“Wonderful staff; wonderful place” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Package Deal
Ranked #18 of 461 hotels in Florence
Concord, Massachusetts
“Wonderful staff; wonderful place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

The Hotel Casci was recommended to us by my brother, and it did not disappoint. Paolo and his staff were incredibly accommodating, attentive, friendly, and helpful. They worked very hard to make our stay as good as it could possibly be. Some highlights:

Paolo was able to get us last-minute reservations (only 24 hours in advance, at the height of the tourist season) to the Accademia and to the Uffizi.

The breakfast was a delightful way to start each morning. I noted one reviewer said that the woman serving breakfast didn't even smile - obviously I cannot speak to his experience, but we found both of the women serving breakfast to be very charming and friendly, despite the language barrier. They came out to say good-bye and offer handshakes when we left. And the food - fresh fruit, pastry, yogurt, bread, juice, coffee / tea / chocolate - was more than adequate.

The location is outstanding - out the front door, 1.5 blocks to the Duomo; or maybe 3 blocks to the Accademia if you go the other way. You're in the heart of it all, which made the walk home at night (after some truly excellent dinners) part of the fun of the trip.

The rooms are neat, clean, sizeable, offer all the amenities one could need, and although we were on the front of the building overlooking the street, plenty quiet at night and in the morning.

Overall, the Hotel Casci has a wonderful charm to it. Paolo and his staff work incredibly hard, but you get the sense that they enjoy their work, and enjoy doing whatever they can to help you enjoy your stay in Florence. I don't recall often (or ever) having such positive feelings about a hotel and its staff as we did upon checkout from Hotel Casci.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple

1,840 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
San Rafael, California
1,010 helpful votes 1,010 helpful votes
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

We arrived in Florence without a hotel reservation after coming in via train from Lake Como. We were tired and hungry, so my husband got my kids lunch and gelato at a restaurant near The Duomo Cathedral Basilica di Santa Maria del Fiore as I went to look at Hotel Casi after calling them and getting the green light that they had a room that would fit our family.

I had found the hotel using the “Hotels Near me Now” feature on TripAdvisor on my iPhone.

The hotel was just a few blocks down the street. I passed several other hotels and even looked inside a few. They were all similar in quality and in character. Older and charming. When I got to hotel Cassi I had to go through a dark hallway in the entry to a small elevator. I actually walked away, then went to the hotel across the street, then walked back and went up the elevator.

Many elevators are tiny like this in Europe as they maintain the structure of the older buildings. I guess I was just a little put off by the entry as it wasn’t as clearly marked like other hotels with a reception on the bottom floor.

However, after coming up the elevator, I walked up to a closed door that was full of stickers on the outside proclaiming various prestigious industry awards, including the logo(s) for TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence. Seeing that reassured me, and I remembered all the great reviews I had read and the high ranking of this hotel.

I opened the door and was greeted by a tall friendly man. The lobby was eclectic, with bookshelves full of various tourist books. To one side was a dining room, to the other was a cafe bar area. I let the man know that I was the woman who just talked to him about the possibility of staying in the “family room”.

He swiftly brought me down a maze of hallways and stairs, and showed me several options, two smaller separate rooms, and one extra large room with connecting bedrooms and a shared large shared bathroom.

I snapped a few photos and let the man know that I would call him shortly to let him know if we were going to take the rooms.

I went back to my husband to explain the situation. I let my husband know that the room and the hotel were a bit eclectic feeling with a small elevator and a maze of hallways to get to the room. He asked if I liked it, and I replied that I did, so he said, then let’s get it!

I was very glad we stayed here. The location was fabulous! It was very central, so it was easy to get to the main attractions. Also, there were plenty of restaurants and gelato shops all around. I think the only real turn off was the entry was very dark, and the hotel was a bit “funky” but in a charming way.

After staying here, we started to look for similar types of hotels, that were more unique and not so cookie cutter as the chain hotels.

While we were here the staff was super friendly. The room was sparkling clean. We appreciated the extra towels and amenities that they brought us.

As other reviews have mentioned the breakfast, I want to note there was plenty of food for the guests. However as far as we could tell the only eggs that were served were hard boiled eggs. I’m personally not a fan of hard boiled eggs, but there was fresh fruit and lots of other items. We felt the breakfast was a bonus anyway, considering the price, it was a bargain that breakfast was included.

I also noticed a few reviewers had mentioned the towels as a negative. Personally I loved them, and I am super picky. The bathroom was really feminine and uniquely decorated. I thought it was very pretty and felt like luxurious vintage with the design and dainty detailing.

