa smiles at you at every turn! Fabulous old building, traditional Italian decor and in some areas, yes a little modernisation wouldn't go amiss. However, the charm is that it is an old building and therefore you are prepared to overlook it!
Our room was cosy and warm - it was March and cold outside! The breakfast was varied and set you up for the day, well until coffee and cake beckoned! The staff were very helpful and friendly and the hotel is in a quiet location, not too far from the beautiful sites of Florence.

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
OSLAVIA16, Direttore at Hotel Monna Lisa, responded to this review, September 4, 2013
Dear Jane,

Thank you so much for your kind review.

Our Staff is very proud to read nice words about them.

Hope to see you back soon at Monna Lisa

Best Regards

The Manager

607 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
  • Greek first
Austria
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

The Monna Lisa is a hidden gem. Literally, you could walk right past it. The lobby excites you for what you are about to receive. I loved it, in fact the quaintness of this hotel was a factor in my decision to go to Florence. The staff were very welcoming and were polite professional and helpful throughout my stay. There are indeed some characters there who make the stay enjoyable.

The general presentation of the hotel is beautiful. So much character with tiny rooms leading to other quaint areas. There is lots of antiques and art which make fun of the hotels name sake and there is even a history available telling you the story of the building, (interesting to read). You can almost imagine yourself in an Agatha Christie novel. Clean and charming with a beautiful courtyard. In my opinion breakfast was limited with cold services only, but the staff are friendly. There is a bar and again the staff are a pleasure to spend time with. There is free wifi in the bar and lounge area but not in the rooms.

As for the location of the hotel it was quite central. I felt safe walking the streets but be aware, Florence is a lot of narrow roads with tall buildings which can look the same so ensure you have a good map when you are walking. A car in Florence is not ideal and really you do not need it. From the Monna Lisa it is only a short walk to places such as Piazza Duomo, S Maria, Ponte Vecchio, The Accademia, The Uffizi, in fact you can walk to everything. Wearing the right shoes!

As for my room at the Monna Lisa, I was in no.8. This was booked as a twin for one person, but I was in fact given a double bed which was excellent. Not a huge room but big enough for one. Double bed, desk, drawers and cupboard. The bathroom had a descent shower but it was a long and narrow room. Sit on the toilet and your knees are touching the wall in front which is great if youre resting your head when hungover. The fittings and decoration are lovely you really feel you have gone back in time. My room was not one of the pictures from the websites or brochure and was in danger of looking outdated rather than traditionally quaint. The lights in my room were so energy saving it was like they really could not be bothered, (they do eventually get bright though). The view from the large window was a lovely, quiet, large courtyard. I did not feel overlooked. There were plenty of hangers in the cupboard and a hairdryer which did the job but no full length mirror. The room was clean but there is only a tiny safe. There is a mini fridge. Unfortunately there were only two plugs in the room and when using an adapter it means you only end up with one plug. Also no tea/coffee facilities, plus they do not like people to use irons, (health and safety).

Overall I did actually love staying here. I was travelling alone but that really did not matter in this place. I would go back.

Oh and if your feet hurt after a long day the Accadi restaurant was only 100 paces away and quite tasty and friendly.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

The ML is in an old Palazzo (like everything else in this part of the world) crammed with stuff, including riffs on La Giaconda. Staff are professional and friendly, and the location is convenient to restaurants and close to the Duomo. We were lodged in a separate building back of the garden; quiet, though it might have been more fun in the main building. Reasons why I would stay here again: fun, good breakfast, good location. Cautionary notes: room was slightly down at heel, hotel was persistently overheated and the heat problem in our room was never addressed, staying on the ground floor back of the garden, even in March, we noticed mosquitos...and there are not screens.

