“A great place to stay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #266 of 461 Hotels in Florence
london
“A great place to stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2012

My husband and i have just returned from a two week trip to Italy, the second week spent in Florence. Having read the reviews before i went i decided to ignore the couple of bad ones as you cant please everybody. I'm so glad i did. The staff were very helpful and friendly, there was plenty of choice at breakfast time and everything was fresh. The swimming pool and garden area was great and a good place to cool off after the summer heat. Our room was really spacious and clean, fresh towels everyday and kept so nice. I would reccommend this hotel to anyone going to Florence. The location is great, it's close to everything. The small mini mart opposite and the ice cream place on the corner are so cheap and the ice cream was the best in Florence. There is also a roof garden with the most amazing views. The only downside was the hall ways that maybe needed a coat of paint,but that was not a problem for me. I would go there again.

Room Tip: I noticed a few room with balconys that looked really nice.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Pocono Pines, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2012

While staying at six different hotels this past summer, Croce di Malta turned out to be one of the best. Even though Croce di Malta was an older hotel, our beautiful room, overlooking the pool and courtyard area, was fantastic!! What truly made this hotel one of the best was the friendly, very accommodating staff. We needed an ironing board and an iron in our room, we received it!! Not all hotels were this accommodating. We wanted to swim late at night, we were allowed to. When we wanted drinks, no matter what time, Valentino was there to serve us. I need to add that we loved Valentino!!!! Thank you for making our stay very relaxing!!!

Room Tip: Ask for the hotel room on the second floor that overlooks the pool and courtyard area!!!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Coventry, West Midlands, UK
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2012 via mobile

Stayed at this nice hotel on Treyn holiday but although ideally situated near train station and centre of Florence the hotel is showing a distinct lack of care. The outdoor garden and pool could be a beautiful area but it lacks any attention from the owners.
The hotel has a roof top bar which is only open 1700 to 2000hrs which is a real pity.
The breakfast is ghastly with an offering of coffee which is undrinkable.
Rooms on the front are very noisy although substantial shutters kep out most of the noise.
Overall a disappointing transit hotel

Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
belleville, illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

My husband and grandaughter and I stayed here for 3 nights in July of 2012. The grand loved that she had her own room and bath and we enjoyed the privacy of our upstairs loft. There is a lot of fun public space and our balcony off of the main floor of our room was a delightful shaded place for a break from the late afternoon heat. We walked easily to and from the train station and it was a short walk to the main Florence attractions like the Duomo, Piazza Republica, Accademia, Ponte Vecchio and more.Front desk staff was very helpful. Only downside was a marginal breakfast. But who cares?? This is Italy.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Naples, Italy
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2012

I was very pleased with my hotel room and the location of Croce di Malta. It is close to the train and bus station, and it is a very easy walk to just about anywhere in Florence. Our room was very nice. It was spacious and had a beautiful little balcony overlooking the courtyard and pool area. The balcony had flowers and being on the third floor, we could look out to the roof-tops of Florence. Our room had plenty of space for our suitcases and belongings. There was a desk, mini fridge, and safe in the large armoire. There were even spare pillows and blankets! We had an issue with our air conditioner staying on at first, but hotel staff came upstairs and showed us how to fix the "problem." The beds were very firm (like elsewhere in Italy) and the pillows were flat (hence the spare pillows). The bathroom was fairly spacious, except for the shower. The shower was the smallest I had ever seen! You can only fit one person in the shower and if an average sized adult drops something, it is almost impossible to pick it up unless you open the shower door. Our shower also had a small leak and water came out into the bathroom a little, but it wasn't enough to bother us.

The hotel staff was very helpful -- they helped me make reservations, provided us with a more powerful blow dryer when we asked, and even made copies from our guidebook when my family was splitting up to see different attractions. Wifi was provided and is free. I found that our passwords expired quickly though, so I had to go down to the front desk 2 or 3 times during our 3 night stay to obtain a new password.

Breakfast was not too bad. They had scrambled eggs (which were strangely a dark yellow/orangish color, but tasted normal), cut up hot dogs, cereal, yogurt, fruit cocktail, rolls/croissants (taste store bought and kind of hard), cold cuts, cheese, juice, coffee, and water. Warning to those coffee lovers -- this machine is either broken or only makes super strong, bad tasting coffee. If you like Caffe Lattes or Italian Cappuccinos, I recommend making a cappuccino and in a separate mug pressing the boiled milk button. I put a few spoonfuls of the cappuccino coffee into my milk and it was perfect. No one in my family could drink the coffee just as the machine made it. The breakfast attendant was not too friendly or attentive. I feel like food ran out quickly and took a while to be replaced. Additionally, the attendant did not allow us to pull two tables together so that my family of 7 could have breakfast together.

Breakfast was not the highlight of this hotel, but I loved our room, the view, the free wifi, and the location. It's a great "tourist class" hotel and I highly recommend it!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2012

We had an upstairs/downstair room as there were three of us in the one room. We had two separate bedrooms with a bathroom upstairs and a lounge two lounge chairs and a bathroom and toilet downstairs also a TV upstairs and one downstairs the TV upstairs didn't work. We had access to internet in our room as well as in the area behind the reception area. Had trouble with the shower is the upstairs bathroom as it flooded the floor when you turned it on. There was confusion at breakfast as the staff didn't know how to set out the food and the milk wasn't fresh. On the Saturday night it was noisy and a car was broken into outside the hotel and our Tour Director rang the police but they didn't come. The rooms were very stuffy and the Air Conditioning didn't always work. We didn't eat at this hotel but had a lovely meal at a small restaurant just down the road from the hotel. There is a shop over the road that sells soft drink and wine and beer which is very cheap also have snacks.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2012

Croce de Malta

This is a summary of the issues we have found with Croce di Malta during our stay the nights of Jun 9, 10, and 11 2012. Let me preface my remarks by saying this is the third time we have stayed at this hotel. Our previous stays were 2010 and 2011. Our stay in 2010 was not bad except for the quality and freshness of the breakfast (see below). In 2011 the breakfast was the same low quality and there was an issue with bed bugs, not only in our group but other guests (we heard them complain at the front desk and saw bed bugs on one of our students).