The whole hotel felt unique and I loved the family owned and family and friends operation of it. We enjoyed talking to the two managers there ~ both really friendly and helpful.

On TripAdvisor this hotel ranks up really high, but for hotel ratings in Italy it is listed as a 2 star, after touring around in Europe for a month this time, as well as touring Europe numerous other times in the past few years, I can honestly say that this hotel felt much more like a 3 star hotel. Also, it was extremely clean. The rooms were spacious, the dining room was charming. It’s just quaint, not grand. It didn’t offer a luxurious lobby and reception, but for the price it was more than worth it. And for the record, I am over with being impressed with big fancy lobbies. For instance we stayed at a Ritz Carlton in Berlin, Germany on this trip. While the Ritz offered a stunning lobby and common areas that were grand and full of expensive chandeliers and waiting sofas, the 2 rooms we rented at The Ritz were about equal in size, quality and cleanliness as the one large room at The Hotel Casi. Also, believe it or not.. the service at the hotel Casi was better than at the Ritz.

After this last long vacation in July I am now totally sold on finding these small family run hotels rather than the enormous chain hotels. I would rather spend the money on nice meals and entertainment than on “being impressed by a fancy lobby” that I won’t be hanging out in anyway.

So... if you feel the same, I believe you will not be disappointed booking here.

If you thought this review was helpful please check the little button that says so, it just makes me feel good to know I am helping fellow travelers. Good luck and enjoy your travels!

Room Tip: We had a large family style room in the back with one large bed and 3 single beds in two bedrooms w...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Leeds
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

We stayed here for 3 nights and were very happy. It is a great central location, we were advised where to go and what to see and the breakfast was plentiful and good. It is not the best hotel I have ever stayed in but you pay for what you get and I was very happy.

Stayed July 2014
Olney, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW via mobile

Loved our room, loved the huge windows, didn't mind the street noise...we wee staying florence steps from some of the richest history in Europe! And rooms were very clean. Staff was great, sooo helpful with making good recommendations for food, reservations when necessary, good breakfast! I highly recommend.

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago NEW

I agree with Doc_Di2014...reviews are great but the place didn't fit the reviews. Yes, the staff at the front desk were super nice. The older lady who ran the breakfast was ok, she never smiled or greeted us. The lady who served the cappuccinos and tea was really sweet. I appreciate the front desk gentleman who was able to handle my Father's request for a new room with a better view. That was greatly appreciated. However, not everything is great about this place. First, breakfast was very mediocre as was the cappuccino (from a machine). 2nd, rooms were so ancient looking and the bed was way too hard and linens were horrible! The bathrooms and towels were not the best. I didn't like the towels but I can deal with that however, at least give us a couple more to use for our faces and hands. Lastly, I didn't really appreciate not getting good advise regarding the Galleria. The front desk booked us a tour at the Uffizi which was very much needed due to the crazy crowds. He said the tours for Galleria were sold out and we are pretty much out of luck to see the David. But after some research on TA, I read that if you visit the Galleria 1.5 or 2 hours prior to closing, you will definitely get in as most everyone is leaving at that time. There really isn't much to see there so no need to plan a full day at the Galleria. Anyhow, I was a bit disappointed by the front desk people telling me I was out of luck since I didn't buy their tour guide in advance. What a joke. I wouldn't stay here again for my next visit, but I wouldn't tell anyone to not stay here intentionally as it was perfectly located near the Duomo.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
Casci, Manager at Hotel Casci, responded to this review, 6 days ago
First of all thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to write a review. We are happy to learn that these guests have enjoyed our location and our friendliness and are sorry that they were not happy with some other aspects of their stay.
Our breakfast is served in a fresco decorated room and is a reinforced continental buffet style, including toasts, soft and hard boiled eggs, home made yogurt, cereals, fruit juices, fresh fruit depending on the day (today we had bananas, plums, peaches, apricots, red watermelon, white and yellow melons, pineapple, apples and oranges), cheese, salami, ham, fresh croissants, home made cakes, different kinds of bread, etc., plus of course coffee, tea, cappuccino, hot chocolate as much as clients like - it is true, our cappuccino and coffee is served from a machine, that is exactly the same like a bar machine (Cimbali), except that it is key operated and not hand operated, so that anyone (not just an attendant) can operate it - coffee, especially, is grinded and brewed every single time and in fact many and many guests and reviewers on Tripadvisor mention how nice it is ...
A vast number of our rooms (16 out of 24) have been refurbished over the last two winters and plans are ahead for the remaining ones to be done next winter - as these guests stayed with us in April, we cannot recall which room they had, however, they could have mentioned they did not like it, just as they have done with their father's - the same with mattresses (which are quite new), if clients mention they feel them hard, we can change them or add extra ones to make them softer - whilst the towels are thin cotton type, they are very absorbent and in fact often guests ask where they can buy them. However, we also have some fluffy towels at disposal, if clients would just ask for them or for extra ones.
Whilst we are happy to learn that these guests have found our staff to be nice and friendly, we are sorry to hear that there has been a mishap about the Accademia Gallery. Now, upon making the hotel reservation, we always inform our guests that we can make museum reservations for them, either for entrance only or for guided tours - many and many guests take advantage of this opportunity. However, some either forget to tell us or tell us too late, when it is impossible to make the museum reservations - in such cases we usually inform the guests that it usually possible to avoid long queues either by going at opening time (i.e. 815am) or in the late afternoon (5-6pm) - again, we cannot recall what happened back in April, but we are sorry if this was not made clear to these guests.
We always try our best to help and please everybody, especially if issues or problems are raised straight away over here and can be solved - of course we cannot expect to reach such goal at all times, but at least we give it a try and most people appreciate that and are happy - and that is the best reward for us !!
Paolo Lombardi - Manager - Hotel Casci
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

