“A stylish and modern oasis hidden next to Ponti Vechio” 4 of 5 stars

Continentale
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Vicolo dell'Oro 6r, 50123 Florence, Italy   |
Ranked #33 of 458 Hotels in Florence
Sydney
“A stylish and modern oasis hidden next to Ponti Vechio”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2014

We were upgraded to a junior suite in the tower section as the related hotel which we had booked was closed for renovation. The staff were lovely and seemed genuinly excited by the upgrade. They were right, HUGE room and ensuite. It felt like living in a spa retreat. The main bed was enclosed in floor to ceiling white floaty curtains. Everything was crisp and clean which made it a soothing rest stop after a few hours of shopping or sight seeing. wifi worked perfectly. Staff and guests were generally stylish. The rooftop bar was closed for winter but the view is amazing and it looks like a fun spot for a nightcap. Our room might have been noisy if the bar was open.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
PG C, Responsabile reception at Continentale, responded to this review, February 28, 2014
Dear Sirs,
we really would like to thank you for your review. It is always very important for us to have a feedback from our guests.
We hope you decide to stay again with us in the future and if you come again in summer time you can also enjoy our bar in the rooftop that you liked!!
Our best regards!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
Sintra
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2014

Had a fantastic experience at the Hotel Continentale over my New Year! Great location, friendly staff, very functional and comfortable room, great shower & Ferragamo luxury bath products, wonderful views of the Arno River and Ponte Vecchio!
The room wasn't huge but very well laid out and very cosy & romantic. Rooftop bar was only open on New Year's eve but was tremendous. The hotel bar was functioning in the Gallery Art Hotel (no more than 15 meters in front of the Continentale) and what fantastic bar staff and cocktails they have - exceptional! Highly recommend this Ferragamo Group Hotel! Trendy, functional, comfortable and highly enjoyable hotel - walked everywhere from our hotel during the 6 day stay. Highly recommend the Continentale in Florence!

Room Tip: Get River View!
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
PG C, Responsabile reception at Continentale, responded to this review, March 1, 2014
Dear Sirs,
we couldn't be more satisfied about a review than yours.
When we receive this kind of feedback we can really be honored to have contributed to make your stay, that was even more special for the New Year's Eve, a memorable one!
We await to have the pleasure to host you here again in the future!
Hong Kong
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2014

I am sincerely surprised to read some negative feedback about this property. It is one of the best boutique hotels in Europe that I have ever stayed at. From the service at check-in which really would put a lot of 5 and 6 star hotels to shame, to the design and functionality of the rooms which could easily be featured in any design magazine anywhere around the world and the stunning location, practically atop the Ponte Vecchio - we found it difficult to fault anything about Continentale.

We received an upgrade at check-in to a corner room on the top floor of the hotel practically on top of the Ponte Vecchio. When the large floor to ceiling windows were opened it created a terrace effect where in the morning with a coffee or in the evening with a cocktail, one could take in the vista of one of the world's most beautiful cities. The bathroom was airy and over-sized, almost to the point where I wonder if some space couldn't be given back to the bedroom?

Florence hotel rooms are notorious for being small in size and in comparison Continentale is generous. With that in mind the slightly higher prices that you pay make sense, but to me still represents good value. The several times I checked the internet rates there were various promotional rates available and when that is factored in this property is extremely good value.

The many design features of the hotel are quirky but also engaging. No corner is left un-touched and there is always something to explore. The roof-top bar/lounge is a touch of genius and I can imagine when the weather is good (unlike the 5-degree days when we were there) it would be the perfect place for a cocktail and to read a good book.

The staff at the Continentale were some of the most personable yet professional I have encountered. Always ready to help with dinner reservations and directions, they were a delight to interact with. I felt a very strong sense of pride that the staff had in their jobs and wonder if that's not something endemic throughout the Ferragamo family?

Struggling to find something to critique the only thing I can possible imagine is the lack of electric kettle in the room to make tea/coffee although in our case all we needed to do was pick up the phone and a hot pot of tea arrived within minutes with cookies and at only a fraction of the cost of walking downstairs and buying one from a cafe. Quite frankly when your visage is lit up by views of the Ponte Vecchio and the Arno how anyone could possible complain amazes me!

