“Magnifico!!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #27 of 461 hotels in Florence
San Luis Obispo, CA
“Magnifico!!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

We stayed here using our Starwood points in July of 2012, and it fulfilled my fantasy of Florence. We booked six months ahead, and got a great room on the second floor (american third floor) overlooking the Piazza Ognissanti and the Ognissanti Church right across the way. We also had an angled view of the Arno, and vivid sunsets. I think the slightly off the water view rooms might be quieter, we really enjoyed ours, with no noisy traffic below us.
High ceilings and retro Tuscan decor made the room feel Old World comfortable, as well as the welcoming bottle of Chianti! Huge, two part marble bathroom was ample for our traveling needs. There was also a small minibar in the tiny entryway to the room, across from the closet. The building formerly housed a monastery, and there are many artifacts on the double staircase that winds through the property. They were building the SeSto Restaurant at the time, and I can't wait to return and try it out. The walk back along the Arno is great, with Harry's Bar, and many other quality restaurants and cafes in the neighborhood. The location is a bit away from the touristy center of town. We were so comfortable here, we stayed for a week, and felt it was like a second home. Santa Maria Nuovo (The Trinity by Massaccio) and the photography Museum are nearby!
The Concierge was terrific, and we got jump the line passes for both the Accademia and for the Uffizi, for a few Euros. They also made reservations for any restaurant we requested ahead, with great politeness!

Room Tip: Rooms on lower floors have higher ceilings. The rooms on the plaza may be the quietest. Big velvet...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

855 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (151)
Sydney
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

Not up to the usual high standard of Westin hotels, except for the fabulous rooftop, design restaurant.

The hotel was well situated next to the Arno River and within a 15min walk of the rain terminus, the Florence convention centre, and the old part of town, and a 25 EUR taxi ride to the airport.

Most of the staff were friendly & helpful though not the reception crew and the concierge staff were not that well informed about attractions in Florence.

The room was Ok but tired & dark as was the rest of the hotel. There was no free Wi-Fi in the hotel and the pay for service was restricted to one device, quite ridiculous for modern travellers with more than one internet connectable device.

Most frustratingly for a business stay, there was no iron and no access to an iron, but, of course, there was an expensive pressing service. There was no understanding re my frustration about the lack of an iron from the front office staff and no explanation was given as to why an iron was not available. When I complained to the manager I was offered free pressing for two shirts and a discount for any further use of the pressing service but this was really not satisfactory.

The roof top design restaurant was exceptional with great food, superb views over Florence, and excellent service, especially from the maître d’hôtel, who also doubled up as the host of the breakfast restaurant adjacent to the lobby. The breakfast was average and the breads baked yesterday! We were nearly poisoned by contamination from a blocked hot water service used for tea in the lobby lounge.

I would recommend a walk up to the Piazza Michelangelo on the other side of the river for a fantastic panorama and orientation to Florence before exploring the attractions of the city. Alternatively, climb the tower of the Palazzo Vecchio for an equally superb view.

Room Tip: Ask for a view to the river
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Massimo B, Responsabile reception at The Westin Excelsior Florence, responded to this review, May 27, 2013
Dear JOMISydney,
thank you for your comments, which have helped us implementing some changes on the breakfast service and a retraining with Reception and Concierge, both of them normally providing a renown high level of service, but your opinion was the occasion to remember all of us the importance of a constant attention.
We hope to have you back soon in Florence and show you the changes you have contributed to generate!
For any assistance in your future reservations with us, please consider me and my staff at your disposal for any assistance at the following email address:
massimo.bernardi@starwoodhotels.com
Warmest regards,
Sharon,massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

Staff is amazing. They are knowledgeable and kind and are 100percent customer focused. The check in staff ensured we were satisfied and were upgraded to river view with balcony which was breath taking. Concierge staff were superb. They provided info about everything and anything u asked. We were given great restaurant suggestions and were also told about the city. Learned so much from them. Lastly i need to thank the general managers personal assistant Sylvia s. who was the kindest most helpful person. She was so personable and amazing ensuring our stay was perfect. She continues today to provide my daughter who is studying in Italy with helpful Information about travel,salons etc. she is just an amazingly kind person . The westin is fortunate to have her. Our entire stay was five star due to the customer friendly staff. Thank you.

