“Good but not Great” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #26 of 461 hotels in Florence
Adelaide, Australia
“Good but not Great”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013 via mobile

This is a fine hotel but the attention to house keeping has made me dock a point or two. The rooms are well appointed if not a little tired, but definitely spacious. The downstairs lobby bar has a nice buzz to it with the piano playing in the evenings which is a nice spot to enjoy a cocktail or two. There is also a fantastic roof top bar and Restuarnt which provides excellent service and a fillet steak that is perhaps the best I have ever had. The only downside is that the room cleaning services where a little erratic. Sometime it was cleaned well, and other times dirty glasses were not replaced along with a towel or two. Last point is that the district directly behind the hotel hearing towards the train station, is a little seedy. Beer, wine bottles and rubbish strewn on these streets, with some dubious types. Most everything outside of this area is filled with good restaurants and a great safe atmosphere.

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

851 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (146)
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

This hotel is unbelievably beautiful. From the moment we walked in the front door of the hotel all the way to our room, everything was beautifully decorated and very grand. Our over sized room had two glass doors that opened to a small balcony that overlooked the Arno River. The furniture was lovely and the bed was amazingly comfortable. Everything was spotless, even the chandelier that hung from the 20 foot ceiling. The concierge helped us with tickets to see The Statue of David. He was able to purchase our tickets and schedule a time for us to go so that we did not have to wait in line. The concierge also gave us good suggestions for where to eat. The location is walking distance from the train station as well as walking distance to almost anywhere in Florence. The only complaint we had was that our room was not made up until late in the afternoon each day.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

We stayed at the Westin for one night (on points) as a resting spot between our trip out to Cinque Terre and the trip to Tuscany. We had already been in Florence for a few days prior, running around the city, so we wanted a place to relax and be pampered. And wow - the Westin delivered.

The service is consistently outstanding. In advance of our arrival, the concierge sent useful information to help us plan our trip and offered to book tix to popular spots. On arrival, we were met by a cheerful, helpful front desk staff who remembered us by name/room number, despite the number of guests staying at the hotel.

Our room (a deluxe room facing the river - we were fortunate to receive an upgrade) was huge and regally decorated; the Westin bed was super comfy (despite the 2 twins pushed together, typical in Italy); the bathroom was gorgeous. The manager even sent up some chilled champagne on the house. We had drinks and dinner up on the rooftop restaurant, too. It boasts incredible views of the city and an elegant atmosphere. After a few days of non stop activity, this was the night we didn't leave the hotel (and I don't regret it one little bit)!

Perhaps our only hesitation about going back to the Westin is it may be a touch too formal/traditional for our tastes in terms of room decor, service and restaurant. We are pretty laid back. For those looking for a "regal" treatment (or looking to use SPG points), this is an excellent choice.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Princeton, New Jersey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

My family - me, my husband, and two sons - just returned from a 5 night stay at this beautiful hotel. We had connecting deluxe rooms 320 and 318 on the 3rd floor - the SPG Preferred Floor. Rooms were extremely clean and nicely furnished, although some pieces were showing a little wear. Room 320 - our room, was very spacious with king sized bed, walk in closet, dual vanities in bathroom, tub with shower, and water closet. Room 318 - for our boys - was a little smaller, but still had 2 twin beds, large closet - although not walk-in, and bathroom with one vanity, tub with shower, and toilets. High ceilings made both rooms seem larger. Rooms overlooked Arno, which was very picturesque, although I have to admit they were a bit noisy, as traffic does pass frequently on the street below. My husband and I are not light sleepers, but did wake up several times during the night from the noise - especially sirens from ambulance and police. If you are a light sleeper, I would not ask for a river view room.

We did experience a couple of minor issues. When we checked in and were shown our rooms, I detected the slight smell of cigarette smoke in the boys' room. This is a non-smoking hotel, so I was a little surprised. The Front Desk hostess agreed with me, and assured me they would have housekeeping refresh the room. After two nights, the smell still persisted, so I mentioned it again to the Front Desk. They were very apologetic and tried to move us to another set of connecting rooms, but none were available. They offered to have housekeeping refresh the room again, to which I agreed. By this time, the rainy weather had cleared, and we were able to open the large doors in the room and let in some fresh air. That helped a bit, but by the end of the stay the odor was still there. I have to admit it only bothered me - my boys didn't even mention it.

