“One of my favorites in Florence” 5 of 5 stars

+39 055 475286
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with
La Cucina del Garga is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #106 of 1,874 Restaurants in Florence
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Entertaining clients, Romantic, Special occasions, Doing business
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: "La Cucina del Garga" arrived on the Florence restaurant scene when Chef Alessandro Gargani returned from an 8 year run as Executive Chef in New York City's famous "Mezzogiorno Restaurant" in SOHO. It is there that he practiced his craft, honed his recipes and started his family. From an early age, his parents Sharon Oddson and Giuliano Gargani AKA "Il Garga" had instilled in him their passion for food and art. In 2010, he returned to his hometown to continue the family tradition born at The Trattoria in Via del Moro and then brought here to Via San Zanobi. The restaurant is an art gallery as well as showcase where talented local artists have the opportunity to show their work and customers can purchase paintings or sculptures to enrich their own private collections.
San Diego, California
“One of my favorites in Florence”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013

The La Cucina del Garga is one of the solid restaurants in Florence. I have visited del Garga four times in the past two years. The staff is very friendly and the most importantly food quality is excellent. Thanks to Trip Advisor and other Web ranking sites, the restaurant does have a lot of tourists, but that does not detract from the meal. Every dish I have tried has been well prepared and well presented. They have a very good selection of fairly priced Tuscan wines. Highly recommended.

Minneapolis
“Charming, eclectic atmosphere”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2013 via mobile

Went here based on Trip Advisor. The walk was interesting seeing many locals. Went there at 7:30 in the evening without a reservation and got in fine. (It was full when we left though!) We were given complimentary champagne, a basket of bread, and focaccia I believe. A nice touch and quite good. I had pasta with sundries tomatoes and clams. My husband had spaghetti with prosciutto. Both dishes were quite good. Best of all about this place is the decor. We talked about several pieces. One in particular that interested us was a statue holding a baseball bat :) I highly recommend this place. Staff is friendly, food is good, ambiance is great. Grazie!

Columbus, Ohio
“Wedding dinner”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

My husband and I got married in Florence and had diner here with some family member. Everyone at La Cucina del Garga made our night over the top special. We were greeted with applause from everyone and seated by the chefs mother who is just the sweetest woman! We were given Prosecco and a wonderful welcome.

We order bottles of red wine and 2 appetizer meat and cheese trays. We were also given complementary house salad, that was amazing. We were also given their signature bread with red sauce on it, also wonderful. I ordered the crab pasta, my husband the cuddle fish, my mother and brother the ravioli and my father the squid pasta. There was no food left on anyones plate......none.

Following diner a very rich chocolate torte (in the shape of a heart of course) was brought out. It was so rich and delicious. We stayed almost 2 hours drinking and talking and enjoying the entertainment. When we did finally leave the chef requested to see us to give us a gift and take a picture with us. He is an Italian who spent time cooking/training in New York city. He was so nice to take time out of his night to talk with us and give us a book of his fathers art he wrote a note in and signed.

We would not have asked for anything more. Le Cucina del Garga knows how to make you feel special and full!

Oldham
“Promised much, delivered less”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

There are lots of other reviews of this restaurant that contain blow by blow accounts of the food that was eaten so I'm not going to do that other than to say that the food we were able to order was pretty good although the bouquet of sage on top of the calves liver was a bit over the top. The menu is very good and just that bit different from the majority of restaurants in the area; one of the things that attracted us to it. From when we arrived to when we finished our main courses the service was excellent, the complimentary glass of prosecco and focaccia with a tomato sauce were nice touches but most of all we were made to feel very welcome and were treated very well. Strangely once we'd finished our main courses and were looking forward to ordering dessert we might as well not have existed. In the end we decided enough was enough somehow managed to get some coffee and the bill, paid and left. If a really good restaurant is more than good food then La Cucina del Garga has, in my view, some work to do. I should mention I did like the eclectic decor and the music as well.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Portland, Oregon
“We would eat here again tomorrow if we could!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

Not enough could be said about the fabulous dinner that we enjoyed at this wonderful establishment. The homemade pastas were fantastic and had very interesting and unique flavors and ingredients. We ordered the Fetticcini Magnifico and Penne with lemon zest and pistachios and both were lovely. The steak was honestly the best and most tender we have ever had (next to Ota Steakhouse in Kyoto, Japan) and was perfectly seasoned with rosemary, salt and onion - we literally cut it with our forks. The service was excellent and wine suggestion was perfect and reasonably priced. The complimentary prosecco and tomato sauce on foccasia was also a nice welcoming touch. We are avid foodies and were thoroughly impressed. My mouth is still watering as I write about it now!