In 2012 the quality of this hotel has gone from bad to world class bad - horrible, in fact! How this hotel is rated any higher than 1 star makes one wonder about the credibility of those who hand out such ratings. Below please find a list of problems encountered in less than 48 hours during our 2012 stay.

SERVICE
We experienced unbelievable bad service Being called "stupid" by Andrea, the front desk clerk, It still has my head spinning in disbelief! Service from the rest of the staff was spotty ... Some good, some almost as bad according to our students.

ROOMS

The first room (226) I had at Croce di Malta had the following problems:
1 A/C did not work
2 the room was so small it was difficult to move around in, with room only for the bed
3 the closet only had two hangers in it
4 there were no drawers anywhere in the room
5 the safe in the closet was on the floor so I had to get on my hands and knees to use it
6 the shower was so small - coffin size - that if one dropped the soap one had to get out of the shower to pick it uo
7 the shower had absolutely no horizontal surface so that I could put the soap down while using the shampoo and vice versa. So I had to hold both while showering or continually open and close the coffin-sized shower and set one down outside.
8 once the lights were turned out and I tried to go to sleep, I noticed a small strobe-like light over the door to the room. It blinked on every 15 seconds all night long. I had to wear a sleeping mask to get to sleep in my hot unairconditioned room.
9 when I moved to my second room (329) I no longer was within the reach of WiFi and had to go to the lobby to use it
10 I noticed (too late after moving) the room had fewer outlets than the first room - it had NO OUTLETS except for the minibar!

Other room problems noted by our students
1 BED BUGS! (one of our students had to move rooms) This is the second year in a row we've had bed bug problems so clearly they know they have a problem and haven't fixed it.
2 some of the girls complained of extremely dim lighting in the bathroom

GENERAL CONDITION

The general condition of the hotel is marginal, at best...
1 On more than one occasion the extremely small elevators went down when it should have gone up and the blockage sensor on one of them is not functioning making it unsafe for people who try to get on as the door is closing
2 the door leading to the pool area has lever-type knobs. They fell off BOTH sides of the door.

BREAKFAST

1 both in 2011 and in 2012 we found the milk to be sour. As a matter of fact, the first morning there an Italian family was sitting beside us and the little boy said "The milk tastes funny Daddy". So we know it was not just us.

2 in general the breakfast is very poor quality ... The juice is not fresh - clearly canned juice and the breakfast meat is simply chopped up hot dogs (this has been every year)

I could go on but I think I've made my point ... THIS IS A HORRIBLE HOTEL WITH BAD SERVICE.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
simonebrogi, Manager at Croce di Malta Hotel, responded to this review, July 27, 2012
Dear Sir,

I am very sorry that you have not enjoyed your stay at our hotel although, I am quite sure that your opinion was made in the heat of the moment, immediately after an argument you had with one of our employees for which I sincerely apologise. Otherwise, I cannot understand why you would choose to come back to our hotel 3 years in a row if indeed it was as bad as you make out. Our 4 star hotel still has the same elevators (which are standard size for an ancient building in the heart of Florence accommodating up to 4 people each). Our reception staff and the waiters in our restaurant are the same and haven’t changed in years. The only things and the same staff both at the reception and restaurant as the hotel has always had these past few years. The hotel has improved the quality of services on offer by enhancing the breakfast, modernising the reception, changing the room furnishings and renovating all of the rooms’ bathrooms. Furthermore, we inform you that in 2010 we installed a new air conditioning and central heating system.

I understand that, since we were fully booked, we had to assign you one of the 6 standard single rooms with French bed (as per booking received), but if you had informed us that you would rather have preferred a bigger room we could have assigned one of the 91 other rooms we have (including 20 Junior suites), which we certain you would have loved..

Nevertheless, I would like to make it clear that your opinion is very important to us. Indeed, every complaint no matter how trivial is given due consideration as we strive to improve both the product and service that the hotel offers.

The only accusation we really cannot accept concerns bed bugs, about which you refer to from second hand experience as you have not found them personally. After reading your review and because we considered it very serious, we called a company specialized in insect disinfestation (despite no other guest ever having mentioned this problem). Skilled workers have made a very accurate inspection and, as we imagined, they could not find any bed bugs at all, so the company assumed that you could maybe only refer to average mosquito bites – Mosquitoes are quite common in Florence in the Summer months.

I sincerely hope that you can review your position about our hotel and I remain at your disposal for any further communication. In case you wish to contact me directly, please kindly write to us at the hotel e-mail and I will be glad to reply back to you.
Most of all, however, I would really like to have the opportunity to have you as our guest again. Infact, it would be my pleasure to invite you for dinner in order to meet you personally and I could show you that what has happened this year during your stay was nothing more than a mishap.

Been to Croce di Malta Hotel? Share your experiences!