“Absolutely Fantastic” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 461 Hotels in Florence
Seattle, Washington
“Absolutely Fantastic”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

Many other reviews note that this hotel exceeds five star standards. I couldn't agree more.

The hotel itself is beautiful. It is a historic building but has been recently renovated to provide every modern convenience and luxury. From what we were told, up until 2011 it was a Luxury Collection hotel that closed for huge renovations and somewhat recently reopened as a St. Regis. To its great benefit, this is a smaller hotel and is never swarming with tourists. It is quiet and dignified, spotlessly clean, and its employees are rightfully proud of it. I was highly impressed with the antiques in the lobby and the efficient staff who greeted us upon arrival. From stepping out of our taxi from the train station we were whisked to the front desk without needing to even think about our luggage.

Before arriving I received an email from the hotel offering us an upgraded room (from the basic "superior" room to a "deluxe" room) for a very reasonable additional charge. I accepted the offer and am very pleased that I did. Our room was amazing -- it was huge! It felt like a suite. I was later offered an additional upgrade to a true suite for an additional 150 EUR per night, but I felt that our current room was perfect and did not change it. The woman at the front desk whispered to me that that was a smart move and that she wouldn't recommend the upgrade.

Our bedroom was enormous, the decore was classy, the bed was one of the most comfortable hotel beds I've ever slept in, and there was loads of separate space for our luggage and places to store our belongings. The bathroom was giant, too, and like the rest of the room it was very luxurious. We really enjoyed the rain shower and the large soaking tub. My partner loved the TV embedded in the mirror.

Our rate did not include breakfast and we are late risers anyway, so we never had the opportunity to try it. The dining room was spectacular, though, and I would love to go there on our next visit.

The concierge staff was a bit cold, but they were always willing to answer any questions and provide us with directions upon request. I can't say that I blame them for being unenthused about answering questions about the Uffizi and the Accademia for the five billionth time.

While we were in Florence we poked around some of the other hotels for a comparison, Truly nothing that we saw compares to the St. Regis -- not even close. The Westin lies just across the small square in front of the hotel. It was quite nice, but it didn't compare to the St. Regis at all. We were given full privileges in the Westin facilities as they are "sister hotels" (both are Starwood properties), although they told us that Westin guests are not permitted to use St. Regis facilities, probably because the St. Regis is much smaller and cannot accommodate the Westin guests. The Westin seemed much bigger and was filled with people. We liked the ice cold towels they offered for guests to cool off in their lobby (it was well over 100 degrees Fahrenheit each day that we were there).

The St. Regis is well located, but I wouldn't exactly say it's in the center of town. It's probably better that way. It's in a quiet quarter just a few steps from the U.S. Consulate and other diplomatic and governmental offices. It is easy to walk to any tourist destinations or to the center of the city; in fact, that's oftentimes the only way to get around given that most of the older part of the city is closed to vehicles. We were easily able to walk everywhere that we wanted to go, even in the sweltering heat.

This particular St. Regis property really exceeded all of my expectations, which were very high after reading the reviews here on TA. I'm extremely picky about hotels, but this was definitely one of the finest properties that I've ever had the pleasure of staying in. It is one of those rare hotels that so exceeds the five star standard that it deserves a separate category of its own. I highly recommend it and look forward to returning some day. It really made our trip to Florence so much more enjoyable. Don't even think twice about whether to stay here -- it is absolutely fantastic.

Room Tip: Splurge on a "deluxe" room over the basic room types. It's not much more expensive but...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
St_Regis_Florence, Guest Relations Manager at The St. Regis Florence, responded to this review, September 29, 2012
Dear ItsOnlyMe5,

I’m very pleased to hear that you had a special stay and enjoyed our fantastic location, right in the heart of Florence! I appreciate your compliments about the efficient staff greeting you upon arrival and your note is a great testimony to the pride we take in serving each of our guests.

Allow me just to underline that there was a misunderstanding about the chance for the Westin Excelsior guests to use the St. Regis Facilities. As we are real sister hotels (not only because we are both Starwood, but even we have the same owner and the same management), we do have, and it’s a great pleasure for us, many Westin Excelsior Guests using our services and facilities like the Iridium SPA, the Etichetta Restaurant and the work out room.
Should your future travels bring you back to Florence, feel free to contact me directly - I will personally ensure that your next stay with us will be a most enjoyable one.