Room Tip: As the book suggests, go for a 'room with a view'
Dear Sirs,
what can we add to your review? We couldn't be more satisfied!!!
Receiving a feedback like yours is really an honor for us, cause we feel as we have contributed to make your stay a memorable one!
The location is perfect and I agree with you that is one of the most fascinating place of the World, but I also think what makes this very special is the enthusiasm of guests like you that know how appreciate all these beautiful things!
We hope to have the pleasure to host you again in the future!
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2013

As part of our two week honeymoon, we spent a week in Florence and chose to stay at the Continentale based on outstanding reviews we saw on TripAdvisor as well as Travel + Leisure. We were not disappointed! Overall our stay in the hotel was extremely pleasant, so relaxing and comfortable, and very memorable - we will return for sure!

The hotel is situated just off of the Ponte Vecchio, a perfect central location from which to explore Florence. It was my husband's first time in Florence. From the moment we made our booking, on our arrival, throughout our stay and at our departure, the hotel made every effort to make us welcome and meet our needs. The hotel concierge reached out in advance to book tours, dinner reservations etc for our stay. We were able to arrange transportation from the train station to the hotel on our arrival into Florence. During our stay, the concierge helped arrange additional tours and reservations as our plans evolved. We especially loved the sky terrace/lounge with its spectacular views of the Florentine skyline. We spent every night there enjoying cocktails before heading out to dinner.

The room was spectacularly appointed - Italian sophistication and design in every aspect. The bed was comfortable and soooo romantically decorated. Highly recommend staying here!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
PG C, Responsabile reception at Continentale, responded to this review, December 31, 2013
Dear Sirs,
we would like to inform you that your kind review is really important for us. Is our first goal to reach guest satisfaction and expectation and your nice report will be an incentive for us to do even better!
We hope we could have you here again, maybe for your first wedding anniversary!!
Rome, Lazio, Italy
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2013

The location of the Continentale is fantastic. Other than that, it's a joke (an over priced one at that).

For a start, the rooms are small. My partner described it as living in a house boat. We booked a room with (paid a lot more for) a view but unfortunately it's not quite the setting you expect, to be able to sit by the window and sip your coffee in the morning (well, that's another story I will come to). The 'window' just about looks over the Arno river and directly into shop windows on the Ponte Vecchio - the window is also part of bathroom/wardrobe area, so not the idealistic setting to chill out in and have a drink whilst looking over the river.... what's more, the fridge in the room was not working, so the drinks that we did have, were warm and unpleasant. Small things like ensuring the fridge works should be checked by maintenance before any guests arrival.

You need a masters degree to operate the shower - some trick that needs figuring out and thankfully the other half has one.

We slept fine, nice comfy bed.

9am the next morning, whilst my partner and I are fast asleep, we hear and then see the door swing open and house keeping (we think) burst right in. We scream! No warning what so ever, knock on the door, nothing. No phone call to apologise either. Great way to start the day.

THEN to make matters worse, we call for coffee (WHICH is not supplied in the rooms) - I call reception, who puts me through to Room Service, who then puts the phone down on me! I call Room Service and get put through to the sister hotel across the road. They put my through to MY hotel and FINALLY order coffee. 25 minutes later, we call room service and ask them for our coffee. The lady has no idea what we are talking about and ARGUES with my partner that we didn't make the order! She then asks who I spoke to. I have no idea of a name. She then asks if it was a male or female. Female of course. But really, are you arguing and questioning us? Our jaws are on the floor. Finally the coffee comes 10 minutes later and we enjoy it on the beautiful roof of this great location/terrible service hotel.

When we came back to our room in the late afternoon, house keeping had come in and taken care of the tidying. I did notice however, like some of the other reviews, that the (shoddy) wooden floor was not vacuumed. Also our towels that we purposely left on the floor to get new ones, were hung back up on the rails.

On our last morning we again wanted a lie in - we've been to Florence before and we really just came to chill and take a break from Rome. At 10am from in the hotel we hear banging. Continuously for about 20 minutes. Right, we had enough and it was time to leave!!

