“A Lot Going For It” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #87 of 463 Hotels in Florence
San Francisco, California
“A Lot Going For It”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

The ML is in an old Palazzo (like everything else in this part of the world) crammed with stuff, including riffs on La Giaconda. Staff are professional and friendly, and the location is convenient to restaurants and close to the Duomo. We were lodged in a separate building back of the garden; quiet, though it might have been more fun in the main building. Reasons why I would stay here again: fun, good breakfast, good location. Cautionary notes: room was slightly down at heel, hotel was persistently overheated and the heat problem in our room was never addressed, staying on the ground floor back of the garden, even in March, we noticed mosquitos...and there are not screens.

Room Tip: The main building, and maybe up off the ground floor. From the website it looks like the swankier ro...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (136)
  • Greek first
New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 26, 2013

My family spent two nights at the Hotel Monna Lisa this month. Highly recommended by Fodors, Trip Advisor and a very reputable travel agent, we were not impressed. The front desk staff was very cold and not helpful with restaurants or museum passes. Our rooms, in the annex, were small and the bathroom in dire need of an update. The wifi situation is ridiculous! 5 euro for a half hour to use it and was a race against the clock for my husband to do any work. The breakfast was ok, not great. The location is very good on a centrally located side street. The hotel bar is sweet and a nice place to tuck in for a cocktail before dinner. The old building is lovely, but a little too "shabby" chic and could use some tweaks. There are a lot of lovely small hotels in Florence, I just wish this one tried a little harder.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Tbilisi, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

Monna Lisa smokes and exposes her breast with a wink in the main lobby…..

Yes. All joking aside! Even though this is touted as a four star hotel, the 10 or more cliché ridden fading copies of Monna Lisa in the main sitting area are 1-star in classiness [Monna Lisa smoking cigarettes, exposing her breasts, winking vulgarly at you, etc]. Which is my point about this hotel, it is a very strange mix of old world elegance, kitschy vulgar ostentation, and slightly modern conveniences. For the price and for Florence, however, in the final analysis it is a pleasant stay to remember.

Borgo Pinti, the old long very narrow alleyway which bends into another alley of the nearby Teatro della Pergola, currently featuring Pirandello plays, is the location of Monna Lisa hotel, converted from a family estate compound that has traded hands three times since the 15th century. Now it is in the possession of the Ciardi Duprè family branch extension. Their hotel website claims them to be descendents of the sculptor born in nearby Siena, Giovanni Duprè, who died in 1882 and who has his own sculpture represented in the Hermitage of St. Petersburg and in the Palazzo Pitti of Florence, which I saw there while visiting. The oldest hospital in all Florence, still being used with an active emergency room, is five minutes by foot away on the same street. There are some Renaissance paintings still in the hospital complex, Ospedale di Santa Maria Nuouva [in Italian], founded in 1288 by the father of Dante’s love, Beatrice.

Some people have already written, that the front desk staff seem cold and restrained at first, and the bellhops and porters come across a little bit surly and in dire need of tips. But if you stay more than two days, they warm up to you, I found during my five day stay. Luigi is very responsive to questions, always. Actually, most of the front desk employees are helpful, albeit at first in a terse and tense manner. It seems to me they are a bit frightful of one of their boss's employees' regulations, somehow, and this cramps their style and spontaneity for a while!

The breakfast offering was less than average in satisfaction. The bread and pastries were bland and not tasty and they should find a new baker to supply them. The only two cold cut meats offered were quite average, and the same selection every morning, with no other choice. No omelets or scrambled eggs, just boiled eggs that were not replenished often enough, just like the one type of thin sliced salami offered and running out often on the buffet self serve table. The coffee I think was Folgers or some cafeteria discounted coffee grinds/beans, which tasted to me like metallic and bitter Folgers or Jacobs coffee, and not so much like zesty “woody” high grade Italian coffee. After the first morning I had to switch to tea, even though I wanted coffee. However, despite this, free newspapers are provided, in a few languages, and when they noticed how much I enjoyed the International Herald Tribune, they had a personal free copy of it under my door every morning at dawn!

The spacious breakfast room has some old world charm, with its centuries old furniture and manifested in a few of the small sculptures, and here and there, drawings or old paintings on the wall [along with copies]. For some reason alternative passageway entries and exits from the large room have been blocked off with very large potted plants in the way.

The exterior garden is pleasant to walk through even in winter. I could just imagine some of the flowers in bloom in warm weather, and sitting there for an hour reading my paper.

My room’s cable TV only had three working channels, but my significant other, my partner on this trip, told me we did not need TV and not to complain. When she fell asleep before me one night, I tried to find some BBC or something, even a movie, but mostly I found paid-viewing channels that were asking a lot of euros for the entire TV season of old popular series.

We enjoyed one rainy evening, after ten hours of walking, their free sparkling sudsy, house bubbling wine, awaiting our return, with their icon Monna Lisa smiling on the house bottle label at us to cheer us up with her indelicate humor.

The bathroom both delighted me and distressed me. A very cheap discount market triple shelf white plastic holding tray, was beside the sink and in the way of the door when you tried to close it. It was however, convenient to put our personal toiletries and belongings on the very small triangular three miniature levels, but this is the kind of plastic furnishing you would find in a college dormitory and not in a “four star” hotel. The Jacuzzi worked well and one day my new boots had been killing my feet after another 9 hours of much walking in the old streets, and the hot tub water and forceful vibrating and pulsating water, deeply soothed my feet and aching muscles.

