“fabulous hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #36 of 461 Hotels in Florence
Boca Raton, Florida
“fabulous hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

The Savoy was beyond our expectations. From the moment we arrived, the staff could not do enough for us. Our room overlooked the Piazza and was extremely comfortable. We had dinner at the restaurant one night during our stay and it was well worth it. The breakfast buffet each morning was terrific as well.

the only issue one may have if your room overlooks the sqaure is the noise at night; however, typically it was quite by 11 pm.

We would definetely stay at this hotel again and recommend to anyone visiting Florence.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Kuwait City, Kuwait
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

great hotel, with a very nice outdoor cafe where you pretty much see everyone in Florence, all shopping and major tourist attractions are within a 10 min walk, small rooms for the price charged, level of service excellent, rooms modern and clean, this is the place to stay if its within your budget and would like to experience the city of Florence

5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2013

This is definitely a great hotel to check in at if you are going to Florence. The location is perfect, close to the main sights of Florence (The Duomo, Palazzo Vecchio, Ponte Vecchio and the Uffizi Gallery). The service is flawless, very helpful if you are looking for a cab or if you want to make a reservation at a restaurant, or trying to find a place on the map (actually for any kind of information). The cultural heritage of this city, the sun and the buffet made my breakfast experience one to remember. My room was not facing the piazza, but I had a nice view on the top of the Duomo. A lot of shopping spots in the area (Luisa Via Roma is a minute away, also the Ferragamo Palace is close-by). I would go back anytime!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Santa Barbara, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

Excellent location. The breakfast buffet was delicious. Service was impeccable, everyone was very friendly and helpful. I stayed here with my two teenage kids and it was a perfect hotel for the three of us.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2013

The location is excellent. Our room had a small balcony that directly overlooked the Duomo. The room was fairly spacious, and also comfortable and quiet. The service was friendly and professional.
We got a good rate as well as the extensive, delicious breakfast buffet, by booking through Leaders' Club.
It is not inexpensive, but I definitely would love to stay at the Savoy again the next time I am in Florence.

Room Tip: Our corner room in the back (away from the Piazza) was quiet and had a great view of the Duomo from...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2013 via mobile

I am currently staying at the hotel. Its location is amazing right in the middle of everything. But that's the only good thing I can say about this hotel (also, laundry and pressing and food is delivered quickly).

What I didn't like: rooms; my family and I found insects crawling on their beds. Mosquitoes in the bathroom. The rooms are TINY. Windows do not have extra glazing. So everything that happens in the piazza outside you can hear inside. Everything said in the hallway outside your room you can hear too.

There is no spa at the hotel. And worst of all, you have to pay for wifi (100 euros for a week) - who asks to pay for wifi at current 5 star hotels? And worst of all, the wifi comes and goes as it pleases ! I stayed on the 5th floor and I'd move in my tiny room and lose connection.

• Stayed June 2013
EJJL, General Manager at Hotel Savoy, responded to this review, June 12, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback. I am happy you enjoyed our location and found our service speedy however I am concerned to read your additional comments to which I wish to respond.

The most unusual rainy weather of recent months has indeed caused for a sudden increase in insects in the region and it suffices to have the window open only for a moment for them to enter; having said that our housekeeping team ensures there are no insects whatsoever during the twice daily service and are most efficient in response to any reporting.

Our room sizes vary per category and we would be pleased to have the opportunity to show you the alternatives on a future occasion. Please note all our rooms have double glazing, shutters and thick curtains which exclude most part of the liveliness of our square from the room. We also have rooms on the calmer Duomo facing side of the town. Our high spec internet is provided by Ibahn and has proven reliable. On the rare occasion that we have a technical problem, my team is empowered to handle this appropriately.

I remain puzzled, disappointed and much regret to read that the matters you described were not resolved during your stay and I can only hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back and find a suitable room category for you and provide you with our usual fine service experience.

Yours sincerely,

Edward Leenders
scottsdale, az
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

Just stayed for 3 nights at this hotel. Pros's and con's below. Bottom line, it is nice, definitely not great, does not feel 5 star to me, expensive, great location right in the middle of the old Florence, would not stay there again.

Pros: We had a 3 night stay at Savoy. Location is fantastic, short walking distance to everything. Front desk staff is super helpful, friendly, they really want to try an make you happy. Concierge and door men are very nice, super willing to help and assist with anything you may need. Breakfast is quite good, fresh fruits, great selection of homemade pastries, fresh cheeses and cold cut meats, attentive wait staff. I complained about our room being so tiny, and the day manager could not have been more courteous and caring and professional, offering to upgrade us on our last night to an executive suite if we would stay in our room 1 more night due to a full hotel. She was great, and I would encourage anyone who can afford it to stay in the executive suite which is quite nice size with a big bathroom and sitting areas (2). I would not, however, stay here again if I had to stay in the Deluxe Double, as it is just way too small.

Cons: The regular and deluxe double rooms (or single rooms also) are quite small, and the bathrooms are TINY-2 people cannot fit in the Deluxe Double that we had, and the stand alone shower is so small that you must open the door just to turn around in the shower, or you will smash into it. This hotel is quite old, and the wear and tear is showing- and I was told it was refurbished "10-12 years ago". That may be true, but is still old, with dirty air registers, and the old ( not antique) floor moldings. The bedroom area is also tiny, if two people are staying there with luggage, you will be tripping over it. I did not think the hotel website pictures properly showed the room, I am sure a professional photographer took the pictures to make the rooms look bigger, but they are small. The bathroom depicted in the hotel website picture was NOT the bathroom in our room-ours was a different color and so itsy bitsy small that it was annoying.

EJJL, General Manager at Hotel Savoy, responded to this review, June 12, 2013
Dear Guests,

Thank you for sharing your experience. I am very pleased to see you enjoyed the service experience, breakfast and your stay in our suite, however I regret to read your disappointment on some points.

Our hotel first opened its doors late 18th century and has indeed undergone an extensive refurbishment and reopened in 2000. Ever since, our maintenance team has proudly kept up the fine work whilst our design team ensures bits and pieces are updated continuously. We have noted your comment on the air vent and although after double checking it turns out this was an isolated laps, we have increased the frequency of the deep cleaning of the air vents to prevent any reoccurrence. I am grateful you have pointed it out.

Whilst the time in which the hotel was built shows by many period features in its design, it also created many different room layouts and categories. On a future occasion I will be very happy to show you the different rooms. Meanwhile you can find a detailed room description on our website.

As relayed by my team during your stay, we are sorry you were disappointed about certain elements of your experience and hope that these matters will not overshadow your overall memory as we much hope we may welcome you back and find the most suitable room for you.

Yours sincerely,

Edward Leenders

Been to Hotel Savoy? Share your experiences!