“Stunning Historical Hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 458 Hotels in Florence
London, United Kingdom
“Stunning Historical Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

What I liked about this hotel most is that it combines a historical atmosphere while at the same time everything looks so clean & new. I stayed a few years ago at the nearby Westin, but the St Regis exceeded my expectations by all means.

On the negative side, as a Platinum SPG member I expected a Suite upgrade which didn't get.

Room Tip: River Arno Room
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
St_Regis_Florence, Guest Relations Manager at The St. Regis Florence, responded to this review, November 10, 2013
Dear DavEdUK, We are very glad that you have caught and brought to all of us the essence of the enormous renovation made in the last few years at The St. Regis Florence: we offer modern amenities while preserving the inmost soul of the Palazzo Giuntini. All our best regards, Ombretta - The Lobby Butler

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (162)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Portland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

This is one of the most beautiful St Regis hotels we have stayed. I can only wonder what the renovations cost. Florence is one of our favorite cities in Europe, and this property is world class in every way. Butler service is bespoke and as fast as any we have experienced.

Our only problem at check-in was a young agent who smiled sweetly when I asked if we had received our Platinum SPG Suite upgrade and told me we had indeed been given a beautiful upgraded premium deluxe on the top floor. So I gently asked again if there was a Platinum Suite upgrade available and after looking intently at her computer screen she walked to an older woman at the next desk and spoke in Italian as to my request. They were indeed so very happy to have been able to upgrade me.

For those of you who have earned Platinum SPG status, you may have encountered this same line or variation previously in other Starwood hotels. I find it all too common and now even check day of check in inventory online or through Platinum Concierge, because sometimes it humors me and other times it annoys me, but most of all given the money spent with this company I expect consistency. And when hearing an absolute NO to a Platinum Suite upgrade request, after I have already checked inventory, I simply call the Platinum Concierge hotline and they always promptly call the hotel manager on duty...and then guess what happens next...

Other than that one small issue, everything was grand. Our suite perfectly appointed, the bathroom swathed in white and black marble. Morning breakfast perfect. The dining room has an incredibly well priced three course dinner and fabulous wine selection. Area restaurant recommendations are spot on. The Arno river location is brilliant. While the fitness room is small and compact it's efficient and served our purposes. And again the hotel is worth a visit just to see how beautiful a restoration has been achieved.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
St_Regis_Florence, Guest Relations Manager at The St. Regis Florence, responded to this review, November 2, 2013
Dear PDXStocks, allow us to tell you that we are honored you consider us one of the most beautiful St Regis hotels you have stayed. Allow us also to remind that all our Platinum members receive upgrades to the best available room at check-in, including Standard Suites, but this benefit is subject to availability and Special Suites such as Presidential and multiple bedroom suites are excluded. Thank you again for your strong loyalty to our Starwood Family. Sincerely, Ombretta - The Lobby Butler
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

If you have the dough, stay at st Regis in Florence. Great hotel in fantastic location on the river
Superior staff and service always willing to assist with all requests. Outstanding stay in a beautiful hotel

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear bruce a, allow us to thank you for defining excellent our staff and service: we are always willing to assist with all requests and to go beyond them. Sincerely, Ombretta - The Lobby Butler
Miami Beach, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

Our second time in Florence and all of Southern Italy and by far one of the most memorable. A great deal of it was due to our stay at the St. Regis. Checking in the beautiful hotel makes you feel as part of the family. Our arrival was before check in and we were just hoping that our room would be available. If though it was not, they did offer a smaller room in order for us to relax, take a shower and have lunch before our stepping out to sight see. Even though, we are Starwood members, I was expecting to receive an upgrade but unfortunately we did not. After our temporary room we were then notified our Deluxe Room with huge closets and nice shower and tub were available. If possible try to stay in a bigger room as the temporary room was very small and when taking a shower the water spilled all over the floor as the bathroom was very small and no separate shower. The rest of the hotel was very nice as well. The staff was very attentive beginning with our check in experience as was the concierge which speaks volumes for their service. I do not have a single bad thing to say about anything with this hotel. I would recommend spending the extra money to stay here and just enjoy the beautiful city and this great hotel. It is minutes away from everything without being in the middle of everything. We were contemplating staying at the Savoy, but after seeing exactly their location I was very happy where we decided to stay. An experience also was our dinner at the Winter Garden in the St. Regis an exceptional experience ending with a fantastic night cap and piano bar!!! A must, is also, a visit to their other Hotel The Westin Excelsior. The last floor where the bar is located, is a must after a long day to have a drink overlooking the most beautiful romantic city called "Florence"!!