Another small negative was the heat had been turned off for the season, but the air conditioning had not been turned on. We all found the rooms warm, especially at night and while getting ready in the morning. Housekeeping brought us 2 oscillating floor fans, which did help slightly. I think this lack of air flow contributed to the smoky smell in the boys' room not clearing.

That said, I would absolutely return to the Westin Excelsior. It is a beautiful property - previously a monestary - in a great location - just a few minutes walk to the Ponte Vecchio and Duomo. The public spaces are richly decorated, albeit a little dark, as the ceiling and trims are dark wood. We had booked a package which included a delicious breakfast - either by room service or in the beautiful dining room. Omelettes made to order, bacon, coffees, fresh fruit, pastries, yogurt, salamis, cheeses - it was all there and plentiful. Our package also included internet, which worked great in the rooms. We did have a cocktail at the rooftop bar our first night, which had a terrific view of the city, but I found it to be more of a 'pick-up' spot, rather than relaxing and subdued, so we did not return.

I have to say what impressed us the most was the staff. Everyone here, from Front Desk to Housekeeping to Room Service to Concierge was friendly, gracious, and eager to help. I especially want to mention Daniel in Concierge. I typically don't use concierge services - I like to plan ahead with TripAdvisor. Daniel changed my mind on this trip! He was always eager to help, give advice, directions, lunch and dinner recommendations, and always inquired at the end of our day how everything was. He made arrangements for parking our rental car, and notifying the town to avoid a ZTL fine. I can't say enough about him. Westin is lucky to have him!

Without question, I would definitely return to the Westin Excelsior if in Florence again.

We also stayed at the Westin Excelsior in Rome on this trip, and dined at different restaurants each night in both cities, for which I will post my reviews over the next several days.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Sofia, Bulgaria
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

All well and to be recommended. The hotel has a great location for excursions of Florence. Staff is friendly and very service minded. Did not try the top roof restaurant, but it has a good renomme. Pity only it rained all my stay however I got good recommendations what to do indoors in Florence.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

This was our first stop for our first trip to Italy - this restful beginning set the stage for a very successful trip. The staff were friendly and patient - and gave perfect restaurant recommendations. The rooms were quiet and clean, and the bathrooms exceptional. We walked to all of our destinations - very convenient. We never used the gym - it was tucked sort of out of the way, making a little uncomfortable to visit solo in off hours - would have been fine if two of us had been able to go at the same time - nice equipment and a clean room for it.
The car rental agencies were within walking distance, which worked well for the continuation of our trip.
If we ever fly into florence airport again, we will definitely visit the excelsior for that first night of much needed rest! On this trip, we spent two nights - and wish we had had time for three!
We never did identify a local spot for breakfast - but did not try very hard, either. Also, there was a small grocer just down the agree.

Room Tip: We asked for an inside courtyard room for quiet - it was extremely quiet! At first we were concerne...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
San Luis Obispo, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

We stayed here using our Starwood points in July of 2012, and it fulfilled my fantasy of Florence. We booked six months ahead, and got a great room on the second floor (american third floor) overlooking the Piazza Ognissanti and the Ognissanti Church right across the way. We also had an angled view of the Arno, and vivid sunsets. I think the slightly off the water view rooms might be quieter, we really enjoyed ours, with no noisy traffic below us.
High ceilings and retro Tuscan decor made the room feel Old World comfortable, as well as the welcoming bottle of Chianti! Huge, two part marble bathroom was ample for our traveling needs. There was also a small minibar in the tiny entryway to the room, across from the closet. The building formerly housed a monastery, and there are many artifacts on the double staircase that winds through the property. They were building the SeSto Restaurant at the time, and I can't wait to return and try it out. The walk back along the Arno is great, with Harry's Bar, and many other quality restaurants and cafes in the neighborhood. The location is a bit away from the touristy center of town. We were so comfortable here, we stayed for a week, and felt it was like a second home. Santa Maria Nuovo (The Trinity by Massaccio) and the photography Museum are nearby!
The Concierge was terrific, and we got jump the line passes for both the Accademia and for the Uffizi, for a few Euros. They also made reservations for any restaurant we requested ahead, with great politeness!

Room Tip: Rooms on lower floors have higher ceilings. The rooms on the plaza may be the quietest. Big velvet...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to The Westin Excelsior Florence? Share your experiences!