I read the reviews on this hotel and was impressed by everyone's lovely comments about the nice staff. They were, indeed, very friendly and helpful, and the breakfast was good.

I stayed in a single, so other rooms might be different, but the bed was as hard as a camp bunkbed, the room was very noisy, and it was a tiny, tiny space. I'm not all that picky, but the thin, hard mattress and noise made it impossible to sleep. The third night I broke down and took a sleeping pill.

For all the lovely qualities of this hotel, and there certainly were some, if you are looking for a single--do not stay here. There are many other options in this city. I won't stay here again.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
Casci, Manager at Hotel Casci, responded to this review, 1 week ago
We would like to thank this former guest of ours for staying with us and for the time spent writing a review.
We are happy to learn that this lady found our staff to be friendly and helpful and that she enjoyed our buffet breakfast. At the same time, we are sorry to hear that she found her single room to be small and noisy and the mattress to be hard.
First of all, maybe the lady is more used to luxury hotels like the one she stayed at in Genoa - as everyone knows, ours instead is a family managed hotel, proud to be small, clean and cozy, with a very informal atmosphere, where we like our guests to feel friends and not clients. Our establishment spreads over a very large floor of two ancient buildings and as a result our rooms vary in size - it is true that single rooms in general in Italy are not that large, however, the one this lady was accomodated in boasts a major plus as it has a small balcony overlooking an inside garden and in fact we have many repeated visitors who come back and ask to be accomodated in such a room.
In three days, it would have very easy for this lady to mention that she was not satisfied - we happily and readily answered to all her questions (for instance she was not sure if a particular tour was really worth taking part to, we also located together the house of an English writer who lived in Florence), at the same time it would have been surely easy for us to change her room maybe the following day and/or to add another mattress to make it softer (we have just done so today for some other guests) - the lady went away saying nothing but thanking us and it really hurts and makes us sorry that she did not even give us the chance to make her stay nicer, just because we did not know.
Anyhow, we like to take this opportunity to thank all the guests for their time in writing their reviews - any comment and suggestions we receive is very important to us. Thankfully, the vast majority of our guests like staying with us and that is most rewarding for us too !!
Paolo Lombardi - Manager - Hotel Casci
Bothell, Washington, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 1 week ago

After being crammed into a very small flat in Paris, the rooms at Hotel Casci felt absolutely luxurious! Our room (a triple) had tons of room, comfortable beds with plenty of cosy linens, and easy to use and robust air-conditioning (which is absolutely key in the Florence heat!)

The bathroom was fabulous - the shower had great pressure, and I saw someone else mentioned the towels: they are like a waffle-weave bathrobe and they are excellent. I'm thinking about getting some like that for my bathroom at home!

The staff were nice, helpful and professional. The women who make the breakfast in the morning were delightful and made us cappuccinos to order every morning! The breakfast was also wonderful, with many options to choose from.

The hotel was very close to the city center, literally two blocks from the Duomo, so it was easy to walk to all the sights. Wi-Fi was free and easily accessible, and the staff was happy to watch over our bags when we arrived before check-in - a big plus!

I can't think of any drawbacks to staying at Hotel Casci; it is truly an amazing value and we're so glad we stayed here!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family

Been to Hotel Casci? Share your experiences!