“So much to see” 5 of 5 stars

Book ahead on Viator
Private Tour
$23*
and up
Private Tour: Lecce City Sightseeing Including...
Ranked #11 of 425 things to do in Florence
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Owner description: This is the richest medieval church in Florence, which features frescoes by Giotto, a chapel by Brunelleschi and one of the finest of all early Renaissance tombs.
Nairn, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
“So much to see”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

Close to our hotel, Lucchesi, so a welcome sight to see without too much effort. Relaxing church to look around without the crowds.

Visited September 2012

Melbourne, Australia
31 attraction reviews
“History, History Everywhere”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

Amazing place tucked away at the end of a fairly non descript square. Worth visiting for the tombs alone; our 15 year old son was most impressed with these.

Visited October 2012
Dapto, Australia
30 attraction reviews
“Tombs of my heroes”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

I sought out this particular basilica to pay my respects at the tombs of Galileo and Michelangelo. I ended up staying for a few hours, blown away by the art and beauty of the place. Wandering around, finding Brunelleschi's room and sitting in the cloisters, watching the rain...then, when I left, there was a gorgeous christmas market outside in the square. A fantastic experience, and one of my very favourite memories of all time.

Visited December 2012
Costa Mesa, California
5 attraction reviews
“Very Special Place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013

The church is so quiet and wonderful, I think it was one of my most memorable moments in Italy. I went really early before the lame tourists arrived (who snap 3 dozen photos of themselves in moronic poses, then leave without even knowing where they are) so that I can really walk around and reflect on the historical significance of those laid to rest at Santa Croce.

Visited December 2012
Scotland
25 attraction reviews
“Beautiful, but not as impressive as the Duomo”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

I made a big fuss about getting to Santa Croce as I had seen it in "A room with a View" and read about it so may times in various books. We eventually got to it at the end of our visit to Florence and, while i thought it was absolutely beautiful, it felt a bit of a let down after the Duomo, Piazza della Singoria etc which are all on such a vast scale that this church seems very small!! Beautiful statues outside though and the square seemed nice, tho they were setting out a market while we visited, so we didn't get a proper chance to look around. All in all, this is beautiful, but not my very favourite place in Florence.

Visited October 2012