With best regards, Ombretta Comito

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (156)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

This hotel has an amazing location with views over a quaint square and the river. The old town is within walking distance and is just like a film set. The hotel is very traditional but very comfortable. The hotel I believe dates back to the early 1900's and the original charm has been retained. My room was internal facing and very small, but it had a four poster bed and period furniture. My room only had a shower which was a slight disappointment as I love a bath. They also charge Euros 15 a day for wireless Internet access which I also have to moan about but apart from that everything was excellent.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
San Francisco
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

Wrapped up a 3 night stay here recently and as is the case with all St. Regis properties, we had a tremendous stay in Florence. The location is first rate, the lobby entrance is immaculate and our premium deluxe room was everything we could have asked for and the daily b'fast was fantastic. Decorated in an opulent, renaissance style the hotel lives up to the image and expectation that we have come to associate with the St. Regis brand. Everything was spot on during our 3 day stay and even the weather in Florence cooperated 100% of the time. Yuri at the concierge was the stand-out individual for us because he went above and beyond the call of duty to help us out whenever and wherever. I have reduced 1 star because there was a drainage problem in the shower / tub where we'd find yourselves standing in 4-6 inches of water approx 5 minutes after the shower was turned on, and, although the sleep quality was fine, we could hear our neighbor in high heels upstairs from time to time, and our neighbor next door whenever they accessed their closets and slammed the doors shut. Overall we loved our stay here and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this to anyone thinking of staying in luxury in Florence.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Japan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012

2 night stay Winter 2012. We live in Japan and travel back to see my family once or twice a year, on the way we make city breaks across Europe. We save our pennies and hope to be wowed in some great hotels in great locations. I thought we'd done pretty well over the years but think we may have reached a new level with this hotel. In fact it sets up a bit of a problem as I've handed five-star reviews to various excellent hotels over the years but this one is clearly better yet gets the same five stars, either Trip adviser needs a new '6' category or I need to, retrospectively, downgrade the earlier reviews.
After their recent renovation everything that you see and touch is of the highest quality, well maintained and that allied to the location, a comfortable walk to all the sights, would be sufficient to recommend it, frankly they could slacken off on the service and still be a good hotel but quite the opposite, they are clearly working hard to bring service up to the level that the renovation challenges them to.
We were given room 308 (Galileo room) which sits on the facade of the building looking out over the piazza and the Arno river. Great views of the long shadows of the sunrise and sunset. Room was long and narrow but not at all claustrophobic. Room service was excellent, whatever we ordered there was something extra that came wth it. Concierge was excellent not only ensuring that we had all the tickets we had pre-arranged but checking back the next day to ensure that all had gone to plan.
Only problem we had was on checking out their system refused to process my credit card, the card hadn't been a problem before and hasn't been a problem since so I don't know what that was about. All the same I'd recommend you don't forget your other card.

Room Tip: 308 gives great views of the square in front of the hotel and the river
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Westchester, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

We walked into the beautiful St. Regis Florence and never wanted to leave. The lobby, dining rooms and common areas are luxurious without being fussy, and the rooms are spectacular. Our king room had frescos on the wall and furniture that was both modern and old world. Our children's room, which was adjoining, was slightly larger than ours and even more opulent. Our butler was kind and helpful, and we all enjoyed the complementary morning beverages.
The concierge was very knowledgeable and helped us with priority admission to the sites as well as recommending some outstanding restaurants.
I would go back to Florence just to stay at the St. Regis again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Belfast, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

Beautiful hotel in a great location. The staff were all very friendly and speaking English was no problem for them.
It has to be one of the best run hotels I've stayed that I can remember. Bedding and towels comfortable. Bathrooms beautifully appointed too.

The only thing I'd like to have seen would be something other than the usual News channels for English speaking guests, but this is nothing unusual as anyone traveling knows - Someone give us some BBC or ITV !

I'd stay here again without hesitation.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Sofia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

The luxury in this hotel is really amazing. The design, the royal athmosphere and the outstanding view from the room as well. The location is perfect and you can make a nice walk by the river to Ponte Vecchio.There were a few things that supprised me at this place thou. I ordered a salad from the room service and what came was very far from a 5* experience. I know the restaurant is very gourmet, but why the food delivered in the room should be so basic I didn't understand. I also found the service to be a little cold and may be stressed by severe management or something.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business

Been to The St. Regis Florence? Share your experiences!