“Nice hotel in Florence” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #102 of 461 Hotels in Florence
Sao Paulo, SP
“Nice hotel in Florence”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2013

My wife and I stayed 3 nights in October and came back for 2 more nights after visiting Lucca. The hotel is near the train station S.M. Novella. When we arrived the first time by train it wasn't easy to find the hotel which is located in a tiny side street. But after knowing the way the location was perfect.
Our room 101 was clean, quiet and confortable, with two steps leading up to the bathroom, an inconvenience in the mid of the night. The breakfast was good enough but some items were missing when arriving a little later.
The hotel is very central but in a quite location, perfect walking distance to everything, just a few steps from Piazza Duomo, with its many restaurants and bars in the surroundings. Other attractions such as Piazza della Signoria, Palazzo Vecchio and Uffizi Gallery can be explored on foot. When crossing the Ponte Vecchio across the Arno take a bus until Piazzale Michelangelo for a spectacular view of Florence. Then take a coffee or a drink in the late afternoon in the Caffé Scudiere in Piazza San Giovanni, behind the Duomo. For dinner there are good options and we recommend the Ciro & Sons near the hotel and Trattoria Alfredo via dei Leoni 14.
Overall, we enjoyed our stay in Florence and would recommend the Hotel Art Atelier. When visiting Florence we will certainly stay there again,

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2013

We stayed one night at the end of our 10-day trip to Tuscany. Given our past experience with hotels at this price near Santa Maria Novella, we were really surprised at the charm and poshness of this hotel. It was not easy to find by driving in our rented car. We couldn't believe the directions our GPS was giving us. (They turned out to be right, but the narrowness of the streets and the warnings that we were entering a restricted area made us doubt.) We ended up parking in the public garage underneath SMN Station and walking what ended up being a short two blocks to find this clean, stylish place down a tiny side street. Once there, we found out how to drive to the front door, from where a man from a nearby garage parked it, and for 27 Euro returned it almost immediately upon our asking for it the next day.

The public spaces are excellently maintained, and decorated in a nice balance of 1890's and contemporary style. Our large room with comfortable king bed seemed recently renovated, with up-to-the-minute marble bathroom (bidet included), and pleasant decor. Breakfast was plenty good enough, even including passable scrambled eggs. The cappuccino was from a machine, and less than bar-perfect. We would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

Writing this review a little late (visited in 2012), however having just joined TA I felt I must come and write a review for this magnificent hotel as it stands out as one of the best experiences out of any hotel I have visited in Europe. I travelled with my boyfriend for a 3 night stay, everything about this hotel was perfect. We had an outstanding room with stairs leading up to the bathroom and a separate sitting area. The room was tastefully and elegantly decorated. Breakfast was lovely, and location absolutely perfect. I would (and have) recommend this hotel to anyone, it made our stay in Florence perfect.

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

We stayed in 2 rooms at this hotel last weekend. Our floors were filthy! I requested they be cleaned and was asked to speak with someone the following morning. When I did I was informed there is only 1 housekeeping person on the weekend and she would not be able to mop the floors. The bathroom was not cleaned well either plus toilet paper and towels were not replinished in 1 of our rooms. We also removed what appeared to be the remains of a larger smashed bug on the wall. We tried to find another hotel but due to the cycling event in Florence we were not able to do so. I have emailed the manager at the hotel twice after asking to speak with him while we were there but have not received a response. While on this trip we stayed in 3 other Italian cities and were happy with all of those hotels. It is hard to believe this hotel has a 4 star rating. In addition to the poorly kept rooms, we were very disappointed in the 'breakfast buffet' and coffee via a machine (much like a vending machine) where you press a button for caffe, cappucino, etc. which returned a poor cup of coffee.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Mystic, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

We stayed in the perfect hotel in the center of everything in Florence. Mr. Giampaolo Toccafondo was extremely solicitous, making sure that we found the perfect places to eat, how to get in and around the tourist sites and how to beat the long line at the Accademia and at the Medici Tombs. His associates, Marika and Francesco were also extremely delightful and made the stay at the hotel cozy and nice. I had a small problem with my luggage and Mr. Toccafondo, Marika and Francesco sprang into action like a team of Hotel Navy Seals to make sure that everything was recovered, that our stay was superb, and that there was not a glitch in our vacation while in Florence. (I wish I could say the same about my stay in Padova). Finally, as we were on our anniversary, Mr. Toccafondo, Marika and Francesco were the perfect team to make sure that my wife and my romantic plans went without a hitch on the lovely little hotel at Via dell'ammorino (the street of the little lover?) Thank you Thank you Thank you Mr. Toccafondo and gang. I will definitely be staying here again.

