“Extraordinary views of Florence.” 5 of 5 stars

Torre Di Bellosguardo
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   2 Via Roti Michelozzi, 50124 Florence, Italy   |
Ranked #11 of 461 Hotels in Florence
Brooklyn, New York
“Extraordinary views of Florence.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2011

Waking up to the views of Florence from my bedroom window and enjoying quiet early-morning strolls around the grounds of Torre di Bellosguardo provided me with some of the very best memories I have of Florence - a city with no shortage of unforgettable sights. It was a perfect serene complement to the magnificent and bustling piazzas of the city center. The olive groves, outdoor hilltop pool and gardens, and nearby fields of grapevines served as constant reminder that Florence can be appreciated for its natural beauty, as much as for its architectural and artistic achievements. For me, Hotel Torre di Bellosguardo was pitch perfect. With its welcoming but unobtrusive service and its truly awe-inspiring setting, it was an integral part of an experience of a lifetime.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
Lisbon, Portugal
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2011

Hotel Torre di Bellosguardo, Florence

I was a fanatic traveller until I reached 60. Mass tourism, noisy airports and laziness conspired to invite me to lead a more sedentary life. It was my husband Antonio who forced me out, when he saw me on the Internet attempting to find out whether the church with the Lippo Lippi frescos at Prato – which I had wanted to see in 2001 to no effect – had been restored. Since the answer was affirmative, he convinced me to take a 10 days holidays in nearby Florence.
On the advice of a friend, I booked the Belloguardo. I was not entirely happy since the hotel was not in the middle of the town as I had wished, but all my reservations disappeared when I saw the statue over the door and then our room. Not only had it «a view», but it was splendid. Even before checking the shower, I spent minutes, or hours, admiring the sunset's light and reflection over the Duomo. It sounds corny, but there was I, happy as a lark.
Only later did I discover the pedigree which explains the genius loci: the tower had been built in the XIII century for the Dante´s friend Guido Cavalcanti and later was the residence of the Marquises Roti Michelozzi. In the 1920`s, it was bought by the Baroness von Hornstein-Franchetti, whose descendent Amerigo is its current owner.
But the history of the building is not the most relevant factor for a traveller, so let´s concentrate on its amenities. Besides the view, the gardens are lovely, there is a secret path which puts one near Porta Romana in 15 minutes and, for those who like it, a swimming pool. Not being a typical tourist there are several other things which have pleased me: the bed mattress was hard, there was ample space downstairs to write and, most importantly, the bulbs of the lamps were strong enough to read in a comfortable position. When I visit a place, I enjoy reading about it, but had never, ever, found the right lighting in a hotel. Were it not so cumbersome, I would have put a bulb in my suitcase, but since I already travel with my pillow decided that enough was enough.
I knew beforehand that the hotel served no food except breakfasts, but since there are so many good restaurants in Florence this does not constitute a problem. The taxis are on ample supply and the reception´s staff deals with it efficiently. Two days before we left, I met Ana, the owner's wife, a nice and kind person, whom to my surprise, was a Portuguese. Only on the night before our departure did we meet the owner, a self effacing and extremely nice gentleman who does everything he can to maintain a high level of comfort for those who are privileged enough to have a room ( there are only 16). My only reservation regards the monstrous flies, so anyone travelling during the Summer months ought to take an insect repellent with him. My room had air conditioning but since the view was so amazing I insisted on having the window open after dark, with nasty effects on my arms and legs. Apparently, in northern Italy this is what happens. But even this nuisance did not stop me from enjoying the visit.
14.10. 2011
[---]

Room Tip: Select those with a view over Florence!
Scituate,Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2011

The hotel of the beautiful view (as it translates in Italian) is more than just a view,it is an experience thay you will never forget. My husband and I made some great memories here last month. We want to warn you that this is a location that dates back to 1300 ,and is not a Four Seasons type of facility. But as our cab driver said (in his best English) " I have brought you to heaven". The hotel is privately owned and they live on the grounds. The staff is very polite,friendly, and speak excellent English. When you walk in you will realize that this is indeed hundreds of years old, as the massive sitting room lobby and the adjacent rooms look and feel like you were transported back in time. During the day it is wonderful to stroll the manuicured grounds and enjoy the babbling of water in various fountains and gardens. The hotel rooms themselves are nearly as they might have been a few centuries ago ( with more modern and cheerful bathrooms of course). Be advised that you on the top of a hill ,and if you are not up to the exercise, than a taxi will be needed (they are easy to get). Florence is a small city and you can walk to most of it with ease if you like. The hotel has a breakfast buffet and full bar service.. So guests usually go out to lunch and dinner (which was fine with us,as Florence has all types of restaurants). To us all 5 star hotels seem alike and most are forgettable. We will never forget Bellosguardo.

Frankfurt, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2011

This is not a hotel, it is a dream come true. The family run typical tuscan villa dates back to the middle ages and is carefully restored keeping its personality intact and combining it with modern comfort. A magic place!

