“A room with a view” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #264 of 458 Hotels in Florence
brooklyn, ny
“A room with a view”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014

I had a very nice 2 night stay. Asked for a nice room with a view and definitely got that with a private terrace. More than I would have expected, a very nice surprise. The location was perfect right around the corner from the train station and Plaza Santa Maria Novella. Easy walk everywhere. The staff were nice and helpful. The decor and finishes could be updated but overall pretty comfortable.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Tampere, Finland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

The hotel's location is great. The hotel itself is a bit worn and old fashion, but some have already been restored, I hope the renovation will continue. The elevator was completely covered with a brown carpet, a little strange. The apartment was in a big family apartment, carpet is not the best option at the hotel, I recommend the hardwood floor. Too little drawer for a large group, but cabinets there is enough. The apartment was lighted weakly. Safetybox broke down several times and did not function properly. The staff is a bit distant, but polite. Swimming pool brought great recreation for long walks after.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014

I will start out by saying, the hotel staff is very professional, knowledgeable and superbly friendly. Without a doubt, I would definitely stay at this hotel again. I had a very comfortable and well appointed room. My room had a balcony with a great pictorial view of Florence. I really liked the versatile dinning settings that the hotel offers an (indooor/outdoor dinning experience) with very good views. I would also strongly recommend the roof top bar. I personallly, do not consume alcoholic drinks but you wont be at a lost. The bar offers non-alcoholic beverages as well. From the loftly roof top you can take beautifully landscaped photos in picturesque fashion.
Michelangelo's "David" isn't to far away via taxi or walking and there are very good places for eating and shopping along the way.

Room Tip: just make the request for a room with a great view
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
Chippenham
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014

Booked a last minute break to Florence and picked this hotel for location. Wasn't disappointed - all the main sites within walking distance. Wasn't expecting much of the hotel and was very pleasantly surprised. We arrived early so i asked if we could leave luggage and they said we could check in early - a bonus. When we got to the room i couldn't believe it. We had a duplex suite overlooking the pool courtyard, absolutely fantastic.
We had B&B tariff and breakfasts we good. On the 2nd evening they opened up the rooftop bar with superb views across Florence. Staff were very helpful Would definitely go back.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back are quieter
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Westwood, New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

The main reason I booked this hotel is because they have a pool and I figured after a long day of sightseeing my four kids would like to swim. Definitely not worth booking a hotel because of a pool. We were too far from all the sites and the hotel altogether was just average. There were highschool kids staying there on a tour so the hotel was also noisy and the walls were PAPER THIN so you are able to hear everything. The rooms were clean and a good size for Europe but the hotel definitely need a face lift. It was a bit musty but overall clean. The rooftop bar was amazing and a nice way to end a long day. We didn't mind walking but there are so many hotels in Florence this is not a choice I would make again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room off street
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
silviale75, Responsabile relazioni pubbliche at Croce di Malta Hotel, responded to this review, July 18, 2014
Dear Sir,
we are deeply sorry that you didn’t enjoy your stay in our hotel especially because of our location that is usually one of our greatest strength.
We are located few steps far from Piazza Santa Maria Novella which is considered one of the most beautiful squares of Florence, it takes 7 minutes walking to reach Piazza Duomo, the heart of Florence (source: google map) during this short walk it is possible to see a lot of other “main sites”, the proof is the beautiful view you have from our terrace.

We respect your and all the other guest opinions and of course we will exploit your remarks to improve our hotel... where we hope to welcome again!
Kind regards
Silvia Martella
Leicester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

I have to say that after I had booked this hotel I read the reviews and was really concerned that I had made a bad choice. My husband and I went to Italy for our anniversary and travelled to Florence from Pisa for a 3 night stay. In Pisa we had had a modern hotel but were delighted with the Croce di Malta Hotel, it is charming throughout with its traditional windows and shutters in the rooms and the iggly piggly layout of the hotel as it is quite obviously a very old building and hence there are darker areas but these all added to the charm of the place. Our room was good and we had clean sheets and towels every day. The breakfast (which had had particularly bad reviews) I thought was more than adequate for a continental breakfast and the choice of delicious pastries added to the waist line!. Our dealings with the staff were all great, we found each member that we approached both informative and polite. The pool area was great and you would never believe that you were smack bang in the middle of Florence, the rooftop terrace is stunning, just like the picture. All in all we had a really lovely stay here and I for one would return tomorrow if I could. Please try not to take too much notice of the negative reviews as I am not sure what other people expect.

Room Tip: There were mosquitos in the garden area and therefore would suggest a repellent but this is no fault...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Strongsville, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

One of the reasons you go to Florence is the beautiful views and you can get it for free by staying here and going to hotel the rooftop bar. Small rooftop bar with great views of the city. Our room also had a very tiny terrace with a great view of the city. Rooms are just ok if you are spoiled by American standards, but who stays in the rooms except to sleep when you are in Italy anyway. Also has a pool which my kids loved in the afternoon after a hot day of sightseeing. Again, the pool is not great if you measure it against American standards, but for a hotel in historic Florence, it was a nice break from the heat. The hotel is a short walk from the train station - walk across the street and through the square and you are there to dump your luggage and go sightseeing. There were a couple of good restaurants within walking distance. 13 Gobbi was a good restaurant nearby (short walk) for Florence steak. It is about a 15 minute walk from the hotel to the Duomo. Once you get to the Duomo you can walk to the Uffuzi (maybe 10 minutes) and then to the bridge.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Been to Croce di Malta Hotel? Share your experiences!