Room Tip: Ask Giampaolo
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
artatelier, Responsabile reception at Hotel Art Atelier, responded to this review, September 28, 2013
Dear guest,
thank you very much for your review.
In our job is so important verify that the majority of our customer are happy and satisfy.
Hoping you can back in Florence soon I wish you all the best.

Giampaolo
Rome, Italy
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

Only 1 positive comment, that is fresh fruit available for breakfast, which is now a luxury in most Italian hotels!

Negatives, which makes me question the many positive review...:
- Shower really dirty, with mould and fungus and other strange substances all over the borders. The quantity of dirt is so much that it mustn't been cleaned for months. Toilet paper on the side in the picture shows how easily this mould could have been removed!
- Room at check in found really dirty, full of dust everywhere, carpets on sides of the bed really dirty and with disgusting stains, a bloody plaster on the floor. Dust and dirt everywhere, on top of minibar, on top of chairs, on doors of wardrobe. Complained with receptionist and with a laugh in her face she asked some handy-man to give some kind of hoovering! Is this really what cleaning is about in a 4 star hotel: hoovering! not even in hostels! Clearly hygiene and cleaningness are not a standard in this hotel.
- The bed cover was old, dirty and with a big bad torn!
- Only 1 very small shampoo container provided for all cleaning needs, and it was filled in with water! Clearly not really hygienic, as it must have been hand filled! And no soap provided whatsoever.
- Warning, room only cleaned before 3pm, so if u happen to keep your do not disturb sign until 2.30pm, your room will not be cleaned and nobody will tell you that!
- Room 208 avoid at all costs. Its beside the reception and the main elevator, good luck with the level of noise! there are 3 big stairs up to the toilet, which are then down to the room. Not comfortable in the middle of the night! Only 1 window in the room, which is directly on the main street, if you open it people see you inside, their smoke gets inside, not to mention the noise.
- complained with the director, at checkout, and was offered a mere 20euro discount which somehow ended up being added to my bill at checkout! What a cheeky attitude!
- made a written formal complain with the hotel, still they haven’t bothered replying!

Room Tip: Room 208 avoid at all costs. Its beside the reception and the main elevator, good luck with the leve...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
artatelier, Responsabile reception at Hotel Art Atelier, responded to this review, September 27, 2013
Dear Guest,
I don't understand why you are Italian and you write in English.
Also I don't understand why if we are so "dirty" you stay in our Hotel so long.
I understand now, why the manager of restaurant where we send many people was so upset with me after your lunch you had there.
I guess you are a 5 star Hotel guest and our little Hotel or a normal "Trattoria" is not enought confortable for you, dear guest.
I'm happy that a lot of other people are so happy to stay in Hotel Art Atelier and they are so kind to write about us in a different way.
Best regards. ( Distinti saluti)
Co.Cork, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

After reading the reviews my husband & I decided on this hotel for a week in florence. We wanted somewhere quiet but central and this seemed to fit the bill. I was a bit skeptical as one review said avoid room 100 and we got room 100. We were so delighted with the hotel and the room and staff and cannot fault it in anyway. I dont know why the previous guest said avoid room 100. We found it perfect. It was so quiet and all the windows had shutters to make the room dark. The bed was big, comfy and a decent king size. There shower was heaven, they had sky tv and sweets and slippers and lovely bath products in our room. The whole hotel was spotless. The staff were very helpful and decent. They went out of their way to be helpful to us. The breakfast was great and as a four star hotel for good value in a very central ( but quiet) location we cannot recommend this place enough. We were a minute from the train station, and 2 minutes from the duomo, uffizi etc. perfect walking distance to everything. We'll definiately be back and would love to see this hotel get a 5 star rating.

Room Tip: Order coffee from the staff directly in the moring and not from the automatic machine. they'll h...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Art Atelier? Share your experiences!