There is no such view onto Florence but the one of Bellosguardo. Even Piazzale Michelangelo -often described as the best view on Florence - is second to this. That is true not only for the magnificent large and quiet garden, the splendid pool but also for most of the rooms (being individually furnished with antiques).

We spent four days in October 2011 there and were delighted: such an intense athmosphere, absolute calm and peace. The staff being ever caring and so helpful. The breakfast on the large and sunny loggia was the perfect start in the day. Homemade marmelade!

Reaching the hotel for the first time might be a little adventurous if you drive yourself; arriving by taxi is advisable and comfortable. The city center can be reached by a pleasant and inspiring walk in 10-15 Minutes (i.e. the livly quarter around piazza del camine) We walked to the Uffici in about 20 Minutes and enjoy every Minute.

Room Tip: The view makes the big difference: there are some rooms without, some with view in the stunning tusc...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2011

I recently returned from spending 2 nights at Hotel Torre di Bellosguardo. For one year I studied in Firenze (1992-93) and never during my time there had I visited the Bellosguardo neighborhood nor hotel. The view is the most magnificent in the entire city, and the accommodations comfortable, authentic, and tranquil.
Perhaps the most favorite part of my stay at Bellowsguardo was my daily walk down the path in their olive grove to town, down by the Porta Romana, where you are able to either continue walking towards the city center, or can instead stroll Pzzle Michelangelo all the way to the 2nd best view (and formerly my favorite in all of Florence), located at La Chiesa di San Miniato.
If you are looking for peace and tranquility, but close proximity to Florence, you need look no further. The owner, Amerigo Franchetti, is kind, generous, and accomodating, along with the other staff members, and the food is delicious. While there is no restaurant for dinner, you are able to order off a limited menu if you should decide to stay in one night for supper, and the food they serve is very good.
In short, the Bellosguardo is nothing short of heaven. I certainly look forward to returning and it will be where I stay in the future.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2011

Bellosguardo is by far one of the most exquiste stays I have had the wonderful pleasure to experience. Throughout many international travels this has superceded in so many ways. The grand Villa brings you back to the essence of Florence, where you can feel the culture and take in the restored frescos, the incredible garden room, the antiquity of old world elegance that is found in every turn. Opening the wooden shutters in our room to a specatacular view that spills across the beauty of Florence's city and from the back window a garden view like no other encompassing stone walls, flowering vines, romantic walkways and a serene babbling brook. Everything is beyond tasteful, a simple elegant pool and comfortable rooms with all the luxuries you need. A lovely back walk through the hills of Florence takes you into the outside reaches of the city of Florence. A cozy bar to nestle in and have a nightcap finished our evenings. We had a lot of sites to see in our trip to Florence but next time we just want to stay in Bellosguardo and never leave!

Room Tip: The room with the gorgeous canopy bed with a phenomenol view of the Duomo and back view of the garde...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Belflorence, Owner at Torre Di Bellosguardo, responded to this review, October 19, 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your enthusiastic review. You make our work totally worthwhile. We hope to welcome you again.
Dubai
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2011

We first fell in love with Bellosguardo 14 years ago when we were invited to brunch by a hotel guest. The stunning gardens, beautifully restored villa and show stopping views took our breath away. At the time, my boyfriend and I were grad students who couldn't afford to stay in the hotel but loved it so much that we dreamt about one day getting married there.

Having never forgotten this uniquely beautiful place, we had the privilege of exchanging our vows last May in front of our family and loved ones in the lemon garden at Torre di Bellosguardo. It really was the most romantic setting.

In particular, the owners (Ana and Amerigo) and their staff made us and our guests feel like it was our home. No request was too big or too small. They did everything they could to make our wedding and stay at the hotel run as smoothly as possible. Our family and wedding guests to this day still comment on how wonderful and special our wedding day was– a fact attributed to all the hard work and care shown by the owners and staff to make us and our guests feel special.

We have since gone back to Bellosguardo to stay and always feel like we are coming home. We love getting out of the chaos of Florence's historical centre (esp in the hot busy summer) and enjoy the serenity of the villa and its grounds. We've been lucky enough to see all of the hotel's bedrooms. Each one is uniquely decorated with antiques, frescoes and inlaid wood panels. It is true, that some bedrooms/bathrooms are larger than others so if that is important to you, you should check in advance with the hotel before reserving. They are also mindful of guests concerns. For ex., they are currently introducing air conditioning to all of the rooms.
Hands down, Bellosguardo has the best views of Florence and just might have one of the best views anywhere in the world. Nothing beats this place as the sun is setting and the bells of Florence are ringing in the background. The villa and surrounding grounds really are magical.

We consider it a privilege to stay and to have been married in this beautiful 14th century villa. It is our home away from home in Florence and we are always welcomed as such.

You will be hard pressed to find a place that has as much soul, history and beauty in all of Italy. We consider anyone who stays here to be very fortunate indeed.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Torre Di Bellosguardo? Share your experiences!