Room Tip: Try to pay a little more for a suite with Butler and balcony. Unfortunately we didn' would have been well worth it.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Vivian R, allow us to thank you for sharing with all of us your memorable experience at The St. Regis Florence. We are glad you have appreciated our offer of a temporary room waiting for the check in time and allow us to assure all our guests that we don't sell the temporary room beeing smaller than a deluxe and we use it, upon availability, just as a courtesy for our guests We are also very glad to read about your exceptional experience with the dinner at our restaurant the Winter Garden by Caino ending with a fantastic night cap and piano bar. Looking forward to meeting you again in Florence for the third time, all our best regards, Ombretta - The Lobby Butler
Westlake Village, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2013

I've stayed here a few times and this is one of my favorite hotels anywhere. Since becoming the St Regis and undergoing an extensive renovation they've stepped it up several notches. We had a lovely suite overlooking the Arno. My favorite part if the experience is the personal butler service. We never had to wait more than 5 minutes for any request, whether it was ice for my aching back or espresso and cookies in the morning. The check in staff remembered us from previous stays and knew all our preferences. A home away from home like no other.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
St_Regis_Florence, Guest Relations Manager at The St. Regis Florence, responded to this review, October 28, 2013
Dear Dan V, your amazing words of appreciation of our bespoke service and your strong loyalty to us are the best recognition for any efforts we make in order to create indelible memories for our guests. We are proud about our Butler Service, considered the key differentiator among us and the rest of our competitors: no other hotel can vaunt such a service. Looking forward to welcoming you again and again at your home in Florence, all our best regards. Ombretta - The Lobby Butler
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

We stayed in the Florence St. Regis for five days prior to our Le Marche wedding . It was an elegant and gracious experience. Our room overlooked the Arno, and it was large with an entrance vestibule, walk-in closet and a large bath. The service was all that you'd expect from a St. Regis, and the concierge was particularly helpful. He arranged a family dinner for us, and secured a private room that could accommodate us all.

We'd previously stayed at the Westin (right across the Ognissanti square), and both are good choices. It's worth going over to the Westin for it's roof-top bar, and the panoramic view of the city. For that matter, the Ognissanti church at the back of the square is not to be missed.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the river do have some street noise form the road below. If you are a light sleeper, yo...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear David S, allow us to thank you for your kind words of appreciation about our Concierge impeccable service. We are really glad you could experience both our properties, enjoying also the amazing view from the roof top at SeSto Restaurant Bar at the Westin Excelsior. We would love to welcoming you back and look forward to delivering another bespoke and indelible experience at The St. Regis Florence. Ombretta - The Lobby Butler
USA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2013

I have stayed in many luxury hotels including the Four Seasons Chicago, Ritz Carlton Tyson's Corner, Ritz Carlton Naples (Florida), and the (now closed) Regent Wall Street. I have also stayed in non-chain 5 star hotels like the Royalton in NYC and The Kitano. This was the worst experience of any of them by such a wide stretch - and this was more expensive than any of the above. I only wish I stayed with my friend down the street at Hotel Goldoni for 25% of the cost. Not everything was bad, but choosing this hotel was a huge mistake. Here's why:

1. I checked in at 2:15 and my room wasn't ready, so I was put in a small room until I went to my regular room. In that room, the king beds are mostly made of two twins (with firm borders in the center) pushed together. I knew I hated this from comments on forums like this, and had it confirmed on email that I would NOT get a bed like this (I will attach a pic of the email soon). However, they still gave me this bed. I only discovered it after I fully unpacked and had dinner and was finally getting into bed quite late. I was way too tired to move at this hour - if they even had another room. Needless to say, I barely slept (maybe 3 hours) because I would wake up every time I fell in the crack between the mattresses. So my first full day in Florence was horrible since I was very sleep deprived and paid quite a huge sum of money for it (and they gave back a pittance of what I paid despite completely ruining my day. So I still basically paid $500 for this awful bed. Given that I have their confirmation in writing, I have to dispute it with Visa...because god forbid they just refund me themselves). I even told the woman who checked me in that my bed had a problem and I had to move and she just said "yeah I heard" - no "sorry I put you in that room" or "let's give you back the money since we promised you in writing" or anything like that. That's just incredibly rude and inappropriate. It was someone's fault there for putting me in a room that I was explicitly promised I would not get .

