“Amazing stay” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #30 of 459 hotels in Florence
Sharon,massachusetts
“Amazing stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

Staff is amazing. They are knowledgeable and kind and are 100percent customer focused. The check in staff ensured we were satisfied and were upgraded to river view with balcony which was breath taking. Concierge staff were superb. They provided info about everything and anything u asked. We were given great restaurant suggestions and were also told about the city. Learned so much from them. Lastly i need to thank the general managers personal assistant Sylvia s. who was the kindest most helpful person. She was so personable and amazing ensuring our stay was perfect. She continues today to provide my daughter who is studying in Italy with helpful Information about travel,salons etc. she is just an amazingly kind person . The westin is fortunate to have her. Our entire stay was five star due to the customer friendly staff. Thank you.

Room Tip: Arno view with balcony is most beautiful
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

779 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (130)
Kirkland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

I had such high hopes for my recent stay at the Excelsior! My husband and I stayed here in June of 2012 and loved the hotel. This trip - not so much!

My initial contact with check-in was favorable. My friend and myself were given an upgraded room with a beautiful view of the River Arno for our one-night stay.

The downfall occurred when I inquired about the Platinum benefits awarded to loyal SPG members. The gentleman helping me spoke with the front desk manager, who very arrogantly and rudely informed me that since my husband was not with me, (our Platinum membership is listed under his name, SPG only allows one name to be listed) it was up to the hotel's discretion whether they would or would not extend the benefits to myself, his spouse. They were choosing to decline to extend the benefits to me.

I tried to explain to the manager that this was a very special trip, I was treating a dear friend to a trip to Italy for her 50th birthday. This was her first time to Florence, a city she had always dreamed of visiting. His arrogance and hostility in responding was extended and extremely unsettling.

We left the reception desk feeling bullied and intimidated. We felt a pit in our stomachs that didn't leave until we left the city.

I fully understand that the hotel was acting in accordance with Starwood guidelines. What I don't understand is why they would want to create such a negative impression to loyal Starwood customers, as well as repeat customers to their establishment.

Being married just shy of 30 years, my husband and I travel frequently and almost always together. We have earned Platinum status together through our personal travel stays, not through business travel. We are loyal Starwood members, staying at numerous Starwood properties each year! This is the first time I have ever felt bullied or intimidated by the staff at one of their properties!

What a shame and disappointment! Thankfully the St. Regis is located within the same piazza.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Budoia, Italy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013 via mobile

We are Starwood Members and always love staying at their properties. The Westin is my favorite of the Starwood line. The West Excelsior did not disappoint. Housed in an old palace each room has its own personality and charm. The beds are extremely comfortable. We enjoyed great music and wine at the bottom floor bar. We visited the top level restaurant and bar but found it a little busy for our mood. The location of the Westin is perfect for walking the beautiful streets of Florence.

• Stayed March 2013
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

The Front Office of the Westin Florence is simply FANTASTIC.

I stayed there one night on 18th February. (I am writing the date down because I do not remember the name of the wonderful lady who was working there that evening around 9-10 pm)

Initially I was not supposed to stay at the Westin - we had a mess up with another hotel we were meant to stay it and decided to drive to the Westin instead. I was sick in the car on the way and when we got there - the Front Office lady saw I was not feeling well and sped up the whole process. (Amen to FAST SERVICE!) She quoted us a reasonable room (and even gave us a nicer room in one of their newly refurbished wings) and promptly called me a Doctor. Being out the whole day I was dehydrated and she sent me 2 big bottles of water to feel better. When Doctor arrived - the Westin sent one of their staff to pick up the medicine for me. At this point it was nearly midnight and they returned promptly with medication for me. All I can say is - being sick while traveling could happen to anyone. However, when one is feeling ABSOLUTELY MISERABLE - service with a smile, a Doctor and feeling better knowing someone is taking care of everything makes a world of a difference.

Our rate included breakfast which looked excellent with a live-station chef prepping eggs, pancakes etc. The staff knew I wasn't feeling well and even went to get me hot milk with honey etc.

Over all, it was a fantastic experience and to the lady who was working the check-in on the 18th February - THANK YOU for all your help.

Room Tip: Try to get room on floors which have been renovated. Much nicer.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Nashville, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

This hotel is in an excellent location, relatively close to the train and bus stations (10 minute walk) and to major attractions (Duomo, Uffizi) and there are a lot of nice little restaurants close as well. Easy walking to the older parts of town and shopping locales. It is on the river, although the river isn't the most scenic place in the world. Elegant lobby. My room was large by European standards and the bathroom was well appointed. WiFi worked very well in my room. The front desk and concierge were very friendly and professional and helpful. The carpets in some places looked a bit worn. Be advised that late at night and early morning the staffing can be minimal and sometimes lines can form for check-out and to get taxis. Overall a very nice place to stay.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Redmond, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

A group of friends and I stayed in this gorgeous property in advance of a tour of Tuscany. It was easy to find, centrally-located and the elegant lobby was the perfect welcome for our trip of a lifetime. The beds were so comfortable, I didn't want to get up in the morning and the late-night service in the lobby bar was perfect for long visits with dear friends. My friend had flown in from Atlanta and the airline lost her luggage. We were concerned, as we had an early-morning departure to meet our tour group and weren't sure that we would get the luggage delivered before we had to leave the hotel. We stepped out very early to stop at the ATM machine down the street, and one of the bellman literally caught us on the street to tell us that K's luggage had arrived, and not to worry! Wow. He'd known of our concerns and remembered us, so he didn't want any time to pass without reassuring us that the luggage had arrived at the hotel safely. Above and beyond the call of duty!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Massimo B, Responsabile reception at The Westin Excelsior Florence, responded to this review, March 20, 2013
Dear Joano777,
thank you for your comments, I will make sure the guys at Concierge will receive them!
They are indeed very attentive and able to transmit a spirit of hospitality that goes beyond procedures and duties: we always try to focus on people's needs and emotions more than anything else, and we are so happy we reached you in doing this!

Please let us know if any stage you might be coming back to Florence, or consider us at your disposal if you might need any assistance for friends or family over here!
My personal email: massimo.bernardi@starwoodhotels.com

Warmest regards,
Massimo
Bangkok, Thailand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

We initially booked for a 2 night stay here but we had to extend our stay because we were so impressed with our stay at the Westin. Everything is perfect at this hotel. We were given a very professional and warm welcome by Massimo, the Front Office staff who made us feel that we have made the right choice to stay at this hotel once we arrive. The service from the front office, concierge to F&B were all very good. We had dinner at the sister property, St Regis just opposite the Westin - food & service there were fantastic too. The hotel is big, charming and very well-located. The view of the Arno river from the room was breathtaking. We look forward to returning.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to The Westin Excelsior Florence? Share your experiences!