Our view from the large balcony to our room was a broad panorama of the large extensive garden. It was a game of strategy in our five days, to try not to use their 15 euro per day wifi paid service, feeling we should have gotten such features for free. This took up too much of our holiday time, in the end upon reflection, we both agreed. So, add 8 euros to the daily price quoted, they charge you Florentine city tax for each day, and add another 15 euros for wifi privileges. Again, you must add this 23 euros to the daily price you think you should be paying, if you want to unwind by wifi and be paid-in-full at the end of our stay.

If you explore the entire hotel premises, it makes the hotel much more interesting. There are three main large buildings in the shape of a three sided rectangle, and the front desk building has a little antiquaria, reading room, up a spiral stone staircase, which indeed has some elegant feel to it, and I don’t think it is much used by guests. Here and there in the entire hotel is some proof of good taste, but another consciousness has also put their stamp on much of the hotel too, which shows a mercantile sense more than the pure joy of aesthetics in action.

I highly recommend the Trattoria nearby, Acquacotta, five minutes away, on a cross perpendicular street, for both lunch and dinner. Also, I think it is not fair to call the forlorn little 5 meter by 5 meter extension of one of the roofs, with two tired looking reclining chairs, a “solarium”. Better not to promote it and just let guests find it and use it like sunning in Central Park on a bench, without any fanfare.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013

We stayed here during a trip to Florence this past summer. The hotel was very clean, the staff was very helpful, and the breakfast was great. It's a little bit of a walk to the center of the city, but other than that, the amenities are great. We stayed here for four nights and they were perfect. They even give you little slippers for your feet for walking around the room.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
OSLAVIA16, Direttore at Hotel Monna Lisa, responded to this review, February 17, 2013
Dear Adam,

Thank you so much for spending the time to write a comment about your stay with us.
We are delighted to read that our Staff have been helpful and we really appreciate that you will recommend  our Hotel to others.

Wishing to welcome you again at Hotel Monna Lisa, we send you our,

Best Regards
Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

My family and I had the pleasure of staying at the Hotel Monna Lisa during New Year's Eve in Florence. This was my 3rd visit to the hotel, and I must say that the Hotel Monna Lisa has retained its greatness.

The rooms are large and very comfortable, and the breakfast buffet is excellent. The front desk staff are always friendly and helpful, and the hotel's central location in Florence makes all the tourist attractions easily accessible by walking. There is also on-site parking available for a fee which is a rare occurence within Florence.

I would highly recommend this hotel for either business or leisure travelers. The Hotel Monna Lisa has not lost its allure over these many years.

Room Tip: The rooms in the newer section along the courtyard are a little bigger and newer although staying in...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

It was a pleasure to welcome you back at Hotel Monna Lisa.

As always having our guests back, it means that we did our work ''well done''.

We are absolutely enthusiast to deliver the right service to those choosing to stay with us.

After reading your comment our Staff have a wider smile now!

You are a great witness of our overall efforts and would welcome the opportunity to see you and your family soon back again to the Monna Lisa!

See You Back Soon

Best Regards to a Special ''Monna Lisa Family Guest'' as you
Dublin, Ireland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

We stayed in the Monna Lisa in November 2012 in two (very ancient) rooms. They had the highest ceilings that I have ever encountered but were genuinely ancient and not terribly comfortable. Although meant to be romantic tbh they just came across as old and dusty. The en-suite bathrooms were of the elderly variety and I have never climbed such steep stairs to get to the rooms without a harness attachment! We did ask for the rooms to be adjoining or next door to each other when booking but this did not happen - as we were staying in a big group it worked out ok as we knew all of the other guests at this level but when travelling with small kids it is an added issue. IN some parts of this very old palace the paint is peeling and the it looks like its better days were many moons ago but this is Florence so somehow it works where in any other city it would not. The street that this hotel is on is quite genuinely more like an alleyway so the front is not very impressive but it is nice on the inside. There is a more modern section to this hotel and i would advise booking that as the older section is just a bit too old. However the staff were the nicest and most helpful that I have met anywhere and really did add to the very enjoyable stay. The car park out the back is a God send and the directions and sat nav codes supplied by the hotel will get you through the warren of streets without too much difficulty. Food in the mornings was more than adequete and the buffet spread, attentive staff and hot chololate kept both kids and adults happy. The kids found many nooks and crannies to play in and there was never any sense of the staff getting annoyed with this as can happen elsewhere. And the best bit was the bill - it was correct and nothing more added. They had advertised 4 nights for the price of 3 and that is what we got. The staff are the real high point here and I think if the rooms ( 5 and 9) had not been quite so old fashioned it would have been perfect.

Room Tip: If you like more modern comfort then book the newer rooms out the back.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

this was my 2nd stay here and the first for my 18 year old niece. we were both thrilled with everything. beautiful common areas. the staff is friendly and helpful. our room was unique and so comfy. i only wish i had more than 2 nights. the breakfast was quite nice and plentiful. very close to all attractions. walking from the train station was not bad with light luggage. i will always return to this hotel when i visit florence.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
OSLAVIA16, Direttore at Hotel Monna Lisa, responded to this review, February 7, 2013
Dear Guest,

It is indeed a pleasure to answer to your kind review.

We truly appreciate you are taking the time to write about your experience with the Hotel Monna Lisa and give your perception of a stay with us.

We feel very happy we had fulfilled your expectations.

You are a great witness of our overall efforts and would welcome the opportunity to see you soon back to the Monna Lisa .

A special thanks from all our Staff

Kind Regards