This was a really disappointing stay on several levels. I had read the reviews, and knew that they were going through renovations, and had written to them asking about how it might affect us. I was assured in an email that there would be no problem at all, so it was sad to show up and find scaffolding right outside our windows. Luckily we arrived on a Friday and left on a Monday, so there wasn't construction noise for most of our stay, but they started in bright and early Monday morning.
*Air conditioning was broken so it was either freezing or too warm
*Strange chemical smell in all the hallways
*Staff not all helpful
*Dishonest about work going on
*The elevator situation which everyone has written about (You have to take two different very tiny strange elevators to get upstairs). I didn't think this would be a problem, but when you realize you've left something upstairs your heart sinks because it's a pain to get back! We just ended up using the stairs most of the time.
*Wifi is ABSURDLY expensive and then doesn't even work. $25 a day for one device, So if my husband and I both wanted to be online we would be spending $50 a day. Our other two hotels in Italy had free access that actually worked.
*No gym even though it was advertised. My husband likes to have access to the gym, and apparently it is closed due to renovations. That happened to us once in Los Angeles and guess what!? They gave us passes to a gym close by. When we asked here they seemed annoyed that we would expect them to provide a service that they advertised.
*Terrible room layout. There was no dresser or drawers to put anything away, and the only place to put our suitcases was on the two chairs, which meant that we could never sit on them.
And then there was a situation about the breakfast....When we checked in for our three day stay, the man who checked us in said "Breakfast will be included in your rate. We will show you where the breakfast room is!" and the bellhop proceeded to take us through the breakfast room and tell us the hours it was available. The first morning my husband was asleep so I went and had the breakfast (which was a very nice buffet) and then left. The second morning we both had breakfast (he had yogurt and I had toast!). and when we were about to leave the waiter brought us a bill for 50 Euros. I told him that we'd been told breakfast was included in our rate and he went away again. He came back and told me that I had to go down to reception. This was embarrassing, obviously, but I did. The man that checked us in was there with a manager. The manager started telling me that I had to pay, I pointed out that the other gentleman had told me that it was included. The other gentleman apologized and said that he had in fact told me this, but then the manager told me I still needed to pay. Absurd. I told them that I wouldn't pay $75 a day for toast and yogurt, and that I wouldn't eat there on our last day, but needless to say I was done with that hotel.
The location IS great, but there are literally dozens of hotels within a few blocks that offer the same location, but with hopefully better and more consistent service. I hate places that act like they are doing you a huge favor taking your money!
This review is the subjective opinion of a TripAdvisor member and not of TripAdvisor LLC.
Dear Mr / Mrs,
Report response as inappropriate
My name is Claudio Catani, the general Manager of the hotel. It would be helpful to understand who is writing just to be able to check Your review which is going on the opposite way of the last 5 reviews we received on Tripadvisor.
Not being able to check the paperworks of your booking (type of accommodation, day of arrival, etc..) I can only answer in general to your remarks :
1. A/c – we had no lack of a/c during the recent time
2. Don’t have any remarks of chemical smell in all the hallaways (did you visit the entire building?)
3. Staff not helpful and dishonest about work going on : We are proud of the service we render to our esteemed Clientele; I cannot give You any proper answer on this because I don’t know who is writing. Further more I want to say that it is very discourteous what you said about our staff being dishonest.
4. The elevator situation is something which is not a problem; I would like to add a passage of a travel agent’s review stayed in the hotel during this summer : …..”With an older building like this, the rooms were on several different levels and guests have to take a couple of different elevators to reach some rooms, though it was not an inconvenience and our group enjoyed the hotel as part of our wonderful adventure in Italy that spanned two weeks..”
5. Wi Fi : I use to travel a lot for business and I have not had the same good fortune; I always pay for wi fi connectivity; it is still discourteous your way to write ABSURDLY
6. No Gym : as you mentioned is duly advertised in our web site that the gym is not available. As this is not a lack of service we did not provide pass for another gym
7. Terrible room layout : this is something very surprising as 98% of our Clientele have left proven written notice on how they have liked our refurbished rooms
8. Breakfast : thank You for your comment of our buffet breakfast (very nice buffet); it is very strange that you pay a lot of attention to details and don’t know if your meal plan includes breakfast or not. Usually our Clients don’t ask if they have breakfast included or not, if they do we normally check the paperworks and give proper answer.
This response is the subjective opinion of the management representative and not of TripAdvisor LLC.