“Great staff, great location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Hermitage

You added Hotel Hermitage to your Saves list
Hotel Hermitage
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Vicolo Marzio 1 | Piazza del Pesce, 50122 Florence, Italy   |
Ranked #59 of 461 Hotels in Florence
London, United Kingdom
“Great staff, great location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Just back from a two-night break in Florence with my wife and toddler daughter. Hotel Hermitage is superbly located, sandwiched between the Ponte Vecchio and Uffizi Gallery - arguably the top two attractions in the city - so it couldn't be much better from that point of view.

Our room was spacious with good facilities and nice furnishings. Little touches like branded note pads and even complimentary desktop calendars for 2015 caught the eye. Elsewhere in the hotel, there was also a very pleasant lounge area and a roof terrace with good views which must be a joy to have breakfast on in warmer months.

To top it all, the staff throughout the hotel couldn't have been more friendly and helpful and made us feel at home straight away, really fussing over my daughter. Any questions I had either before arrival or during my stay were swiftly answered and there was a real feel that nothing was too much trouble.

The only downside I can think of was the accessibility of the place. If you are a wheelchair user or have serious walking difficulties then this hotel isn't for you as you have to climb an initial set of stairs to reach the lift/elevator. This is then also quite small so if you have a child with a buggy/stroller then you might have to take a couple of goes to get your whole party up to the floor your room is on. However, don't let this put you off as we managed fine and would return without hesitation.

Overall, it's a three-star hotel but so much better - give it a go!

• Stayed December 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
  • Czech first
Katy TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 2 weeks ago

Hotel Hermitage was centeraly located in Florence, clean, fantastic service and a good breakfast provided to start your day. Close to all the tourist attractions and an easy walk to restaurants and shopping. The rooms were a bit small by American standards but quaint and clean and everything we needed for our visit. The bathrooms are well appointed, clean and surprisingly roomy. There are no complaints and we have traveled worldwide. The staff are friendly and helpful. A great value if you are looking for a centeraly located hotel.

Room Tip: The courtyard side of the hotel could get noisy but I'm not sure the street side would be better...
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled with family
Philadelphia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2014

this hotel is located less than a block from Ponte Vecchio and a short walk to Uffizi gallery. We enjoyed an evening drink on the rooftop patio overlooking the town. Enjoying the sound of church bells while sipping wine was a delight. A great staff that was helpful and pleasant..Our room was small but very adequate and clean.. Would stay there again on our next trip to Florence

• Stayed October 2014, traveled with friends
Raleigh, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2014

We stayed for 5 nights in October. The location cannot be beat. Easy walking distance to most attractions and the staff was very friendly and helpful. We also liked the breakfast that was provided every morning and even ordered American bacon and eggs one day. (It was a nice treat) We needed a very early taxi to catch our flight to Paris and the staff arranged this without flaw and even brought a breakfast tray the night before with juice and water and biscuits. Very thoughtful. Would definitely stay here again. (Reviews stating this is a noisy location are right on. It is but we just got over it)

• Stayed October 2014, traveled with friends
Norfolk, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2014

We returned after 35 years and stayed 5 nights. We were not disappointed! The hotel is in a fantastic location, very close to the Ponte Vecchio with some rooms overlooking it and within walking distance of every monument in the city and of the train station. All the public rooms are pretty, elegant and comfortable. The staff, both on the desk and in the breakfast room, are extremely helpful, polite and smiling. Nothing is too much trouble. They go out of their way to help with advice, directions etc. and offers to get taxis if needed. All staff speak excellent English, so understanding is not an issue. The steps at the front of the hotel are no problem if you are able bodied and the lift is small but again this is no problem. Staff are on hand to help with luggage etc if needed. Our room was small, as was the shower room, but the fantastic views of the Ponte Vecchio more than made up for it. It was very noisy all night long but once we accepted that we had to have the window shut and the air con on, we were not bothered by the noise. The roof terrace is a huge added bonus. Go up there at any time just to read or have a drink or coffee sent up. This is a wonderful home from home haven and we would not stay anywhere else.

Room Tip: Go for room with view of Ponte Vecchio, close windows and turn on a/c
  • Stayed October 2014, traveled as a couple
Bellingham, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2014

This hotel is my ultimate favorite. For some reason the first time I came it automatically felt like home. Extremely kind staff. Absolutely love them. Beautiful room. Great bathroom and view. Pointe Vicchio is directly out the window. It's beautiful. Honestly one of my favorite places on earth!

Room Tip: Lower floors allow you to avoid the lift!
  • Stayed October 2014, traveled solo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2014 via mobile

I stayed here for a week earlier this month.
First off, the location is absolutely perfect. It's right near the Ponte Vecchio so it's really convenient. I found myself ducking back to the hotel throughout the day to drop things off, refresh myself, etc.

My room was nice. Not overly spacious due to the double bed (which was actually two singles pushed together) taking up a lot of the space but as I was on my own it was certainly enough space for me. The bathroom was HUGE! It's definitely the biggest bathroom I've had in any hotel in Italy. There was even a bath! The room was clean and well appointed. My room overlooked a little square/church. This was actually quite noisy. There were concerts on a lot of nights at the church and people arriving and leaving were really noisy. On nights when there weren't concerts I still found it noisy with people talking as they walked through the square. In fact, there was almost always a lot of noise coming in from the square. Basically, the windows are not very thick or soundproof. Wasn't a major bother to me but it might bother some.

Staff here were all really friendly and welcoming. It was a pleasure to deal with all of them.

The terrace is really cool. If you stay here you must go up to relax after a full day of tourist activities. You can hear the buzz of the tourists down in the street below but you're up in this peaceful little garden. It's really nice. It also has a very good view of the Ponte Vecchio.

Breakfast was more than sufficient for my needs. Probably not a great selection but it was really fine for me. And you can order proper espresso coffee - not a coffee machine that you have to use yourself! The breakfast lady is really friendly and efficient. After day one she remembered my coffee order which is always a nice touch. The breakfast room is really nice too.

I saw another review that mentions the stairs at the entry. Yes there are some stairs (about 10 I think). I had to haul my luggage up them but once I got it there it was fine. The stairs were honestly not a problem for me but if you aren't very mobile then I guess it's worth factoring these in to your considerations. After those initial stairs you can take the elevator to your room floor.

Would I stay here again? Most definitely.

Stayed October 2014, traveled solo

Been to Hotel Hermitage? Share your experiences!