“Nice experience, wonderful location” 4 of 5 stars

You added Croce di Malta Hotel to your Saves list
Croce di Malta Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Via della Scala 7, 50123 Florence, Italy   |
Ranked #266 of 461 Hotels in Florence
“Nice experience, wonderful location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

We stayed for 3 nights and we enjoyed our stay. The hotel was really easy to reach from the railway station and the location of the hotel is very good, everything is at a walking distance. We enjoyed the pool area of the hotel, it was really refreshing to dip in to the pool after a hot day or during the hot day. The weather in Florence was superbly hot in July. The view from the rooftop terrace is magnificent. Our room was quite basic, a bit rusty, historic feeling, our room was overlooking the pool area. I have to mention one downside, our room was never cleaned during our 3 night stay but I don't even remember anymore if I complaint about that or not. So it was not a big deal.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I was traveling with a tour group, but staying by myself. I was actually the only one in my tour group to be moved to this hotel, as our original hotel had overbooked and was short one room, so, honestly, I didn't get to experience all that this hotel had to offer other than my room and their restaurant. The view from my room absolutely sucked, being that, when I opened the shutters, I was staring at what I believe was fake ivy on the wall of the building next to it, scaffolding, and a ladder. At one point, I came back into my room and saw that my shutters and window had been opened while I was out and, with the scaffolding and ladders next to the window and my being alone, I became very worried that someone had broken into my room, but, after a quick check of my belongings, I concluded that the attendants had opened them when cleaning my room. My room itself was very tastefully decorated and charming. The bed consisted of two twin mattresses put together to form one bed and, of the five hotels I stayed at on my tour, this was the worst sleep I had. I stayed here two nights, sleeping on a different mattress each time, but awoke with a stiff and sore back both times. I had to step up to get into the bathroom and step down to get out of it, so, being a bit of a klutz, I stumbled and tripped a few times here. This hotel is one of those more environmentally friendly stays requiring you to be in the room for the air and lights to be functional, so, be prepared for your room to get warm or hot while you are out and for your room to be dark until you enter it, find the port to insert your key card, and turn the lights on. The room did seem to cool down quickly, though. I had sufficient power outlets for charging devices. The elevators were what I consider normal size, instead of tiny, as some of the elevators in others hotels had been. The lobby area was beautiful and the restaurant and breakfast sufficient. The waiters at the hotel's restaurant took good care of me and the huge steak florentine I ordered was very good. The cleaning staff were extremely friendly and helpful; in fact, they were, perhaps, the friendliest hotel staff I encountered during my entire trip.

• Stayed September 2014, traveled solo
Baltimore, MD
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 weeks ago

This hotel is located near the Florence train station and it doesn't look like much on the outside, but the inside was a pleasant surprise. Inside it is a pleasant, historic - looking boutique style hotel. I stopped here as part of a group tour and it was a little hectic for a large group, since the lobby and the dining area are really too small to accommodate a big group, and it's worse if two big groups are staying at once as happened to us. However, for just an individual tourist stay it would be fine. It's easy walking distance from the train station and the main tourist and shopping areas of Florence, and convenient to cafes and restaurants - which you might want to plan on eating at if there seems to be a big group also staying.

Rooms are a mixed bag. My single room on the third floor was on the small side as the bed took up almost all the space, there was no sitting area or decent desk, and the bathroom, especially the shower, was small. However, I am not a big person and was out of the room most of the day. I liked the big bed (at least a double if not bigger) and the quaint window view over the rooftops. The decor was antiqueish; instead of a closet, there was a big armoire to hang your clothes and contain the in-room safe, and it was more of a B and B atmosphere than a chain hotel. Wi-Fi was free and quite strong, not limited.

I understand from talking to others in my group that the sizes of the rooms varied. Some of the double and triple rooms were quite spacious while some of the single rooms were smaller than mine. Perhaps your best bet is to ask to see the room and then if it's too small request a change.

I would not recommend this hotel for anyone who is mobility impaired since the halls and elevators are narrow, there are steps to different levels in the hall and in the room there is another step up into the bathroom and then a step up into the shower. This place works best for small agile travelers. I also can't recommend the breakfast since they seemed understaffed and were running out of food, water, plates, cups, places to sit, and not replenishing items or clearing the tables very fast. We were on a schedule and I had to eat whatever was left off makeshift plates at a dirty table on one morning. I recommend eating put if possible for breakfast as there are places in the neighborhood.