2. I told them 3-4 times that I would move that evening to a new room they had free, and I repeatedly called for help (I can move bags myself but my clothes were on hangers-all I needed was a simple luggage cart to hang them on). "A couple of minutes" apparently means at least 20 because after waiting 20 minutes (again exhausted and badly needing sleep) I just started moving things myself. I didn't want to fully re-pack all of my wet bathroom products and dirty clothes so I asked for plastic bags at reception. I was told that the hotel had no plastic bags. Uh - the garbage bags are plastic! They were unable to give them to me (until my friend insisted the next day for packing to leave) so I made at least five trips up and down - wrapping my things in a bed sheet. The hallways were quite long as well - and I was literally sweating from this (and I had been walking through Florence ALL day already). Again, during all of this time I heard nothing from them except one call to say they were coming. So guess when they showed up?? Over an hour later when I was done moving everything myself! Then they said in that annoyingly fake charming Italian way "Anything we can do to help?". Yeah maybe you coudl have helped an hour ago! I was still sleep deprived and desperately needed to go to bed or I never would have asked them for any help. I can move myself - I just wanted the luggage cart bar (and plastic bags). Not complicated or requiring 20 minutes!

The room I was finally moved to was very well decorated, but it was like being in a hallway. The bedroom and bathroom were on the same wall against the hallway - not a normal room where the bathroom buffers hall noise). I could hear everyone in the halls, particularly the maids when they seem too yell at guests that it's time for turn down. The bed was also very small in there (like an American full size) At least I had a courtyard view because the street view rooms ARE noisy. They showed me one (with a real king) and I heard motorcycles instantly. I hear motorcycles on the 30th floor at home so floor 4 isn't going to do much.

I am not sure if they felt bad for this room situation, but they gave me like 20 bottles of shampoo and shower gel (for 3 remaining nights). I would have rather had free Internet but that request wasn't well received (so much for "anything" they can do - the Internet is 10€ a day). With weight restrictions on luggage, I couldn't take this shampoo anyway. I do like it though.

3. The concierges seem to assume everyone here is a millionaire and / or sometimes have a language barrier with some of them. This was a problem in a few ways that I will explain by example: My flight departure was moved by Air France from Florence to Pisa (an hour away). So, The concierges told me to either take the train (and two cabs dragging luggage around) or a 180€ cab. First of all, there was a train strike that they were unaware of (despite the Non-Italian tour guide being aware of it). So, I asked one concierge to help me get on another Florence departure. This particular concierge is probably the hardest working and smartest concierge I have ever met (Francesco). He was a master of working on 5 things at once and literally called Air France for me 6 times in Italian (American reps have different access to the flights within Europe). Unfortunately, what he & the other concierges never mentioned is that there is a 6€ bus straight to Pisa airport! Again, my non-Italian tour guide told me this. So, that option made the most sense since it would cost €800 to change flights. Do they just not consider that a St. Regis guest could take a bus? Did they not know about this fairly major bus service? A similar thing happened when I asked for a dinner suggestion somewhere not too expensive but with decent portion sizes. It was the only night I strayed from tripadvisor...and (guess what) the most expensive dinner of my trip. The price included a cover charge and 10% after that. The food was good but seriously...this is not what I was asking for.

I'll throw in some positives here... t((e shower is amazing (rain showed + handheld). The heat and AC controls are fabulous...you can control things to the exact temperature you want, regardless of the time of year or the ambient temperature of the hotel. The people at breakfast are incredibly nice and attentive - particularly the woman with blonde hair who is usually by the front. This is a great way to start your day. Since it is a buffet, I didn't think they would allow me to take food but I was running to the bus (to the plane) they were more than happy to get me a bag and plastic container. That was really helpful. Also, this may be one of the most beautiful hotels I have ever seen. I walked around taking pictures on my last night just because the place is so amazing.

This may not bother most people, but the guests here tend to be worse than I anticipated in terms of being pretentious. One was so rude to the employees that I was shocked. Then, at breakfast when I dropped a small pastry (hands full) and kicked it out of the way - the same crazy person picked it up 15 minutes later, slammed it on my table and said "here's the croissant you dropped" and stormed off! I have never had an issue with a guest in 300+ nights in hotels for work and holiday. The staff apologized (same blonde haired dining room woman who is nice) but seriously....this is not the place for me ever again.

What makes me the most upset is that I've been staying with Starwood for work since 2001 and always wanted to stay in a St Regis and this experience was just awful - for $2000 in 4 days. It actually made my Florence vacation worse...and I paid $2000 for the privilege.

Room Tip: Courtyard room if you need quiet. Ask for a room without 2 twin beds pushed together if you are tra...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
St_Regis_Florence, Front Office Manager at The St. Regis Florence, responded to this review, October 25, 2013
Dear Latesso,

Thank you for taking time to give us your feedback.
As the room location you request was not ready when you arrive and as it was before 3pm check in time we thought that it was better to give you a temporary room instead of a different location.
I am sorry if you had any issues with the bed and as it is unusual for us we will make sure it never happen again.
Thank you for you nice comments regarding the breakfast and our concierge Francesco.
We ussualy don't recommend bus to pisa due to the confort but of course if a guest want to book it we are really happy to assist with that.

Been to The St. Regis Florence? Share your experiences!