Room Tip: Arno view with balcony is most beautiful
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Kirkland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

I had such high hopes for my recent stay at the Excelsior! My husband and I stayed here in June of 2012 and loved the hotel. This trip - not so much!

My initial contact with check-in was favorable. My friend and myself were given an upgraded room with a beautiful view of the River Arno for our one-night stay.

The downfall occurred when I inquired about the Platinum benefits awarded to loyal SPG members. The gentleman helping me spoke with the front desk manager, who very arrogantly and rudely informed me that since my husband was not with me, (our Platinum membership is listed under his name, SPG only allows one name to be listed) it was up to the hotel's discretion whether they would or would not extend the benefits to myself, his spouse. They were choosing to decline to extend the benefits to me.

I tried to explain to the manager that this was a very special trip, I was treating a dear friend to a trip to Italy for her 50th birthday. This was her first time to Florence, a city she had always dreamed of visiting. His arrogance and hostility in responding was extended and extremely unsettling.

We left the reception desk feeling bullied and intimidated. We felt a pit in our stomachs that didn't leave until we left the city.

I fully understand that the hotel was acting in accordance with Starwood guidelines. What I don't understand is why they would want to create such a negative impression to loyal Starwood customers, as well as repeat customers to their establishment.

Being married just shy of 30 years, my husband and I travel frequently and almost always together. We have earned Platinum status together through our personal travel stays, not through business travel. We are loyal Starwood members, staying at numerous Starwood properties each year! This is the first time I have ever felt bullied or intimidated by the staff at one of their properties!

What a shame and disappointment! Thankfully the St. Regis is located within the same piazza.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Budoia, Italy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013 via mobile

We are Starwood Members and always love staying at their properties. The Westin is my favorite of the Starwood line. The West Excelsior did not disappoint. Housed in an old palace each room has its own personality and charm. The beds are extremely comfortable. We enjoyed great music and wine at the bottom floor bar. We visited the top level restaurant and bar but found it a little busy for our mood. The location of the Westin is perfect for walking the beautiful streets of Florence.

• Stayed March 2013
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

The Front Office of the Westin Florence is simply FANTASTIC.

I stayed there one night on 18th February. (I am writing the date down because I do not remember the name of the wonderful lady who was working there that evening around 9-10 pm)

Initially I was not supposed to stay at the Westin - we had a mess up with another hotel we were meant to stay it and decided to drive to the Westin instead. I was sick in the car on the way and when we got there - the Front Office lady saw I was not feeling well and sped up the whole process. (Amen to FAST SERVICE!) She quoted us a reasonable room (and even gave us a nicer room in one of their newly refurbished wings) and promptly called me a Doctor. Being out the whole day I was dehydrated and she sent me 2 big bottles of water to feel better. When Doctor arrived - the Westin sent one of their staff to pick up the medicine for me. At this point it was nearly midnight and they returned promptly with medication for me. All I can say is - being sick while traveling could happen to anyone. However, when one is feeling ABSOLUTELY MISERABLE - service with a smile, a Doctor and feeling better knowing someone is taking care of everything makes a world of a difference.

Our rate included breakfast which looked excellent with a live-station chef prepping eggs, pancakes etc. The staff knew I wasn't feeling well and even went to get me hot milk with honey etc.

Over all, it was a fantastic experience and to the lady who was working the check-in on the 18th February - THANK YOU for all your help.

Room Tip: Try to get room on floors which have been renovated. Much nicer.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Nashville, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

This hotel is in an excellent location, relatively close to the train and bus stations (10 minute walk) and to major attractions (Duomo, Uffizi) and there are a lot of nice little restaurants close as well. Easy walking to the older parts of town and shopping locales. It is on the river, although the river isn't the most scenic place in the world. Elegant lobby. My room was large by European standards and the bathroom was well appointed. WiFi worked very well in my room. The front desk and concierge were very friendly and professional and helpful. The carpets in some places looked a bit worn. Be advised that late at night and early morning the staffing can be minimal and sometimes lines can form for check-out and to get taxis. Overall a very nice place to stay.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business

Been to The Westin Excelsior Florence? Share your experiences!