Finally, a word about noise. Apparently there are one or two noisy bars behind the hotel that you can hear till the wee hours and after they close, the patrons make noise on the street in front of the hotel. This happened every night we were there. So this hotel and neighborhood aren't for light sleepers.

I'd consider staying again since I don't have trouble sleeping, can fit in the shower ok and appreciated the pretty room, big bed and wi-fi.

Stayed November 2014, traveled with friends
bethesda, md
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2014

I was a bit concerned reading the reviews - we booked this hotel as part of a package - but we were pleasantly surprised and we'd stay here again. We arrived in Florence via train and this was a quick (5 minute) walk from the train station near a beautiful church and square from which the hotel gets its name. Our room (114) was a split level with a large living room and balcony downstairs and a big bedroom and bathroom upstairs. Florence was part of a three city stop my husband and I were doing and was also the location of where our son was spending his semester abroad. The spacious (living) room made it easy to visit without being in a bedroom.
The wifi is free and strong. Breakfast was quite good - both hot and cold options. I only wish it wasn't raining when we were there so we could have taken advantage of the garden. The only downside, and it has been mentioned by some others, is that the walls are thin - but after walking all day, eating the terrific food and gelato and drinking the wine and craft beer sleeping was definitely not a problem.
The location is terrific - as mentioned it is a 5 minute walk from the train station and the big bus station. About the same distance to the Duomo and the Ponte Vecchio. Florence overall is a very walkable city and you can pretty much get anywhere on foot.

• Stayed November 2014, traveled as a couple
woodstock new york
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2014

As I have said before, I have stayed at this hotel about 15 times since 1995. I stay here because it is a wonderful hotel! I find it amazing that there are people who are dissatisfied. In fact the same things that have beguiled me over these so many years have soured some people. I read that a certain individual thought the reception was not so nice. In fact that is one of the main reasons I love this hotel. Everyone at the reception has been wonderful to me. People say that the pigeons are very annoying. Well that can happen, so if you are there with someone else, one person should stay at the table while the other person gets his food. If you are there alone (as I have been many times) get your food first, then sit down. The outdoor tables are wonderful in their beautiful garden. I read about the person who was very dissatisfied with his situation because the key system broke down. In fact subsequent to that, Silvia (who is one of the most delightful people I ever met there!!!) wrote a response in which the management offered a full refund and complimentary stay. What more can you ask for? They were honestly sorry about what happened. Another person wrote about the condition of rooms. Well I can tell you that they are always renovating, cleaning, and making sure everything is clean. I have witnessed these things many times over the years. I have met the owners and believe me they are wonderful people who like to please. One of them told me that making people happy to be staying there is their primary goal. That being said, understand that rooms in Italy are different from what we come to expect in USA hotels. Yes bathrooms in general can be small, the breakfast (which I love at Croce di Malta) are sometimes in general small (Italians eat quickly, grab a cappuccino or espresso and whoosh are out the door!), and any good hotel can have tour buses there. In short, I can only say good things about this excellent hotel. Email me for any info about the hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a garden view. Ahhhhh.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
Saint Louis, Missouri
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2014 via mobile

This is one of the worst hotels I have ever stayed in......and it's not cheap. The furniture is beyond dated. The rooms need a good coat of paint. The breakfast is inedible. Stay away. There are plenty of other hotels to stay at in Florence.

• Stayed October 2014
Italy
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2014

Liked the free wifi, the staff, the big room ( room 126) especially travelling with 3 kids, the big bathrooms. There is also a lovely terrace bar on the top floor that opens in the evening. However the room was noisy ( outside and inside noises) and the breakfast is far from the quality of a 4 star hotel. The hotel itself is a bit outdated ( if you like the seventies style). There is a small pool outside but even though it was hot it was in October so we didnt use it. The location is perfect both for the train station and the centre!

Room Tip: Duplex room 126 on first floor was very noisy
  • Stayed October 2014, traveled with family

Been to Croce di Malta Hotel? Share your experiences!