“Give this a miss” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #204 of 220 attractions in Florence
Type: History Museums
More attraction details
Attraction Details
Owner description: Casa di Dante, a restored medieval house similar to Dante's birthplace, also serves as a museum recording the life and times of this famous poet.
London
6 attraction reviews
“Give this a miss”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

unless you want to experience an 'attraction' devoid of creativity or any attempt to catch the attention of the visitor, let alone inform or educate. I wanted to do something new in Florence, this was on my list. I also thought it would be a place to learn about Dante and his life and times. I left frustrated and disappointed having wasted my time and €4. Don't be tempted.

Visited January 2013

Reading, PA
294 attraction reviews
2,826 helpful votes 2,826 helpful votes
“If you run out of things to do”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

First of all, it was not really Dante's house, since he never lived there. It is in the vicinity where he apparently lived and in the area of the church where he supposedly first spied the "love of his life" - Beatrice. Second, there is just a hodge podge of "stuff" with no real theme and the labelling is very poor. I cannot really say I would recommend spending my euros here.

Visited January 2013
Chicago, Illinois
50 attraction reviews
“Not Enough Dante...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2012

The Museum that now exists inside Dante's is really nothing much to see. There is very little of Dante's actual life on display and the museum focuses more on the politics and strife found in the city during Dante's lifetime. Quite frankly, for 4 Euro, I've seen much, much better museums in Bologna and Rome.

Visited October 2012
“Give it a miss!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2012 via mobile

Having spent a lot of time in Florence, one of the few things I had never done was to visit the 'Casa di Dante'. It was at the bottom of my list of places to see and would advise anyone in a similar position to just scratch it off the bottom of their list and spend the entry price on a nice cup of coffee in a nearby square and watch the world go by! As other reviewers have stated (how I wish I had listened!), the house contains very little, and virtually nothing which can be traced back to Dante in reality. I can't even imagine it is of interest to a Dante enthusiast either, as what there is is poorly displayed and probably of no interest to anyone with specialist knowledge either.

Columbus, Ohio
13 attraction reviews
“Skip this, Dante didn't even live here!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

First and foremost, Dante did not live here! We didn't find that out until after we had paid admission and were already inside. It had a lot of interesting information about Dante so it wasn't a complete waste of time, but I would rather have spent time in another attraction (like one that was included in our Firenze card!), hanging out in a piazza or having a longer lunch. We visited Rembrandt's House in Amsterdam, and he actually did live there and the house was incredible. We thought this would be somewhat similar to that but Dante did not live here and it was just a collection of artifacts and information that was in a house that didn't really even show you what it would have looked like to live in during the time period. Unless you just absolutely have to absorb everything Dante, skip this one!

Visited August 2012