“Good room for the money” 4 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Via dei Conti 3, 50123 Florence, Italy   |
Special Price
20% off room rate
Ranked #74 of 461 Hotels in Florence
“Good room for the money”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013 via mobile

The room and bathroom were a little small, but most European hotel rooms are. The complimentary breakfast was nice with a good selection. The location was great, walking distance from the train station, and right next to 2 major churches, one being the duomo. Wifi worked well in room.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

We stayed 4 nights here in Florence in February. After the long train ride from Germany we found the hotel very easy and it was only about a 10 minutes walk with our bags from the train station. The location is great, the staff were very friendly when we arrived and when we had questions during our stay they were always very informative and nice. Our room was on the 2nd floor room 8. The room was lovely and spacious compared to what we had in Germany. The bathroom was large and we had a nice size bed, very clean room. The only bad thing about this room was that it was right next to the kitchen where they made breakfast every morning. So at about 6:30 we woke up to banging and loud noises coming from the kitchen. Other than that, everything was perfect about the hotel. The internet was a little shaky in our room but worked fine in the lobby. The hotel is close to the Duomo and one of the best gelato places in Florence. There are a lot of nice restaurants nearby as well. For the price of the hotel and its central location we would absolutely stay here again. Great Value.

Room Tip: I would recommend staying away from room 8. Right next to kitchen, loud in the mornings.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Saranac Lake, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

I never got around to reviewing Hotel Centrale after our trip to France and Italy last April, and my guilt has finally gotten to me. For a fairly moderately priced hotel in Florence, it left little or nothing to be desired, at least by my spouse and me. Of course, we arrived by train. I wouldn't want to try and get their or park if I had a car (I suppose there are ways to do this for the very brave or very reckless). The Centrale is about a 10 minute walk from the main station, and wonderfully located for for all the sites in central Florence. We could see could see the Duomo (cathedral) Square by walking out it's door, turning left, and walking half a block. The view of Duomo Square illuminated at night is the first thing I remember when thinking out this trip (my fourth to Europe, plus living there a year). We could walk to the Ponte Vecchio in about 10 minutes. The Medici Chapel, not to be missed, is pretty much on the walking route from the Centrale to the station (we visited it on our way out of town, and were able to leave our bags with helpful staff). The hotel is in an old residence, has a huge, very attractive and comfortable lobby with a (infrequently used) bar. Nice, breakfast room with really good coffee. The staff was very competent, helpful, and fluent in English. Our room was quite large by European standards, and comfortable. I think the whole place had been done over not too long ago, as decor, furniture and bathroom seemed that way, though not really "modernistic". We later stayed a a more expensive hotel in Rome that did not even have a lobby or any staff beyond desk and cleaning, as well as several other drawbacks (e.g.non-functioning internet). Compared to this, the Centrale was a real bargain as well as a pleasure. I can't imagine a better hotel for a visit to Florence.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
florida
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

Wanted to check out one day early and the receptionist was very nasty- wouldn't give me contact information for general manager and said I had to email her and then she would give the manager the message- she said I would have to pay for the entire stay. I ended up checking out early and she seemed to care less- just wanted me to sign the bill. good location. rooms are a bit odd- first floor-near the reception area. Overall decent place if you get good price but don't count on great service. Also no breakfast served which was unusual for most hotels in Italy.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
robnor71, Responsabile reception at Relais Hotel Centrale, responded to this review, January 16, 2013
Dear Sir,

we always try to be as kind as possibile since our guests’ satisfaction is our first aim and we are therefore at your disposal in order to help and satify all your requests, where possible. Your request to leave one day earlier was done the evening before for the day immediately after, therefore our receptionist had to remind you that according to our policy, cancellation has to be communicated at least 48 hours before the date; this is clearly stated at the moment of reservation and accepted by guests who decide to confirm it. Moreover you told our receptionist that you would have sent an e-mail explaining the situation to our manager, but we haven’t received any e-mail by you and we however informed him about the matter; in any case, we would like to specify that cancellation policy cannot be modified by anyone and the manager itself has to confirm that with a late cancellation, the cancelled night has to be paid .
According to the rooms, the floor where you stayed has been completely renovated . It is obvious that we cannot discuss about personal tastes, but our rooms are equipped with all amenities and high quality Italian furnitures.
Finally, concerning breakfast we serve everyday a buffet with fresh products trying to respond to everyone expectations and habits. We therefore offer eggs, cakes, croissant, fruits, cereals, fresh bread, cheese, ham, salami as well as different kinds of drink.
We are very sorry if you found us not to be friendly enough, this was surely not our intention, we just tried to inform you about the policy.
Rome, Italy
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

This was my second trip to Florence in a year..I chose the Hotel Centrale based on the previous reveiws. It pretty much lived up to the ratings and reveiws I read. It has a good location and the room I had had a good view of the dome of the Medici Chapel. The staff was nice and accomodating as long as you didn't complain or insinuate that things weren't perfect. I say this cause I had a friend with me and we needed 2 beds. I payed for an upgrade so we would have the view and two single beds. When we checked in the girl at the counter was very nice until we came back and asked if the double bed could be split, which it could as it was 2 bed pushed together..her attitude came out. fortunately there was someone else there so as we explained what we wanted the other girl immediately took care of it. Took 5 mins as we waited in the lobby. There were 3 things about the room that were not a big deal but should be mentioned. 1. there was a little mold in the shower, not a problem for me but my friend was put off by that. 2. the wi-fi did not work consistenly 3. the temp of the room was very hot. Granted it was mid Dec and pretty cold out but the temp control in the room did not allow you to control. So we slept with the windows open which made for a slightly noisy night and early awakening..also getting to cold during the night, getting up to close and then it became to hot again...not the best setup for a sound nights sleep. Aside from this the hotel was ok. the price which included breakfast was fair and the breakfast was nice. I would recommend this hotel and would probable go back again but next time I would make sure the bed was the type I asked for and the temp more controlable.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Florence, Italy
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

Location- great. Price- good, cleanliness and comfort-great, staff- excellent.
A good choice as a base for Florence. The room was adequately sized, perfectly clean and most importantly for Florence - quiet!
Breakfast was good and the coffee too.
All in all this hotel ticks the boxes.

Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Tirana, Albania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

Hotel was really on the center (like its name) very close to Duomo, galeria Uffici, Ponte vecchio, Academia, piazza della signoria etc. If you are looking for a hotel that can rich all what mentioned above in walking distance this is the one. Room was comfortable, clean and the service was above average. Breakfast was limited but very tastefull. Ask the reception for their suggestions related to restorants, we did and resulted that we had perfect food in a very close tratoria. Elevator was really small and trafic signs on the wall really helps othewise you can loose, these were the only not positive things I can say for this hotel.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Relais Hotel Centrale? Share your experiences!