“We rubbed the boar's nose, we must come back...” 5 of 5 stars

Book ahead on Viator
Skip the Line
$81*
and up
Skip the Line: Florence Duomo with...
Ranked #5 of 214 Attractions in Florence
Type: Historic Sites, Landmarks/ Points of Interest, Cultural
Activities: City walk sightseeing
More attraction details
Owner description: This large city square contains the Basilica of Santa Maria del Fiore, the third largest cathedral in the world after St. Peter's in Rome and St. Paul's in London.
Worcester, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
“We rubbed the boar's nose, we must come back...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

I last came to Florence about 17 years ago as a teenager and adored it. Returning now but with my husband and our two young children, I wondered whether I might be disappointed.

I was surprised by what I remembered so clearly (the station) and by what I'd forgotten (the duomo). Because of forgetting about the enormity of the Duomo, I had the joy of a new visitor in turning around a corner and being blown away by it. It is simply spectacular architecture, hugely grand, beautiful and as many emphatics as I can think of. We arrived at early lunchtime and the children were getting hungry so we stopped in a restaurant on the piazza to have lunch. We had wanted to avoid such a central lunch as past experience has taught us central locations go hand in hand with bad food and high prices but this wasn't the case. Lunch really wasn't prohibitively expensive and it was such deliciously good Italian food. It was hot but they had jets that shot out cool water sprays over the tables which worked well at keeping us all cool (Thankfully my hair was frizzy anyway but I might not have been so keen if I'd freshly straightened my hair that day!). We didn't go into the duomo or campanile because the queues were too long and we assumed neither were particularly child-friendly but just wandering around Florence there's so much to enjoy and soak up that we didn't feel the need on this occasion to go inside. I do hope we'll come back one day without the children so that we could get to appreciate the finer side of Florence.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Durham, United Kingdom
9 attraction reviews
“Why wouldn't you visit this place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

This is what Florence is all about. It's great, it's busy, it's stunning and it is so worth the effort,

Williamsburg, Virginia
7 attraction reviews
“Busy”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

This Piazza was very busy with lots of tourists, but we found a little out of the was restaurant and the food was fabulous.

Manchester, United Kingdom
15 attraction reviews
“wonderful sight”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2013

The square allows you to take in the full glory of the Duomo without having to enter it. It allows you to sit and people watch. you can see some of the amazing sculptures and sit in the shade when the temperature rises in the middle of the day.
The problem are the number of people begging and selling illegally. The police do patrol regularly but the illegal sellers and beggers return quickly.

35 attraction reviews
“People watch in the Piazza.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2013 via mobile

If you can afford to, have lunch in one of the cafes or restaurants in the square or simply sit on some steps with a gelato and watch the world go by.

It's impossible not to stare at the beautiful architecture around and it's free.