Room Tip: The main building, and maybe up off the ground floor. From the website it looks like the swankier ro...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

My family spent two nights at the Hotel Monna Lisa this month. Highly recommended by Fodors, Trip Advisor and a very reputable travel agent, we were not impressed. The front desk staff was very cold and not helpful with restaurants or museum passes. Our rooms, in the annex, were small and the bathroom in dire need of an update. The wifi situation is ridiculous! 5 euro for a half hour to use it and was a race against the clock for my husband to do any work. The breakfast was ok, not great. The location is very good on a centrally located side street. The hotel bar is sweet and a nice place to tuck in for a cocktail before dinner. The old building is lovely, but a little too "shabby" chic and could use some tweaks. There are a lot of lovely small hotels in Florence, I just wish this one tried a little harder.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Russian Black Sea Coast, Russia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

Monna Lisa smokes and exposes her breast with a wink in the main lobby…..

Yes. All joking aside! Even though this is touted as a four star hotel, the 10 or more cliché ridden fading copies of Monna Lisa in the main sitting area are 1-star in classiness [Monna Lisa smoking cigarettes, exposing her breasts, winking vulgarly at you, etc]. Which is my point about this hotel, it is a very strange mix of old world elegance, kitschy vulgar ostentation, and slightly modern conveniences. For the price and for Florence, however, in the final analysis it is a pleasant stay to remember.

Borgo Pinti, the old long very narrow alleyway which bends into another alley of the nearby Teatro della Pergola, currently featuring Pirandello plays, is the location of Monna Lisa hotel, converted from a family estate compound that has traded hands three times since the 15th century. Now it is in the possession of the Ciardi Duprè family branch extension. Their hotel website claims them to be descendents of the sculptor born in nearby Siena, Giovanni Duprè, who died in 1882 and who has his own sculpture represented in the Hermitage of St. Petersburg and in the Palazzo Pitti of Florence, which I saw there while visiting. The oldest hospital in all Florence, still being used with an active emergency room, is five minutes by foot away on the same street. There are some Renaissance paintings still in the hospital complex, Ospedale di Santa Maria Nuouva [in Italian], founded in 1288 by the father of Dante’s love, Beatrice.

Some people have already written, that the front desk staff seem cold and restrained at first, and the bellhops and porters come across a little bit surly and in dire need of tips. But if you stay more than two days, they warm up to you, I found during my five day stay. Luigi is very responsive to questions, always. Actually, most of the front desk employees are helpful, albeit at first in a terse and tense manner. It seems to me they are a bit frightful of one of their boss's employees' regulations, somehow, and this cramps their style and spontaneity for a while!

The breakfast offering was less than average in satisfaction. The bread and pastries were bland and not tasty and they should find a new baker to supply them. The only two cold cut meats offered were quite average, and the same selection every morning, with no other choice. No omelets or scrambled eggs, just boiled eggs that were not replenished often enough, just like the one type of thin sliced salami offered and running out often on the buffet self serve table. The coffee I think was Folgers or some cafeteria discounted coffee grinds/beans, which tasted to me like metallic and bitter Folgers or Jacobs coffee, and not so much like zesty “woody” high grade Italian coffee. After the first morning I had to switch to tea, even though I wanted coffee. However, despite this, free newspapers are provided, in a few languages, and when they noticed how much I enjoyed the International Herald Tribune, they had a personal free copy of it under my door every morning at dawn!

The spacious breakfast room has some old world charm, with its centuries old furniture and manifested in a few of the small sculptures, and here and there, drawings or old paintings on the wall [along with copies]. For some reason alternative passageway entries and exits from the large room have been blocked off with very large potted plants in the way.

The exterior garden is pleasant to walk through even in winter. I could just imagine some of the flowers in bloom in warm weather, and sitting there for an hour reading my paper.

My room’s cable TV only had three working channels, but my significant other, my partner on this trip, told me we did not need TV and not to complain. When she fell asleep before me one night, I tried to find some BBC or something, even a movie, but mostly I found paid-viewing channels that were asking a lot of euros for the entire TV season of old popular series.

