“First Opera A Moving Experience” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Opera at St. Mark's Anglican Church

Opera at St. Mark's Anglican Church
Via Maggio 18, Florence, Italy (Pitti)
1 800 877 1755
Improve this listing
Book ahead on Viator
and up
Florence Concert and Dinner
More attraction details
Owner description: Love Duets’ Concert: you do not have to be a lover of Italian Opera to enjoy this wonderful evening. It’s set in a small church from 1800’s. You have a piano, soprano & tenor performing Opera’s love song and Italian love songs. The setting and performance is overwhelmingly powerful. You’ll be moved to tears by the emotions. Not to be missed.
Baddeck, Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“First Opera A Moving Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

Our seats in the third row were about 15 feet from the performers.
A handsome MC with a German accent welcomed the 150 people, many of them tourists and students, with a synopsis of the story and its composer. Lights were dimmed. A pianist took a bow and then his place behind a grand piano. Then began my best entertainment experience in years.
No amplification. Five human voices. One piano. That's all it took as I was riveted for an hour and 45 minutes. We were in the hands of professionals.
I did not need to understand the words they sang (I hear that it's better not to know because the writing can be over the top). Yet my stomach and chest cavities heaved with the emotions projected by the singers: anger, frustration, confusion, joy, love and many others. It was impossible to look away from the performers' faces while they commanded my attention. It occurred to me that it was a good thing the walls were made of stone and concrete, in order to contain them within the performance space.
The music of the human voice filled the entire space, projected while they inhaled and exhaled, modulated by turns of the head and tremors of the lips. At times the voices blended into one as the characters in the story argued or agreed in unison. I never heard the like. I felt the emotions projected my way and felt tears come involuntarily to my eyes, not out of feeling for the story or its characters, but for the primal beauty and power of the human voice at its very best.
No recording of the event could ever have the same impact. Just being in the presence of greatness (the great ones make it look easy), live and in concert, made all the difference. It was a pleasure to stand up and cheer at the end of my first ever night at the opera.

5 Thank Ian M

Florence, Italy
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Great Evening!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

My roommate and I made a last minute student tickets booking for a recent performance. First off, the staff was very helpful in accommodating us, and the show was fantastic! The cast of La Boheme did a lovely job and the church provided an interesting setting with great acoustics. We will definitely be going back!

2 Thank Eileenakd
Edinburgh, UK
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 45 helpful votes
“Low-fi but worth it”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

very intimate and very accessible. Great experience. The host made it simple to understand what was happening in each act and the singers / actors were great. We loved it.

1 Thank busastep
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Great Opera Experience - La Boheme”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013 via mobile

My wife and I were visiting Florence for our 30th anniversary and I wanted to surprise her with a special evening and bought tickets for La Boheme. Very different and intimate experience as the furthest seat from the "stage" is only 25 feet away. Professional cast in full costume performs on a minimalistic set accompanied by an excellent pianist. Each act was introduced by a narrator in english so the uninitiated can follow the plot. Rudolpho, Mimi, Marcello and Musetta were all wonderful. If you come in the winter dress warmly as the Church had very little heat and the outer door to the street was open for unknown reasons, but it fit with the setting of a winter in Paris. Enjoyed it so much we're going back in two days to see Madame Butterfly.

2 Thank Steven R
Tampa, Florida
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 44 helpful votes
“An unforgetable evening!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013

We booked a package which included dinner followed by the Opera. The church made a beautiful backdrop, and was historic and romantic. The show is made up of just three individuals; the pianist, male singer and female singer, and yet it was a captivating performance with several great opera pieces performed. It felt like a private opera show, and is a must see in Florence.

Visited June 2012