We checked out, and were asked if we had a pleasant stay. To which I said "no". I mentioned only the 9am wake up call and having an argument with the room service staff about the coffee. When we said we used the mini bar the lady on reception said not to worry about it... I only wish now that we had had more of it, as nothing more was comped or offered for our VERY unpleasant stay. If the hotel was half of the price it is, than I would say 'fair enough', but it's really not worth the money and even if I was to pay a quarter of the price, I would NOT expect to have staff burst through the doors without warning, nor would I expect to have an argument about something so simple as ordering a coffee. Ridiculous.

Room Tip: Great location.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
PG C, Responsabile reception at Continentale, responded to this review, December 30, 2013
We want to thank you for your review. It’ a great opportunity for us to improve our hospitality and moreover to offer a better service when our guest are not satisfied.
First of all we want to apologize for your unpleasant experience at Continentale and concerning your detailed description we’d like to underline that we are really sorry you did not like the view from your room. Actually the hotel is located in the oldest part of the town and our building belongs to a very old tower that, due to historic structure and architectural constraints, we were not allowed to change design and size.
We also would like to excuse for the not great service with our room service. We had a deep check and we discovered your requested service was noticed by our sister hotel, Hotel Lungarno. The misunderstanding was due to the not clear telephone dashboard in the room, so probably it was composed the bottom connected to ‘Restaurant Hotel Lungarno’ and the call was transferred there. For this reason our staff hasn’t been able to understand immediately that your request was from Hotel Continentale.
Please accept our regret for all the problems you had during your stay.
We really hope to welcome you again at Continentale as soon as possible. It would be a great opportunity for us to come close to your expectation.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2013

We chose this hotel for our honeymoon in August, I went mainly by the pictures and after booking saw a lot of negative reviews on trip adviser so we were a little worried.

We should not have been concerned at all though, the staff were incredibly friendly and helpful, the main hotel areas chic and uber modern, the location ( literally at the end if the ponte vecchio) second to none and the room (504) ........ AMAZING!!!! Clean, stylish, it was like waking up on a cloud every morning on the biggest bed I have ever seen in my life! They turned down the bed each evening and put slippers out while we were in the incredible roof top bar for yummy drinks and the best view money could buy. This hotel made our very special honeymoon stay even more amazing than we could had ever wished for and I would say if you're looking for a stylish hotel with amazing location for a romantic break then go here you will not be disappointed.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
PG C, Responsabile reception at Continentale, responded to this review, December 12, 2013
Dear Sirs,

as per your kind review we thank you so much. We are really happy that you choosed our hotel for your special stay.. and especially that everything was over your initial expectation.

We hope to have you here again, maybe for your first wedding anniversary next year!!!
Wellsville, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2013

The hotel itself is okay. We stayed there twice. There is a tiny elevator. The bathroom is also tiny and we both walking into the towel rack more than once.
The first time we stayed we had a quiet room but the second time it was on a very, very noise side of the building so we didn't get much sleep. Not sure what people who say the view is breathtaking could possibly be talking about.
What feels bad is that I accidentally forgot my ipod in the room. They said they'd mail it to me for 80 Euros. It's a 5 year old iPod so not worth that much but one can't accuse them of kindness with an 80 Euro shipping fee.

Room Tip: I rate service at 1 star, terrible, but that doesn't show up on the preview.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
PG C, Responsabile reception at Continentale, responded to this review, December 18, 2013
Dear Elaine H.,

thank you for staying at Continentale, it is always a pleasure to welcome back our valued guests!
We really apologize if this time the room didn’t meet your expectations, but please consider that size for the rooms varies from one to another because we are a design hotel inside a medieval tower. As for the view, we also have wonderful rooms and suites just in front of Ponte Vecchio and the river, therefore should you give us the chance to meet you again at Continentale we will be glad to give you an upgrade to one of our best rooms.
Regarding the shipping, unfortunately at present we are not able to find any records of it, anyway all prices for shipping goods are quoted from the company we refer to for this service, as it is not something provided directly from hotel itself. Should your require more assistance about this matter, please contact us and we will be more than glad to help you.
Warmest regards!

Been to Continentale? Share your experiences!