We enjoyed one rainy evening, after ten hours of walking, their free sparkling sudsy, house bubbling wine, awaiting our return, with their icon Monna Lisa smiling on the house bottle label at us to cheer us up with her indelicate humor.

The bathroom both delighted me and distressed me. A very cheap discount market triple shelf white plastic holding tray, was beside the sink and in the way of the door when you tried to close it. It was however, convenient to put our personal toiletries and belongings on the very small triangular three miniature levels, but this is the kind of plastic furnishing you would find in a college dormitory and not in a “four star” hotel. The Jacuzzi worked well and one day my new boots had been killing my feet after another 9 hours of much walking in the old streets, and the hot tub water and forceful vibrating and pulsating water, deeply soothed my feet and aching muscles.

Our view from the large balcony to our room was a broad panorama of the large extensive garden. It was a game of strategy in our five days, to try not to use their 15 euro per day wifi paid service, feeling we should have gotten such features for free. This took up too much of our holiday time, in the end upon reflection, we both agreed. So, add 8 euros to the daily price quoted, they charge you Florentine city tax for each day, and add another 15 euros for wifi privileges. Again, you must add this 23 euros to the daily price you think you should be paying, if you want to unwind by wifi and be paid-in-full at the end of our stay.

If you explore the entire hotel premises, it makes the hotel much more interesting. There are three main large buildings in the shape of a three sided rectangle, and the front desk building has a little antiquaria, reading room, up a spiral stone staircase, which indeed has some elegant feel to it, and I don’t think it is much used by guests. Here and there in the entire hotel is some proof of good taste, but another consciousness has also put their stamp on much of the hotel too, which shows a mercantile sense more than the pure joy of aesthetics in action.

I highly recommend the Trattoria nearby, Acquacotta, five minutes away, on a cross perpendicular street, for both lunch and dinner. Also, I think it is not fair to call the forlorn little 5 meter by 5 meter extension of one of the roofs, with two tired looking reclining chairs, a “solarium”. Better not to promote it and just let guests find it and use it like sunning in Central Park on a bench, without any fanfare.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Merrick, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

We stayed here during a trip to Florence this past summer. The hotel was very clean, the staff was very helpful, and the breakfast was great. It's a little bit of a walk to the center of the city, but other than that, the amenities are great. We stayed here for four nights and they were perfect. They even give you little slippers for your feet for walking around the room.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
OSLAVIA16, Direttore at Hotel Monna Lisa, responded to this review, February 17, 2013
Dear Adam,

Thank you so much for spending the time to write a comment about your stay with us.
We are delighted to read that our Staff have been helpful and we really appreciate that you will recommend  our Hotel to others.

Wishing to welcome you again at Hotel Monna Lisa, we send you our,

Best Regards
Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

My family and I had the pleasure of staying at the Hotel Monna Lisa during New Year's Eve in Florence. This was my 3rd visit to the hotel, and I must say that the Hotel Monna Lisa has retained its greatness.

The rooms are large and very comfortable, and the breakfast buffet is excellent. The front desk staff are always friendly and helpful, and the hotel's central location in Florence makes all the tourist attractions easily accessible by walking. There is also on-site parking available for a fee which is a rare occurence within Florence.

I would highly recommend this hotel for either business or leisure travelers. The Hotel Monna Lisa has not lost its allure over these many years.

Room Tip: The rooms in the newer section along the courtyard are a little bigger and newer although staying in...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

It was a pleasure to welcome you back at Hotel Monna Lisa.

As always having our guests back, it means that we did our work ''well done''.

We are absolutely enthusiast to deliver the right service to those choosing to stay with us.

After reading your comment our Staff have a wider smile now!

You are a great witness of our overall efforts and would welcome the opportunity to see you and your family soon back again to the Monna Lisa!

See You Back Soon

Best Regards to a Special ''Monna Lisa Family Guest'' as you

Been to Hotel Monna Lisa? Share your experiences!